LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Strange KEY problem....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 01:06 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Well, I pulled the battery for like a 1/2 hour, put it back together... no change, it's still doing the same thing.

This all just started less than a week ago. The car was sitting for quite a while (maybe 5-7 or so days).

I have a slow 12v charger, I use on my riding mower, maybe I should use this and plug it in overnight ? Thoughts ?

I am going to for like a 1/2 hour ride, should that be enough to fully charge possible low battery, or does it need a longer time to charge correctly ?

It's the only thing I can think of here. The remote battery was changed, when I get into the car, I have no problem starting or driving the car.
Old 07-31-20, 01:12 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

David, long shot, but did you have this problem before installing the CarPlay kit? Maybe some connection got jostled behind the dash, and you are seeing an intermittent issue.
Old 07-31-20, 02:22 PM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
LOL, yes, drunk bidding, not a good thing. Well, USED keys on eBay tend to go $110-175 for used ones, getting one that looks MINT for $70 and claimed works perfect with a new battery, I would of jumped at that sober

I DID NOT drive after drinking, I never do that even after one drink, too much to lose if I got stopped and it's just NOT worth the risk.

Well TODAY, I was checking some things out with my Android Auto install, trying some new cables, etc. And this problem happened again. It was doing it's noise then stopped, I went back to the car and it did it again. My wife just came home so I was talking to her for about 3-4 min... I went back to the car and it locked fine.

I am going pull the battery for a while, and see if this happens again...
The cause of the problem that you are experiencing with your Smart Access feature is likely Radio Frequency Interference. Possible sources of RFI are personal electronic devices that you might be wearing or carrying.
Old 07-31-20, 02:30 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by comotiger
David, long shot, but did you have this problem before installing the CarPlay kit? Maybe some connection got jostled behind the dash, and you are seeing an intermittent issue.
I am doing some troubleshooting and right I am suspecting that has something to do with it.. The Carplay kit does not shut off when the car is powered off, it takes about 40-120 seconds for it to go off.

I have a USB-C cable that has a LED on so when it was getting power... the car was beeeeeeeepppp (a long beep), then as soon as the LED on the cable went off, the car locked fine and worked as it should.

I am going to capture a video tonight, put on YouTube, I'll post here and I will send it over to Cosmo the guy who supports the device... It's Friday night, so this wont be a quick one...He normally does not reply on Saturday nights...

I know my connections are secure, I even taped down connections that might get pulled apart.. I will pull the device out and check everything tomorrow...just in case...

Last edited by DavidinCT; 07-31-20 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-31-20, 03:36 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Good luck with that. I hope it is a simple fix that resolves your problem. Are you planning to just check the device under the glove box or also all the connections behind the dash? It will be a drag if you have to take apart the dash again to check things.

BTW, I will be taking apart my dash tomorrow to install the WiFi dongle in the Beatsonic kit for wireless mirroring of my iPhone. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't mess anything up!
Old 07-31-20, 04:01 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Good luck with that. I hope it is a simple fix that resolves your problem. Are you planning to just check the device under the glove box or also all the connections behind the dash? It will be a drag if you have to take apart the dash again to check things.

BTW, I will be taking apart my dash tomorrow to install the WiFi dongle in the Beatsonic kit for wireless mirroring of my iPhone. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't mess anything up!
Nah, it's under the rug on the passengers side, like they did in Steve's LS. I just have to pull the lower panel on the passenger's side and pull the rug back a little to get access.

Could something have shifted or something, maybe ??? It should not take too long to get access, I would do it tonight but, just don't feel like it now...it's been kind of a long day..

Good luck on your job, It's not too hard, just a little time consuming as it was for me because I DIDN'T want to damage anything.
Old 08-01-20, 11:24 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

So, I pulled the device out. All connections are secure as expected. I didn't rip the dash out because, everything is a clip on cable, I would say almost impossible for that to happen (or you would see tons of random people having issues with their OEM systems) . I am going to do a long YouTube video to send to the vendor. I will post it here.

The beeeeeppp happens, I got to the vendor's device unplug it and it stops...

EDIT: I figured this out... It was an dumb error and not sure WHY it caused problems. Well, the long story with this device, is your phone loses more power than it charges I had to some testing and during testing I went for a 45 min ride, my phone was at 90% battery when I left, I plugged it in and it was at 79% when I unplugged it.

After some research on this problem, People used a power inserter like used on USB hard drives, Like this one.... and EVEN one of the first reviews said, they use it with Android Auto and with a charger it adds power to be able to charge your phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZUE6PVE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZUE6PVE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I tried it and have not gone into a long enough test but, in the few short drives it seemed to charge it, Problem fixed...so I thought. No issues, no changes, no updates on the Android auto device. I used it for 3 or 4 days with out an issue.

Then a few days later this started happening at random. Didn't honestly think it would cause an issue as Toyota and Lexus cars do not keep their 12v cigarette lighters active when the car is shut off. Once the car is off they are shut off, so no reason why this did this.

My charger is a QUALCOMM Quick Charge 3.0 device... Again, Still not sure why it would do this.

I guess using this for to add power is not an option, I guess I will look into a fast wireless charging device to charge my phone...

It just stinks that I pulled everything out to check when it was a simple cable...sigh...

Warning to other people who have this, power cables like the one on Amazon don't work with these devices....

Last edited by DavidinCT; 08-01-20 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Black31385 (08-01-20)