LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

$$$ Height compressor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 04:56 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by lwphat66
I feel for you, as I would not expect this from a vehicle with such low miles as yours even though it's 5 years old. Unfortunately, Lexus reliability has been in decline for a while now. A little research turned up a Technical Service Bulletin for this very issue and is to be covered under the basic warranty (which I know your car is recently out of now). It's been a while since I purchased a new vehicle, so I was surprised to learn that the Lexus Basic Warranty is only 48 months/50,000 miles.
Nice work digging up this TSB. While Lexus' new car warranty of 4 years/50K is fairly typical, I am surprised this "technical recall" is limited in duration to the new car warranty period. It's very likely that the OP's car has suffered this problem. She should show this to the Lexus dealer, and contact Corporate for a goodwill replacement, if the dealer is unwilling to honor the TSB.
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (07-12-20)
Old 07-12-20, 05:03 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
As for reliability, this car is the most reliable flagship luxury car you can buy. That caveat is an important one, its a big, expensive flagship car...and it has an air suspension option which is notorious for expensive issues across ALL cars, not just Lexus. You have to pay to play, if you bought a $90,000 vehicle new 5 years ago, putting out $2-3k for a repair 5 years in sucks but should be doable. This is not the sort of vehicle you should drive if you can't put your hands on $3k for a repair. Air suspension is a notorious issue on the LS430 and LS400 also.
My sincerest apologies SW17LS, I should have PM'd you instead. Lesson learned!

Last edited by lwphat66; 07-12-20 at 07:50 AM. Reason: should have PM'd this
Old 07-12-20, 05:05 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by comotiger
Nice work digging up this TSB. While Lexus' new car warranty of 4 years/50K is fairly typical, I am surprised this "technical recall" is limited in duration to the new car warranty period. It's very likely that the OP's car has suffered this problem. She should show this to the Lexus dealer, and contact Corporate for a goodwill replacement, if the dealer is unwilling to honor the TSB.
Your empathy, time, and willingness to help her inspired me!

CamelKool (07-12-20)
Old 07-12-20, 05:37 AM
ausLX
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

You do know it's possible to be helpful without being condescending too?

You've been pulled up before for doing the same thing you're doing right now. This is not going to go the way you think it is, SW17LS was not condescending in the slightest.
Old 07-12-20, 07:48 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

You are right, and I apologize. I should have PM'd him rather than post in this thread, as it was not helpful to the OP.
Old 07-12-20, 07:54 AM
ausLX
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

You are right, and I apologize. I should have PM'd him rather than post in this thread, as it was not helpful to the OP.
You're missing the point. You were being a **** for no reason, and even if you PM'd him, you would still be a ****. Stop being a ****.
Old 07-12-20, 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by ausLX
Yeah, I did read the thread. What I was getting at is it might be cheaper to buy coilovers and have them installed, and never have to worry about compressor issues again.
Compressor issues are very uncommon, and there's water in the OP's compressor meaning that it was exposed to water at some point. This is not a component failure this is hazard damage. Replacing the compressor, they may never have air suspension issues again.

OP, I'd try calling your insurance company. Why not? I would also take the TSB to the dealer, and call Lexus directly and see if you can get it goodwilled. I bet you can at least get the part covered.

It's been a while since I purchased a new vehicle, so I was surprised to learn that the Lexus Basic Warranty is only 48 months/50,000 miles.
Lexus' warranty has always been 48 months/50k miles, same as pretty much all luxury carmakers.

Not interested in receiving any PMs from you, but thanks.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-12-20 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-12-20, 05:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Saying what they “should” and “shouldn’t” do doesn’t help the OP. What helps are concrete suggestions about how to go about getting her car fixed at a reasonable cost.

The bottom line of it is, there’s a warranty with a set end date. If Lexus just good willed every repair that came after that end date, then that date wouldn’t have any meaning, and essentially the car would be warrantied forever.

Lexus has in the past goodwilled these kinds of things, but it’s very situation dependent. Depends on how you handle yourself with the dealer, whether you have all your service done there and have a relationship, and it depends on the dealer itself.

I think with this TSB and it being out of warranty just by age gives her a good shot at getting them to cover it, but it’s going to take work. I would discuss it with the dealer’s service manager, and then call Lexus and open a ticket if that doesn’t get you anywhere. If the OP has already lost her temper with the dealer as I’m concerned she may have, it’s going to be very hard. You need the dealer on your side to get something like this done.

They very well may not cover it though...they don’t have to. I would take it to an independent while you argue with Lexus.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
rmawyer (07-17-20), swfla (07-12-20)
Old 07-12-20, 05:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This isn’t a support group, it’s a car forum.
Old 07-12-20, 06:11 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This isn’t a support group, it’s a car forum.
A car forum that supports its members. Please try to stay on topic and be helpful to the OP. No reason to use the phrase "You have to pay to play." Pretty sure she bought that car with her hard earned money.

CamelKool (07-12-20)
Old 07-12-20, 06:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As I’ve said before, I will put my contributions to this community up against anybody’s. I have given the OP lots of advice in this thread.

But “you have to pay to play” is very valid. People like to blame the car when something comes up to be replaced and it’s expensive (as the OP did). It’s a very expensive car, and this repair is part of a sophisticated air suspension system that is known to have potential issues. You’d like to think nothing can go wrong early in the car’s life...but as we see here it can even if it’s unlikely. You have to be prepared to pay high repair costs when you buy a car like this. Pretending that isn’t true doesn’t help anybody. I passed on buying an LS for years because I wasn’t ready for the costs of having one, the acquisition cost and the costs of maintaining it. If you want to drive a car like this, then the cost of maintaining and repairing it is part of that. Hence “you have to pay to play”

If you can’t put your hands on $3k for a repair, and you’re going to buy one of these you’ve got to get a warranty. Finance it along with the car.

The OP can still get a warranty too...won’t help her for this repair but if she’s going to keep the car she should.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-12-20 at 06:21 PM.
rmawyer (07-17-20)
Old 07-12-20, 08:15 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Agree about being prepared to pay for any repair after out of warranty. Sounds like water got to the compressor. Not directly a faulty compressor. Not likely to occur again and an independent shop will offer better pricing on it's labor. The cost of repairs on high end cars is real and one must be prepared. For this same reason, I came back to Lexus after trying on a couple of Mercedes models. The cost of repair and normal maintenance was too high for my wallet. At least with Lexus I know there are a few more ways around high priced dealer repairs. Mercedes not so much. Also agree about being civil with dealer/service staff. Too often I read posts where the advice is to "demand" something from dealer. Bad advice in my opinion.

Last edited by swfla; 07-12-20 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 05:01 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Here's a great hands-on observation from a member that may be very pertinent to the root cause of this issue.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10699091

CamelKool (07-13-20)
Old 07-13-20, 09:49 AM
tiffany16
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry for the late reply. I do appreciate everyone's kindness and advice, The dealer remains reluctant for negotiation even with the great information that @lwphat66 has found. Without another choice, I took my car back as they are already not happy with me keeping their RX as hostage for so long. At least with the diagnostic fee that I have paid, I know what parts are needed for repair. Fortunately, the car has not decided to sit on the ground yet (as for today).

Spending the whole afternoon yesterday researching reputable independent shops in town that have records of fixing Lexus, I managed to find three. Apparently, the part (height compressor) itself is very expensive such that there is not much room for substantial saving, Hence, I am more leaning toward to let a dealer to get the job done. As a separate note, bringing the car back to the dealer where I purchased it from (in IL) is not feasible; let alone the tedious, mentally abusive and lengthy drive. I may sound like a cheapskate, which I do not deny. Had I not bought this car, I would have been working on my house by now. Nevertheless, what is done is done. I need to be responsible for my decision.

Meanwhile, I have just visited another dealer. Explaining my situation to them with the awesome bulletin information, they said they would not run a diagnosis again. I never know the service records are shared among the dealers. My case is now being reviewed by a higher rank person in the dealer. It all depends on whether Lexus will agree to cover the cost of the part now and I was told not to keep my hopes high (although I have some leverages - low mile). They said the earliest failure they had seen was at 80k miles. Surely what happens to my car is extremely rare. May be I should buy a lottery ticket?? They said water damage was not considered as a mechanical failure by definition. I will definitely keep all of you updated. Needless to say, I am more than happy to pay for the labour if things go smooth. Let's see how it goes. The worst case scenario is to cash it out at carmax (assuming they accept a limping car) and get a car that never breaks (Camry perhaps)?

Thank you all again for your thoughts and inputs!

And sorry I replied to the wrong thread earlier =(
The following 2 users liked this post by tiffany16:
CamelKool (07-13-20), SW17LS (07-13-20)
Old 07-13-20, 10:51 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by tiffany16
Sorry for the late reply. I do appreciate everyone's kindness and advice, The dealer remains reluctant for negotiation even with the great information that @lwphat66 has found. Without another choice, I took my car back as they are already not happy with me keeping their RX as hostage for so long. At least with the diagnostic fee that I have paid, I know what parts are needed for repair. Fortunately, the car has not decided to sit on the ground yet (as for today).

Spending the whole afternoon yesterday researching reputable independent shops in town that have records of fixing Lexus, I managed to find three. Apparently, the part (height compressor) itself is very expensive such that there is not much room for substantial saving, Hence, I am more leaning toward to let a dealer to get the job done. As a separate note, bringing the car back to the dealer where I purchased it from (in IL) is not feasible; let alone the tedious, mentally abusive and lengthy drive. I may sound like a cheapskate, which I do not deny. Had I not bought this car, I would have been working on my house by now. Nevertheless, what is done is done. I need to be responsible for my decision.

Meanwhile, I have just visited another dealer. Explaining my situation to them with the awesome bulletin information, they said they would not run a diagnosis again. I never know the service records are shared among the dealers. My case is now being reviewed by a higher rank person in the dealer. It all depends on whether Lexus will agree to cover the cost of the part now and I was told not to keep my hopes high (although I have some leverages - low mile). They said the earliest failure they had seen was at 80k miles. Surely what happens to my car is extremely rare. May be I should buy a lottery ticket?? They said water damage was not considered as a mechanical failure by definition. I will definitely keep all of you updated. Needless to say, I am more than happy to pay for the labour if things go smooth. Let's see how it goes. The worst case scenario is to cash it out at carmax (assuming they accept a limping car) and get a car that never breaks (Camry perhaps)?

Thank you all again for your thoughts and inputs!

And sorry I replied to the wrong thread earlier =(
Hi Tiffany,

Wishing you good luck in working with the dealership to get some of the costs covered by them. If things do not work out favorably for you with the dealership, and you are still open to using an independent garage, here is another alternative. Arnott Industries has a 100% original replacement compressor for about half the cost from Lexus. While I personally have not installed one of these, I have used Arnott compressors in other applications, and they have worked without any issues. If I were in your situation, I would most likely go this route. Installation appears fairly easy and plug & play for the most part. Additionally, it includes a limited lifetime warranty.

PS Don't be so hard on yourself, I'm certain many of us have made decisions we wish we hadn't. It's all part of life and learning and acquiring knowledge so we can make better decisions down the road. And it sounds like your parent awesome Celsior may have had an influence in your decision to purchase the LS.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/p-3...wb-lwb-rwd-awd

https://www.carid.com/arnott/air-sus...pn-p-3188.html

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...8/applications
CamelKool (07-13-20)

Quick Reply: $$$ Height compressor replacement