LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Affordable, budget conscious tire options for the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 04:24 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No doubt Michelins are the most consistent with quality, and given equal attributes I would choose Michelin, but they don't make anything right now that ride as soft or are as quiet as I like. I was exited when I saw the new Primacy Tour but the TireRack test results were a disappointment.

How many miles are on them? I have found that the P7s get quieter once they break in. Mine are silent on all but the coarsest of road surfaces, and I have 19" wheels.
This is what I'm hoping. I have about 1100 miles on them so far and I must say they are less noisy today as opposed to when I put them on 2 weeks ago. I put them on my wife's GS last year and even though I have only driven her car about 2 times I never heard the tires make any noise. I think the factory Michelin tires that were on the car when I bought it was the best tire for the car but they are like $250 a tire and I wasn't about to spend that kind of money on a tire. When they were worn and noisy they still gripped the road pretty good. Like I said, I like the P7 they just seem a bit noisy.

Last edited by sha4000; 07-29-20 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-29-20, 05:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
Do you drive the P7s in the winter?
I have driven on them in the winter many times, including In my RWD LS460 and they are actually very good in the winter.

Originally Posted by SpruceRain
Oh, the P7 Plus is an all season tire...I though you had summer tires. The P7 II summer tire is the one not available in OEM size.

What tire pressure do you use? I've seen some people commenting here that they run lower than the recommended 2.5bar/36psi, not sure whether that's more for ride or to reduce noise.
Yeah they're all seasons. I run them at 31 PSI cold. I find they ride a little softer that way.

Quite a few people seem to really like the Michelin CrossClimate in terms of noise, but on 4LS owner here said they were very noisy...Having read that the quietest tire design should be continuous ribs running around the circumference, with straight grooves in between, the CrossClimate doesn't look ideal in that regard.
CrossClimates are VERY loud.

The Ohtsu FP7000 has really caught my eye. Ohtsu and Falken are part of the Sumitomo group, and the FP7000 is a rebranding of the Falken Ziex ZE512. I have great memories of the ZE512 from almost two decades ago on an Avalon. Unstoppable in the rain, coffin-quiet on the highway. Most reviews online are favorable, and best of all I can just march into Discount Tire and pay $86 each for them. I mean, I really want to love the Pirelli P7 and the Conti DWS but I can't make the leap to pay twice as much.
I have Falken Zier ZE512s on my Pacifica minivan, this is my second Pacifica and both of them have had these tires, they suck and get worse as they get older. Loud, hard as rocks. I'm considering replacing them on the new van even with 200 miles on them.

Originally Posted by sha4000
This is what I'm hoping. I have about 1100 miles on them so far and I must say they are less most today as opposed to when I put them on 2 weeks ago. I put them on my wife's GS last year and even though I have only driven her car about 2 times I never heard the tired make any noise. I think the factory Michelin tires that were in the car when I bought it was the best tire for the car but they are like $250 a tired and I want about to spend that kind of money in a tire. When when they were work and noisy they still gripped the road pretty good. Like I said, I like the P7 they just seem a bit noisy.
They shouldn't be noisy. I drove mine today with the radio off, and on normal pavement they are almost silent, on a rough road you hear the coarse road surface but it feels fairly far away.
Old 07-29-20, 06:10 PM
roshko
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

The Ohtsu FP7000 has really caught my eye. Ohtsu and Falken are part of the Sumitomo group, and the FP7000 is a rebranding of the Falken Ziex ZE512. I have great memories of the ZE512 from almost two decades ago on an Avalon. Unstoppable in the rain, coffin-quiet on the highway. Most reviews online are favorable, and best of all I can just march into Discount Tire and pay $86 each for them. I mean, I really want to love the Pirelli P7 and the Conti DWS but I can't make the leap to pay twice as much.

But I'll have a hard time looking at myself in the mirror when my car has tires that have the word "Ohtsu" on them.

edited to correct parent company from bridgestone to sumitomo
DWS are the best all season I have found. I have them on two of my cars right now. I can usually get 50-60k miles out of them. A few years ago when I got mine mounted I took my Volvo up to Quebec for a few weeks and it handled the snow amazing for a non winter tire.
The following users liked this post:
sdls (07-29-20)
Old 07-29-20, 07:35 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
Are they the AS1! I just replaced those after 18 months and 31k miles and they were toast. I would not purchase those tires again and would not recommend them to anyone that does lots of driving and racking up miles. They were ok for the first 20k miles then they started getting real noisy and unpredictable in the highway. By 30k they were unacceptable with about 4/32 left and down right dangerous at 31k. I swapped then out for the Pirelli P7 which everyone races about and although they are smooth up to triple digits they are a bit noisy IMO. Maybe it's they won't noise but even those crappy tire I just replaced were less noisy when new than the P7.
No they are the newer AS/P02.
Old 07-29-20, 09:51 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

The Pirelli Cinturato p7 plus (original) that was on closeout at TireRack for $165 is now unfortunately out of stock in 235-50-18. Well, that sucks. Just as I was starting to convince my wife, too!
Old 07-29-20, 10:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,030 Likes on 2,545 Posts

^^ I have a set I find them good not great and an incredibly over rated tire.
sdls (07-30-20)
Old 07-30-20, 04:23 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

What model of Michelin tires are you using?
the Michelins on my car are smooth riding in terms of vibration but the totally bald rear Pilot MXM4s are noisy above 50mph. At least I think it’s the tires making that noise. The premier LTXs up front are harsh hitting on bumps.

by the way, no reason to be passionate about oils. Use Mobil 1 EP and a factory filter. Done
Hi SDLS, I have the Primacy MXM4 on my LS I bought used with no patches for 250$. I plan on getting a set of Primacy Tours, or Premier A/S next set.
I like the idea of the Pirelli P7 v2 but I got used to the W rated and Michelin stiffer sidewall an feel the P7 will be too soft in a V rated tire.
Kudos to you to like the EP mobil 1 great oil have used since my 2000 Ls400 and much better oil than the regular Mobil 1. Now switched to Penzoil Platinum due to it being derived from Natural gas...
cheers
sdls (07-30-20)
Old 07-30-20, 06:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
^^ I have a set I find them good not great and an incredibly over rated tire.
Whats overrated? They're a good, quiet, nice riding tire that is pretty inexpensive comparatively. Not sure what else anybody has ever said they are. Are there other good nice riding tires? Sure.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-30-20 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-30-20, 06:50 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
Hi SDLS, I have the Primacy MXM4 on my LS I bought used with no patches for 250$. I plan on getting a set of Primacy Tours, or Premier A/S next set.
I like the idea of the Pirelli P7 v2 but I got used to the W rated and Michelin stiffer sidewall an feel the P7 will be too soft in a V rated tire.
Kudos to you to like the EP mobil 1 great oil have used since my 2000 Ls400 and much better oil than the regular Mobil 1. Now switched to Penzoil Platinum due to it being derived from Natural gas...
cheers
I’m starting to think a stiff sidewall might be necessary for me with the poor quality roads we have in my area. I don’t want to deal with sidewall bubbles after hitting a pothole on the highway.
Old 07-30-20, 06:54 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Whats overrated? They're a good, quiet, nice riding tire that is pretty inexpensive comparatively. Not sure what else anybody has ever said they are. Are there other good nice riding tires? Sure.
How well do the p7 IIs handle sitting for a few days? Do they flat spot for the first few miles out of the gate? In my use case the car will go several, maybe up to four days between uses at this point.
Old 07-30-20, 07:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’m starting to think a stiff sidewall might be necessary for me with the poor quality roads we have in my area. I don’t want to deal with sidewall bubbles after hitting a pothole on the highway.
You'll be fine with a good set of tires. I drive regularly in DC and the roads in the city are terrible. I have never developed a sidewall bubble on any tire.

How well do the p7 IIs handle sitting for a few days? Do they flat spot for the first few miles out of the gate? In my use case the car will go several, maybe up to four days between uses at this point.
No problem.
sdls (07-30-20)
Old 07-30-20, 09:36 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by SpruceRain
Oh, the P7 Plus is an all season tire...I though you had summer tires. The P7 II summer tire is the one not available in OEM size.

What tire pressure do you use? I've seen some people commenting here that they run lower than the recommended 2.5bar/36psi, not sure whether that's more for ride or to reduce noise.

Picking tires is really difficult. I have real winter tires for the colder months, so it seems daft to buy non-summer tires for the other half of the year. On the other hand, all season tires ought to have softer compound which might be less noisy. Then on yet another hand, their braking performance is supposedly worse on wet roads. Quite a few people seem to really like the Michelin CrossClimate in terms of noise, but on 4LS owner here said they were very noisy...Having read that the quietest tire design should be continuous ribs running around the circumference, with straight grooves in between, the CrossClimate doesn't look ideal in that regard.
Crossclimates are loud as hell, 6-11db more than primacy MXMs. They work great but are the furthest thing from a quiet tire, there is constant road noise and if the pavement is anything but near perfect smooth every single expansion joint and crack will produce a difference in tone.

Performance wise they are awesome, really predictable breakaway, easy to rotate the car through a turn, don't heat up easily, can sustain 100+ for hours, can ignore rain entirely, and they provide great feedback and feel. Drawback is they are stiffer and very loud.

They are likely going to be the only tire I use since the overall performance is outstanding and I'm willing to live with the noise.

Last edited by Striker223; 07-30-20 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-30-20, 09:55 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Crossclimates are loud as hell, 6-11db more than primacy MXMs. They work great but are the furthest thing from a quiet tire, there is constant road noise and if the pavement is anything but near perfect smooth every single expansion joint and crack will produce a difference in tone.

Performance wise they are awesome, really predictable breakaway, easy to rotate the car through a turn, don't heat up easily, can sustain 100+ for hours, can ignore rain entirely, and they provide great feedback and feel. Drawback is they are stiffer and very loud.

They are likely going to be the only tire I use since the overall performance is outstanding and I'm willing to live with the noise.
Is the tire noise from the CrossClimate obnoxiously loud? Does it drown out conversation or sound like a bad wheel bearing?
Old 07-30-20, 11:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They’re pretty loud. I wouldn’t put them on a car like the LS
Old 07-30-20, 03:18 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

SW17LS, what differences have you noticed between the Pirelli Cinturato P7 and the Cinturato P7 II? Feedback and info on the P7 II is somewhat scarce online since its so new.

Quick Reply: Affordable, budget conscious tire options for the LS460