LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2010 AWD air suspension- replaced rear struts only with coils

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-20, 02:24 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts
Default 2010 AWD air suspension- replaced rear struts only with coils

Originally Posted by BlazeViper
Just ignore sdls, I don't think I've ever seen him actually contribute anything useful lol
thread updated.

Last edited by sdls; 05-16-21 at 08:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sdls:
1WILLY1 (07-06-20), Shakka65 (12-09-20)
Old 07-05-20, 02:37 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
Just wanted to share my experience with you guys. Apologies in advance for the poor sentence structure in the following paragraphs. I’m typing this on my phone and I’m tired.

My car has AWD and air suspension. The rear air shocks were completely shot, fronts are merely worn but still usable. I replaced the rear air shocks with bargain basement brand (Duralo, rebadged Unity) ready-struts that cost me like $65 each with free shipping. I used Harbor Freight’s silicone cap kit and slipped two silicone caps on each disconnected air line, and stuck a zip tie on for good measure.

I drove the car for a few days including driving at highway speeds and want to say that it drives like a nice car for the first time. It doesn’t bounce like a riced out cut springs Civic anymore! Best of all, there are no suspension related warning lights on the dash. I didn’t disconnect the rear strut actuators; I left them as is. The front suspension that is still air ride works normally, including height high, comfort and sport modes.

To conclude: In my experience, you can replace each rear air shock with a regular coilover on an a-la-carte basis and the car won’t freak out as long as you cap off the air line and don’t disconnect any of the air suspension circuitry.

I will replace the front struts later on when I get some other front suspension parts together so I can do them all in one go.

On another topic, you can do a cheap oil change for a limited time. Mobil 1 0w20 EP High Mileage is $31.95/5qt jug at O Reilly auto parts; they currently have a $10 gift card MIR and Mobil Oil has a $12 MIR as well, making each 5qt jug cost only $10 plus tax. O Reilly’s Pennzoil-Branded Toyota/Lexus oil filter housing removal tool costs $9.99, and despite its dismal reviews it worked just fine for me to remove the filter housing.

hope this helps and be safe everyone!
this is good to know but you just mean the actuators are plugged in but just bumping around in there? Or how did you secure them.

I was thinking about doling this but I end up changing all 4 to oem and I disconnected all actuators no dash lights but will be a code is you read the odb
Old 07-05-20, 02:46 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

how can I fix my cars problem pleas?

Last edited by sdls; 05-16-21 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-06-20, 06:25 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

I actually have a set of reman air struts for the rear but my air lines didn’t survive being disconnected so I had to go with the cheap coils.

I’m not a rich man so I can’t spring for oem coils yet, haha. But OEM will have the best quality ride.

As far as the actuators go.. I haven’t reinstalled the rear interior yet so they’re currently sitting loose. :-/ I might try disconnecting them to see what happens if I can’t fit them and the dust cap over the new coil over mount.
update to above: thank you jdanielca for motivating me to slap the interior back together. The actuators tucked into the new struts just fine. The dust cover fits.
I’m still not done with mine I bought used parts but some did not work out, I think I’m going to swap out quite a few parts to new and sell on the used parts. I’ll post updates in my thread once I figure it out. You know I was almost inspired to do this because I read that the heavy factory armoured Mercedes S class uses air in the front and coils in the back. I have a heavy 4 seater so I was thinking doing factory coils in the back or some sort of heavy duty coils and air in the front. But I considered the way these factory coils are and they won’t survive Ukrainian roads for long so would be a waste of effort.

its connected to the strut mount part only by rubber so that **** is not built to last the oem strut mounts for coils has bearings.

I wonder If keeping front air helps handling in anyway.
Old 07-14-20, 05:58 PM
Leximum
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations! You are one heck of a gentleman for doing this and providing the procedure in full details, and offering your pride and joy for the trial coil replacement. I must say it is a daring attempt to just try out replacing the rear air with coil and leaving the air in front. Your effort proves to be a successful one for the record and the mass followers of your post. I am sure this procedure offers many of us the economic choice in replacing the air suspension when they are needed without cutting a gaping hole in our pockets. I, for one extremely glad to see your post, in particular, referencing my experience with the 2013 AWD with air, the rear of which is starting to show signs of fatigue albeit at under 42K mi. (FYI. one unit part alone is at least $1,400 +/- change).
Your post gives me the comfort of looking forward to rectifying the impending failure with some relief. Please continue to update us with further development of the front end suspension improvement. I am sure you will be drawing many followers. Cheers
The following users liked this post:
sdls (10-07-20)
Old 07-23-20, 05:35 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

thanks for help with car issue

Last edited by sdls; 05-16-21 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-05-20, 05:42 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

car has new problem pleas help!

Last edited by sdls; 05-16-21 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-06-20, 12:33 AM
Leximum
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am glad your effort has been very well received by your ride. Good on you. Would love to see your finale.
sdls (10-07-20)
Old 10-06-20, 10:53 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

well done , this is going to be more and more common as time goes on

Im supposed to bring mine into the shop tomorow for a full kyb and tannabe spring conversion, ill update if it happens
sdls (10-07-20)
Old 10-06-20, 11:04 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you have the link to the silicone caps kit?

Thanks

Just wanted to share my experience with you guys. Apologies in advance for the poor sentence structure in the following paragraphs. I’m typing this on my phone and I’m tired.

My car has AWD and air suspension. The rear air shocks were completely shot, fronts are merely worn but still usable. I replaced the rear air shocks with bargain basement brand (Duralo, rebadged Unity) ready-struts that cost me like $65 each with free shipping. I used Harbor Freight’s silicone cap kit and slipped two silicone caps on each disconnected air line, and stuck a zip tie on for good measure.

I drove the car for a few days including driving at highway speeds and want to say that it drives like a nice car for the first time. It doesn’t bounce like a riced out cut springs Civic anymore! Best of all, there are no suspension related warning lights on the dash. I didn’t disconnect the rear strut actuators; I left them as is. The front suspension that is still air ride works normally, including height high, comfort and sport modes.

To conclude: In my experience, you can replace each rear air shock with a regular coilover on an a-la-carte basis and the car won’t freak out as long as you cap off the air line and don’t disconnect any of the air suspension circuitry.

I will replace the front struts later on when I get some other front suspension parts together so I can do them all in one go.

On another topic, you can do a cheap oil change for a limited time. Mobil 1 0w20 EP High Mileage is $31.95/5qt jug at O Reilly auto parts; they currently have a $10 gift card MIR and Mobil Oil has a $12 MIR as well, making each 5qt jug cost only $10 plus tax. O Reilly’s Pennzoil-Branded Toyota/Lexus oil filter housing removal tool costs $9.99, and despite its dismal reviews it worked just fine for me to remove the filter housing.

hope this helps and be safe everyone!
sdls (10-07-20)
Old 10-07-20, 06:17 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

if u have car problem ask help

Last edited by sdls; 05-16-21 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-07-20, 06:20 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
well done , this is going to be more and more common as time goes on

Im supposed to bring mine into the shop tomorow for a full kyb and tannabe spring conversion, ill update if it happens
Thank you! Good luck with your conversion, hope it goes smoothly!

Originally Posted by Leximum
I am glad your effort has been very well received by your ride. Good on you. Would love to see your finale.
Thanks again for the very kind words sir!
Old 10-07-20, 06:53 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

It must have been discontinued by HF! That’s a disappointment. I bought the kit around five years ago from one of their stores. I looked it up and couldn’t find it anywhere. I will try to find the part number anyway when I get a chance. A similar kit is available on Amazon for $14.99-$20.
https://www.amazon.com/High-Temp-Sil.../dp/B00M589P42

Thanks........
Old 10-09-20, 06:37 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

have nice day

Last edited by sdls; 05-16-21 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-10-20, 02:40 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Just finished the job and converted the front passenger side to coil suspension.

No warning lights on the dash, ride is firm but controlled. Injured my hand from an errant drill mounted wire brush catching my rubber glove.
fulkkkkkkk about the hand but glad you are done , yeah enjoy the better ride
sdls (10-10-20)

Quick Reply: 2010 AWD air suspension- replaced rear struts only with coils