LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Affordable, budget conscious tire options for the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-20, 11:03 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
Thanks for the responses guys.
I am leery of the close out P Zero Nero tires at Tirerack because they are 2015 production. I don’t put many miles on my car and therefore I would end up with dry rotted tires in a couple years with lots of tread remaining. The other thing is that it gets really cold and snowy in my area in winter and I won’t get snow tires so I need all seasons that are truly all season, not a tarted up summer performance tire.
I just looked at the date code on my old Monte Carlo. 2003!!!

Old 07-24-20, 11:52 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I am leery of the close out P Zero Nero tires at Tirerack because they are 2015 production. I don’t put many miles on my car and therefore I would end up with dry rotted tires in a couple years with lots of tread remaining. The other thing is that it gets really cold and snowy in my area in winter and I won’t get snow tires so I need all seasons that are truly all season, not a tarted up summer performance tire.
Another vote for the Pirelli P7 tires. Have had two sets on my LS460 and they are excellent. I would not be too worried about 2015 production tires if they truly are 2015. Even if you don't put a lot of miles on the car you should not have dry rotted tires after a couple of years. That would be pretty crazy to see after only a couple years. Also, by going for much cheaper tires you will certainly sacrifice quality. As you say you don't drive very much your car must be sitting. Much higher chance of flat spotting in cheap tires. Lastly, as others have said and I say it all the time. You do not skimp on safety items. Tires and brakes are what keep you alive. I never recommend going cheap on those items. 4ish inches of the tires are literally the only thing between you and the road, I always recommend to choose wisely.
Old 07-24-20, 12:12 PM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Anybody have experience running affordable tires on their LS460?

Walmart has Achilles ATR Sport 2 tires for $67 each
(Indonesian brand, probably made in Indonesia?)
Amazon has Milestar MS932 tires for $70 each (Taiwan brand, unknown actual country of manufacture)
Walmart has Lexani LXUHP-207 tires for $75 each
(South Korean brand, probably made in South Korea)
There are other cheap tire brands but their brand names sound super sketchy.

Im stuck in analysis paralysis between these choices. The Milestar tires seem really promising with great reviews, all of them seeming to uniformly praise the tires smoothness, ride comfort, quietness and long tread life.

I want tires that are affordable but yet will also outperform the tires on my car. My rear tires are currently Michelin Pilot MXMV4 from 2015 and the fronts are Michelin Premier LTX from 2017. The rear tires are glass-smooth in the middle tread and the fronts have about 2mm tread remaining in the middle. The car came with the tires like this, I’ve only put about 7000 miles on it in the two years I’ve owned it.

I don’t want the car fishtailing around again this winter and think it is overdue for some excellent yet affordable tires. Any thoughts? Thanks!
The dealer who sold me my AWD LS put the cheap Achilles on the car. They were ok in perfect weather. if there was rain, they sucked. When the first snow of that season hit, the car was like a Cow on Ice. I went with Michelin premier LTX SL tires when I blew one of the Achilles out over that summer and the ride was night and day. Cannot say how well they handle in the snow yet, We did not have a snowfall that is significant enough to make a good comparison this past winter.
Old 07-24-20, 12:22 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

Crossclimate+ from Michelin perform extremely well in snow and ice, they also act like a performance tire the rest of the year. The only drawback I have noticed is that they are extremely loud vs something like a primacy to the tune of 6-10db
Old 07-24-20, 02:17 PM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Don’t cheap out on tires and brakes. Your life is worth the spend.
Old 07-24-20, 03:06 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikerx80
Don’t cheap out on tires and brakes. Your life is worth the spend.
Ha!!! Thread incoming, $5.66 RockAuto brake job

ps: the photo lies. The metal clips aren't actually included
Old 07-24-20, 03:08 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Crossclimate+ from Michelin perform extremely well in snow and ice, they also act like a performance tire the rest of the year. The only drawback I have noticed is that they are extremely loud vs something like a primacy to the tune of 6-10db
Fantastic information. Thanks a lot. Michelin has Crossclimate2 coming out for $218 each, sometime next month. I was intrigued. But looking at that tread pattern, I just imagined it sounding like a DieselBro's 33" tires on the open road. The tread pattern looks like something from the 90s!
Old 07-24-20, 03:10 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vtallysx4
The dealer who sold me my AWD LS put the cheap Achilles on the car. They were ok in perfect weather. if there was rain, they sucked. When the first snow of that season hit, the car was like a Cow on Ice. I went with Michelin premier LTX SL tires when I blew one of the Achilles out over that summer and the ride was night and day. Cannot say how well they handle in the snow yet, We did not have a snowfall that is significant enough to make a good comparison this past winter.
Great stuff man, that's 1:1 directly useful feedback for my AWD LS. The tire that I'm considering performs a lot worse than the tire I already have (up front)
Old 07-24-20, 03:11 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
I just looked at the date code on my old Monte Carlo. 2003!!!
That is quite nice..

The car looks great too. You kept the factory aircon, good man!
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (07-25-20)
Old 07-24-20, 03:12 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
If you are going to buy “off-brand” tires, go for the brands that are subsidiary of a major tire company. For example, Ripken is a subsidiary of Michelin.
If it's worth something, I think that Milestar is a subsidiary of Nankang Tire
Old 07-24-20, 03:32 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

That's not telling at all, the crossclimate 2 specifically calls out improvements to noise.....I can't imagine why lol!

Doesn't look like the tread will be as effective for dry handling to me unless they altered the compound. To much siping for my tastes but I'll give them a go anyway since I'm having such a good time with the +s

Great turn in and bite even with the isolation of a 430 compared to primacys and better lateral grip as well as a very telegraphed break away point and easy to control rotation through a corner

Last edited by Striker223; 07-24-20 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-24-20, 04:20 PM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I just got a new set of Continental Pure Contact and I love them. My new acquired LS460 got Michelin AS3 and they are down to 4/32 when I got it. Paid $800 with promo and cash back from Discount Tire 2 weeks ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by GS300ken:
davidcvigi (08-03-20), Discount Tire (07-25-20)
Old 07-24-20, 04:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I would recommend the Vredestein Quatrac Pro. Look them up on TireRack.

all the more reason why you don’t want cheap tires
Old 07-24-20, 05:33 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would recommend the Vredestein Quatrac Pro. Look them up on TireRack.

all the more reason why you don’t want cheap tires
I got this error, maybe they dont have the tires in 235-50-18 at the car's speed and load rating?

Old 07-24-20, 05:36 PM
2XOWN
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2008 RWD General Altimax RT, not too expensive, great all around tire, good in snow, but nothing beats 4 snows

Quick Reply: Affordable, budget conscious tire options for the LS460