LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How urgent is it to fix the valley plate leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-20, 11:21 AM
GenXY
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How urgent is it to fix the valley plate leak?

I have the valley plate coolant leak issue common on these engines. I am aware of the problem and top the coolant off periodically or whenever I hear a rushing sound coming from behind the glove compartment. Since the car doesn't overheat and is otherwise just making a mess at the back of the engine, is it okay to continue as-is without doing permanent damage to the car? I have an estimate for ~$1000 from a reputable independent Lexus mechanic to reseal the heat transfer plate, but am also considering trading the car in, so I would like to delay the repair if possible.
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (08-26-20)
Old 08-23-20, 12:57 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

Your cooling system is not building pressure like it should be leading to possible flash vaporization/hot spots in the heads and uneven heating. Your choice but it should be fixed
Old 08-23-20, 03:06 PM
GenXY
Rookie

Originally Posted by Striker223
Your cooling system is not building pressure like it should be leading to possible flash vaporization/hot spots in the heads and uneven heating. Your choice but it should be fixed
Makes sense, thanks! I will get it fixed asap.
CamelKool (08-26-20)
Old 08-24-20, 10:49 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 394 Likes on 267 Posts

How do you know it needs a $1,000 repair? Lexus told me I had the issue, quoted me $1,500 - I held off and watched the issue myself and after about 8 months of constantly monitoring my coolant I had an indy mechanic determine it was an issue with my coolant cap... a $25 fix. I'll dig up the links of my experience and post them here for you to read through if you want. In a nutshell, Lexus could see the coolant pooling at the bottom of the valley plate but never did a pressure test or anything to show me there was an actual leak from a gasket. My coolant level was always "low" and so I went through various methods of isolating the problem - including one time I filled the coolant reservoir to a completely cold engine, and started the engine and within 5 seconds I sat and watched coolant pour out of the overflow black tube (which would send it straight to the bottom of the engine).

Bottom line - I recommend you make 100% certain it's not something easy like the coolant cap.

Edit: here's my link in Car Chat - I also posted one in the LS forum but the Car Chat one got a lot more people talking and responding with feedback. I also read about it on the IS-F forum (very common on those cars) and DM'd several members with what I was experiencing compared to them. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...lant-leak.html
Old 08-24-20, 10:40 PM
GenXY
Rookie

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
How do you know it needs a $1,000 repair? Lexus told me I had the issue, quoted me $1,500 - I held off and watched the issue myself and after about 8 months of constantly monitoring my coolant I had an indy mechanic determine it was an issue with my coolant cap... a $25 fix. I'll dig up the links of my experience and post them here for you to read through if you want. In a nutshell, Lexus could see the coolant pooling at the bottom of the valley plate but never did a pressure test or anything to show me there was an actual leak from a gasket. My coolant level was always "low" and so I went through various methods of isolating the problem - including one time I filled the coolant reservoir to a completely cold engine, and started the engine and within 5 seconds I sat and watched coolant pour out of the overflow black tube (which would send it straight to the bottom of the engine).

Bottom line - I recommend you make 100% certain it's not something easy like the coolant cap.

Edit: here's my link in Car Chat - I also posted one in the LS forum but the Car Chat one got a lot more people talking and responding with feedback. I also read about it on the IS-F forum (very common on those cars) and DM'd several members with what I was experiencing compared to them. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...lant-leak.html
So I've actually seen evidence of the leak myself. After the first time I heard the rushing noise behind the glove box, I came here and read all about low coolant and valley plate leaks. I believe I read your thread on the topic as well. Since I knew where to look, I checked the back of the engine low on the firewall and spotted that pink brain substance which looks just like your picture. Last week I was getting a drain and fill done for the transmission and the shop spotted the coolant leak, later confirming it was the heat transfer plate. The $1000 quote came from the shop. I'l try to see if they can take pictures for me when they do the job.
CamelKool (08-26-20)
Old 08-24-20, 11:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by GenXY
So I've actually seen evidence of the leak myself. After the first time I heard the rushing noise behind the glove box, I came here and read all about low coolant and valley plate leaks. I believe I read your thread on the topic as well. Since I knew where to look, I checked the back of the engine low on the firewall and spotted that pink brain substance which looks just like your picture. Last week I was getting a drain and fill done for the transmission and the shop spotted the coolant leak, later confirming it was the heat transfer plate. The $1000 quote came from the shop. I'l try to see if they can take pictures for me when they do the job.
If you hear "coolant" it's actually air that is busy moving about your engine causing way worse issues than I already mentioned to include pump impeller cavitation and "sand blasting" of metal and more rapids use of the additive package and breakdown of the plating inside the cooling passages that normally prevents corrosion and other wear. Air is very bad to have inside a cooling system
Old 08-25-20, 05:10 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 394 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by GenXY
OK gotcha, so you are having symptoms - that was not my situation. I'd get her fixed!
Old 08-28-20, 07:13 PM
Maq4533
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how do you find the leak?

can some one post a picture where to look. I have the sloshing sound behind the glove box. And had a dealer look for air in the system. But couldn't find anything with it. Sometimes i get a weird smell when I start the AC. Is this a common problem. My coolant gets low but just a bit. Whats the diy fix for this?
Old 08-29-20, 01:27 PM
JMLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the rear of engine and the transfer case. First picture is taken from top passenger side. Second is zoomed-in. Third is from the bottom. Check both sides. If there is pink or white crust, that's it. There are insulation foams at the front and rear of the engine which prevent the coolant leak straight down. Not until the crust accumulation inside the insulation forms is big enough, it's hard to see from outside.