LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tire pressure Display in instrument panel

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-20, 04:28 PM
D.K.
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure Display in instrument panel

My 07 instrument panel display of tire pressure merely displays a "single file" line-up of PSI readings. No image of a vehicle in the middle of the PSI readings to provide you an orientation of which PSI reading corresponds to which tire like the owners manual shows. Does anyone else's show this? or which reading from top to bottom is the "left front" and so forth.

Thanks
Old 08-07-20, 04:42 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I would like to know also
Old 08-07-20, 05:38 PM
jmcraney

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

TPMS localization didn’t come to the LS460/600s until the 2013 models. For the ‘07 -‘12 models the tire pressures are not displayed in particular order related to their position on the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by jmcraney:
ALK (08-07-20), joedaddy1 (08-08-20), sha4000 (08-07-20)
Old 08-08-20, 12:51 AM
SpruceRain
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

The tire pressure order is not connected to the position of the sensors in the car, but it seems to me that they're shown in the order they were inputted during the sensor registration process. I always leave the spare as the last, and the spare (on which I maintain a significantly higher pressure) is always the last one on the list.

If they are indeed always shown in that order, I guess one could read the sensor IDs straight from the sensors with one of those special tools, and then register them in a clockwise (or left-to-right, front-to-rear) order, again leaving the spare for the last for clarity's sake.

EDIT: The special tool a tire shop used to read (and then register) my unknown sensor IDs was a Cub Sensor-Aid. It's a bit expensive, though...

Last edited by SpruceRain; 08-08-20 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-08-20, 07:20 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 451 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by D.K.
My 07 instrument panel display of tire pressure merely displays a "single file" line-up of PSI readings. No image of a vehicle in the middle of the PSI readings to provide you an orientation of which PSI reading corresponds to which tire like the owners manual shows. Does anyone else's show this? or which reading from top to bottom is the "left front" and so forth.

Thanks
I have an '07 as well, and when I put on new wheels and tires the car did not automatically read the new sensors. I used my Autel TS508 which activated the new sensors and inputted them in clockwise order starting with the Front Driver side wheel and ended with the spare. As SpruceRain noted, the display is not in random order each time you start the car, but is most likely in the order in which each sensor was inputted.

With the old wheels and tires, I took time and deflated and inflated each tire in order to determine which psi displayed was which tire. Then I noted it on a couple of pieces of paper, keeping one inside the center console for me to refer to when checking air pressures. The order displayed remained constant, as I conducted follow-up tests to verify that nothing had changed.

The following users liked this post:
SpruceRain (08-08-20)
Old 08-08-20, 08:10 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by lwphat66
I have an '07 as well, and when I put on new wheels and tires the car did not automatically read the new sensors. I used my Autel TS508 which activated the new sensors and inputted them in clockwise order starting with the Front Driver side wheel and ended with the spare. As SpruceRain noted, the display is not in random order each time you start the car, but is most likely in the order in which each sensor was inputted.

With the old wheels and tires, I took time and deflated and inflated each tire in order to determine which psi displayed was which tire. Then I noted it on a couple of pieces of paper, keeping one inside the center console for me to refer to when checking air pressures. The order displayed remained constant, as I conducted follow-up tests to verify that nothing had changed.

Originally Posted by SpruceRain
The tire pressure order is not connected to the position of the sensors in the car, but it seems to me that they're shown in the order they were inputted during the sensor registration process. I always leave the spare as the last, and the spare (on which I maintain a significantly higher pressure) is always the last one on the list.

If they are indeed always shown in that order, I guess one could read the sensor IDs straight from the sensors with one of those special tools, and then register them in a clockwise (or left-to-right, front-to-rear) order, again leaving the spare for the last for clarity's sake.
Don't forget to keep up with locations when you rotate your wheels.

Last edited by jmcraney; 08-08-20 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-08-20, 02:54 PM
SpruceRain
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Don't forget to keep up with locations when you rotate your wheels.
I only drive around 3500 miles per tire set (summer/winter) before switching to the other set, so I get to choose which tire to put where twice a year anyway.
I wonder, though, which tires does an LS600h wear more? It's front-heavy, with a rear-bias AWD...

Someone put the TPMS sensor IDs on stickers behind my wheel centre caps, btw. That's really smart, though I fear the centre caps are no longer on the correct wheels.

Any ideas on a cheap tool that can read the pressure from the sensor? When I had no idea what my winter tire sensor IDs were (before I discovered the stickers!), a tire shop used Cub Sensor-Aid to read the IDs straight from each sensor, without any connection to the car. It's a pretty expensive device, though.
Old 08-08-20, 04:34 PM
jmcraney

I don’t have any knowledge about tire wear for AWD.

There are tools for capturing sensor IDs at prices in the 200-300 US$ range. Might be worth seeing how much a tire dealer would charge to do that. The IDs are usually printed on the sensors so dismounting the tires is a possibility - maybe just breaking the bead would work.