LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Check Tire Pressure Warning!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 04:47 PM
CashT1874
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check Tire Pressure Warning!!

I'm assuming there is an issue with the tire pressure sensors. Is this a DIY project, or do I have to take my car to the dealership or tire center? I tried the reset button under the dash, but that didn't seem to remove the warning.

2007 LS460L - 157K miles
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (06-28-20)
Old 06-28-20, 06:09 PM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by CashT1874
I'm assuming there is an issue with the tire pressure sensors. Is this a DIY project, or do I have to take my car to the dealership or tire center? I tried the reset button under the dash, but that didn't seem to remove the warning.

2007 LS460L - 157K miles
The TPMS is a much discussed subject in this forum. Lots of knowledge here

Here are links to recent discussions that will help you get started:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...s-display.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...hat-to-do.html

Old 06-28-20, 06:28 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by CashT1874

2007 LS460L - 157K miles
Oh, as for your original question, generally speaking Low Pressure Warning, is typically an indication that one or more wheels is reporting pressure that is below the warning threshold. And typically that is an inflation issue or a benchmark maladjustment issue - not a sensor issue - and can be resolved at little or no cost.
CamelKool (06-28-20)
Old 06-28-20, 06:41 PM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

I have an 07 like you and received the same warning

turned out my TPMS sensors were like yours 13 years old and the original batteries wore out thus reporting problems

so I went to Discount Tire where they installed new sensors including the spare

about the spare, they would not install a new sensor on it because the tire was also 13 years old

so I asked them to put a cheap $100 tire on the spare and a new sensor, no problems since

i do not have the equipment, time or willingness to try to do all this myself, much easier to pay Discount Tire
CamelKool (06-28-20)
Old 06-29-20, 11:10 AM
Ledfam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yep, i just got low tire pressure warning today.. all 5 tires have exactly 35. im assuming a sensor but its not the yellow malfunction light, its the low pressure light. in the past, when it was a tpms sensor, the low pressure light did not come on but the yellow triangle light did. have to take it to have it checked out
CamelKool (06-29-20)
Old 06-29-20, 01:13 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by Ledfam
yep, i just got low tire pressure warning today.. all 5 tires have exactly 35. im assuming a sensor but its not the yellow malfunction light, its the low pressure light. in the past, when it was a tpms sensor, the low pressure light did not come on but the yellow triangle light did. have to take it to have it checked out
So, what pressure do you think would trigger a low pressure warning?
CamelKool (06-29-20)
Old 06-29-20, 05:14 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Not an expert but I say just replace them at discount tire.
I did it earlier this year on my 2011. Since the average lifespan seems to be 5 to 10 years. Why deal with it later.
I had a problem with one stem leaking not the sensor. I just went ahead and ordered all lexus oem ones and had discount tire install.
Had to do it again I would just get the disc tire aftermarket ones.
Old 06-30-20, 07:00 AM
Discount Tire
Former Sponsor

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by CamelKool
it’s a discussion on this matter if you check below on the other threads about the Air pressure sensors. Not a DIY if you don’t have the tools 🛠 . If you do you can buy sensors on eBay or other sites for great prices. Discount Tires does them between $50/$60 a tire depends if they’ll cut you a deal for doing 4! If you want 2 or 1 replaced ask around and check via google on the topic. Just had mine done last week at Discount Tire. I didn’t want to wait on delivery of sensors via eBay but if you don’t mind waiting I’d get them cheap on eBay or other reputable site and ask mechanic or chain like Discount Tire how much to install! If you have tools to do it yourself even cheaper. Here’s a tutorial on how to do it without removing tire completely after removing wheel(you may have to rebalance them when removed from car): https://youtu.be/Maunq29ow2U
Yes, great info, and thank you for your business. The only thing i would add to this is that, if 1 or 2 TPMS batteries have died, its a good indication that they are getting near the end of their life due to them all being installed at the same time, unless one is damaged prematurely we usually recommend replacing them all at the same time.

Originally Posted by Ledfam
When you first start the vehicle, does the pressure light flash a few times prior to going solid? If so, this can be a system indication of a malfunction, usually the loss of signal from a sensor. If the light is just solid it is usually pressure related. Feel free to swing by our stores if you are able, we would be happy to scan the sensors.

Originally Posted by jmcraney
So, what pressure do you think would trigger a low pressure warning?
Most vehicles TPMS trigger at 25% below the baseline pressure (door placard).

@colfax @RR601

Thank you both for your business.

@CashT1874

If you would like a bit more information on the sensors here is a great reference. TPMS | Discount Tire

If you are near one of our Discount Tire stores, feel free to stop in, the guys would be happy to scan your sensors to determine if one or more has died, certainly at no charge.

If you have any questions or if there is anything we can do on our end to be of assistance feel free to reach out to us here.
The following 2 users liked this post by Discount Tire:
CamelKool (06-30-20), DaveGS4 (06-30-20)
Old 06-30-20, 07:45 AM
Ledfam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yes, thank you discount tire- it WAS a tpms not communicating!😀
The following 2 users liked this post by Ledfam:
CamelKool (06-30-20), Discount Tire (06-30-20)
Old 06-30-20, 09:33 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by Discount Tire
Most vehicles TPMS trigger at 25% below the baseline pressure (door placard).
New passenger vehicles sold in the US, since 2008, are required to trigger at 25% below "baseline." But for the Lexus LS460/600s, and some others, the "baseline," more commonly called the benchmark, for the TPMS is not the pressure that is posted on the door placard. The benchmark for each wheel, including the spare, on the LS460/600s is independently settable.

Last edited by jmcraney; 06-30-20 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 05:24 AM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Discount Tire
Yes, great info, and thank you for your business. The only thing i would add to this is that, if 1 or 2 TPMS batteries have died, its a good indication that they are getting near the end of their life due to them all being installed at the same time, unless one is damaged prematurely we usually recommend replacing them all at the same time.
Excellent advice. While it may not cost more to replace one at a time, the expenditure of time and the aggravation to bring the car in repeatedly just isn't worth it.
CamelKool (07-01-20)
Old 07-01-20, 10:10 AM
Discount Tire
Former Sponsor

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Excellent advice. While it may not cost more to replace one at a time, the expenditure of time and the aggravation to bring the car in repeatedly just isn't worth it.
You got it! Plus there's no telling how long the others will last after the first one goes, could be a year, a few weeks, a few days.

As much as we love our customers, we aim to keep the visits as far apart as possible for the same vehicle.
CamelKool (07-01-20)

Quick Reply: Check Tire Pressure Warning!!