LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best Sounding Exhaust for my LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20 | 07:10 AM
Mileguy72
2nd gear

Default Best Sounding Exhaust for my LS 460

So I’ve been having a hard time deciding how to modify my exhaust set up. Here’s what I’m trying to accomplish;
  • I want a deep, throaty sound at idle and at low to mid rpm ranges.
  • looking to spend as little money as possible
  • Im not needing anything obnoxiously loud that will make my neighbors hate me, but I do want it loud enough that it’s satisfying to hear from inside the cabin at idle.
  • Increasing performance isn’t a goal, but is a nice bonus.
  • I don’t mind a little engine drone, but I’m looking to avoid excessive amounts

All that this dude did was a muffler delete and honestly from the video it sounded pretty good, but mufflers are required where I live and it was just a little too loud for my taste:

Right now I’ve come up with two ideas, the first is just to replace both mufflers with high quality straight through glass packs from magna flow. I think that might check all the boxes I have.

the second idea I’ve had is to remove all the resonators and mufflers and only replace it with a Flowmaster 40, or something similar that gives a really great engine tone.

The LS is sooo quiet from the factory (as most luxury cars are) that it’s hard to know what to do to get a better exhaust sound.

Any ideas for me? Has anyone found a setup that sounds particularly deep and aggressive? Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Santa01 (10-19-20)
Old 08-19-20 | 07:35 AM
DerrickM
Advanced

There's a gentleman here that sells something for this specific purpose. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...ust-vents.html
The following 2 users liked this post by DerrickM:
1stock06 (08-30-20), NotFasty (08-27-20)
Old 08-19-20 | 12:26 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

My stock mufflers are making noise (at least I think they are) and I'm looking for an economical way to fix the exhaust. Anyway there are a few manufacturers that make mufflers that I think will roughly fit into the spot where the muffler goes.
1. megan exhaust makes a really nice looking catback for around $400
2. flowmaster has straight-through stainless mufflers for ~$44 each that match the factory offset in/center out config but they are shorter so they'll need to have an extension pipe clamped or welded on. (https://www.holley.com/products/exha...es/parts/71225)

if you have good stock mufflers that aren't rusty and would like to sell them cheap let me know
Old 08-27-20 | 11:34 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Mileguy72 - Have you contacted me? I get lots of emails, and it's not easy to relate a name, username and email. But what you describe that you want is what Exhaust Vents deliver. But with 0 drone.

However, I think I did just send some to Utah … arriving tomorrow (8/28). Maybe that was you?

The following 2 users liked this post by Oliver Enterprises:
1stock06 (08-30-20), NotFasty (08-27-20)
Old 08-27-20 | 04:30 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

I am going to do electric cutouts. Open will be a turndown before the muffler/resonators. Closed will be routed to a pair of Borla Atak.
Old 08-27-20 | 04:51 PM
Pauljamess
Driver School Candidate

Get the exhaust vents I love them! That is exactly what I was looking for! Not so loud as to upset the neighbors at all, but lets people know there is a V8 under the hood. They definitely make it sound WAY more sporty! Super easy to put on also, took like 20 minutes. I would highly recommend them!
The following 2 users liked this post by Pauljamess:
BiGEZ (08-30-20), NotFasty (08-27-20)
Old 08-30-20 | 05:52 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Yes, I second Oliver Enterprise's cutout vents. I installed mine 2 days ago and loving it.
Old 09-06-20 | 12:54 AM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I am going to do electric cutouts. Open will be a turndown before the muffler/resonators. Closed will be routed to a pair of Borla Atak.
There's barely any space to do cutouts. My exhaust guy said maybe the QTP oblong slim ones.
Old 09-06-20 | 07:42 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

I actually ended up doing this:

Old 09-06-20 | 08:11 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

sell me your old mufflers for cheap please
Old 09-06-20 | 08:26 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Default A

Army of One. That looks quiet nice. And I bet it sounds AWESOME, because our V8s sound nice. However, hang on to your mufflers as that drone might get on your nerves.
Santa01 (10-19-20)
Old 09-06-20 | 12:50 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Pauljamess
Get the exhaust vents I love them! That is exactly what I was looking for! Not so loud as to upset the neighbors at all, but lets people know there is a V8 under the hood. They definitely make it sound WAY more sporty! Super easy to put on also, took like 20 minutes. I would highly recommend them!
I've been saving up for a year so I can get a set. Everyone who already has them say great things about the sound. I got about 3 more months and I get mine.
Santa01 (10-04-20)
Old 09-07-20 | 10:24 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Army of One. That looks quiet nice. And I bet it sounds AWESOME, because our V8s sound nice. However, hang on to your mufflers as that drone might get on your nerves.
Not likely, as it has the resonators in still. If anything its still a bit too quiet for my tastes. But my other ride is a 2019 Ram with nothing but cats and straight pipes out the back lol THATS loud.

i find the LS sounds alot like an Aston Martin V8 when the mufflers are gone. Drone is virtually non-existent because the turndowns provide *just* enough backpressure to eliminate it.

Originally Posted by sdls
sell me your old mufflers for cheap please
Where do you live? If not near TX, will likely cost a small fortune to ship.
Old 09-08-20 | 05:53 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Not likely, as it has the resonators in still. If anything its still a bit too quiet for my tastes. But my other ride is a 2019 Ram with nothing but cats and straight pipes out the back lol THATS loud.

i find the LS sounds alot like an Aston Martin V8 when the mufflers are gone. Drone is virtually non-existent because the turndowns provide *just* enough backpressure to eliminate it.
Either way, good luck. There's been another member or two on here that have done (as far as I can remember) the same as you. And I almost had straight pipe samples made (MEK - Muffler Eliminator Kit). But FWIR, they had problems with drone, even with pipes extending back to the original exit. But what I cannot remember was if they kept their resonators or not. Seems like they did, but I can't guarantee my memory. Please let us know how it goes. The drone is why I abandoned that kit.

Also, I have a 1972 Plymouth Scamp. When it was given to me the exhaust was rotted out (thank the Lord). I say that because I went ahead and had installed a good quality (TTi) headers, an X-Pipe, Borla mufflers, and pencil tips. I also had each header tapped and added a bung, and ran an O2 sensor and now it is tuned like a son of a gun. It sounded great with the Borlas. But for that car, was not loud enough. It is a cantankerous machine compared to the LS. So then I swapped the Borlas for FlowMaster Super 40's. And while most might like the exhaust sound better, they are still, not loud enough. I have seen dynos with and without a crossover (X-Pipe). They dyno slightly better with a crossover pipe, but either an X-Pipe or H-Pipe makes them quieter for whatever reason. Based on the result I'm getting, the fact that it's still not loud enough, and that it is an antique muscle(ish) car, I'm considering to just drop the mufflers all together. No muffler, no resonator, etc, but I'm concerned about drone, and the fact that it might be LAF. Just don't know.
Old 03-04-22 | 10:08 AM
UnclePauly
2nd gear

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Yes, I second Oliver Enterprise's cutout vents. I installed mine 2 days ago and loving it.
did you put single or double I wanna put double I have single now

Quick Reply: Best Sounding Exhaust for my LS 460