LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Appropriate selling price?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 02:50 PM
Vicqlo
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Appropriate selling price?

Hello all:

Just in need of some advice here concerning a realistic selling price for my 2011 LS 460 AWD. Only 53,000 miles, Starfire Pearl with charcoal leather, Mark Levinson stereo, Navigation, power door closer, heated and cooled seats, HID lights. Car is immaculate! And, I do mean immaculate! Never smoked in, or eaten in. Always garaged. The back seat has been used possibly twice in the past 4-5 years. In fact, the speakers still have that little bit of plastic still on them from the factory. Car has been serviced by Lexus with all books and records. Oil changed every 3-5k, transmission fluid changed at 30k, ***new brake actuator and complete brake job at 37k****, front differential, rear differential and transfer case service at 40k. as well as coolant service. Battery replaced, too. Last month, I replaced all tires with another set of top of line Michelins. ($1,400 including a wheel alignment and another oil change.) The old set had 40k on them and wore perfectly smooth and even. Lexus inspected the car, too. According to them, absolutely no issues. No issues as of yet with control arms, etc. Car checks out 100%. The car fax will show "damage reported." This was due to a piece of road debris from the highway being kicked up and hitting the lower front bumper. No body damage, just a cracked bumper and fog light, Of course, insurance paid for it, and of course, it was reported as damage. This occurred at 19k. No issues with repair. It was done by Lexus. New bumper installed.

So, here we are! The car is 9 years old with only 53k. Production date of 6/2011. Late 2011 model. I just drove the car on an unexpected/unplanned road trip. Almost one thousand miles round trip. Car was a pleasure on the highway, as always. As you know, these cars are wonderful highway cruisers! With the cruise set on 75-78 mph and the air on, I received a consistent 26.1 to 27.0 mpg!! And, by the way, I have never, and I mean never, had an issue with oil consumption, as I see some others have experienced. I take pride in any car that I own, and this car has been taken care of above and beyond what Lexus calls for.

The local dealership wants my car! lol. Yes, I have been approached and e-mailed several times over the past three months, or so. I follow the local Lexus Dealers here in my area and rarely will you see a 2011-2012 model. When you do, they ask top,top,top dollar! And, they seem to sell within days! Dealer wants to give me $16k on trade. And we all know that they'll ask more than that when they turn it and place on pre-owned lot. Especially since the car needs nothing! I don't want to trade and go through all of that. I'm getting older and I just don't want that hassle with them. However, I'd like to sell privately. I want $19,500. Not a penny less. I think that's fair. I'm seeking some your opinions. What do you think?

Thank you for your input!
Old 08-25-20, 03:30 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicqlo
I don't want to trade and go through all of that. I'm getting older and I just don't want that hassle with them. However, I'd like to sell privately. I want $19,500. Not a penny less. I think that's fair. I'm seeking some your opinions. What do you think?

Thank you for your input!
My immediate thought is if you don't like the hassle of trading it in to a dealer, you are going to hate the hassle of selling it privately.

Now I don't blame you for not wanting to trade it in. Obviously the dealer is going to lowball you, and there's nothing wrong with that. They have to make a profit too.

I did a very quick and cursory check of selling prices. It doesn't seem like you are unreasonable to expect $19,500. I guess I would list it for $21,000 and accept the $19,500 offer.
Old 08-25-20, 04:19 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 413 Likes on 251 Posts

Auction prices are 1500 to 2000 dollars above average right now and used car prices are 15% above too.
Old 08-25-20, 04:25 PM
Vicqlo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
My immediate thought is if you don't like the hassle of trading it in to a dealer, you are going to hate the hassle of selling it privately.

Now I don't blame you for not wanting to trade it in. Obviously the dealer is going to lowball you, and there's nothing wrong with that. They have to make a profit too.

I did a very quick and cursory check of selling prices. It doesn't seem like you are unreasonable to expect $19,500. I guess I would list it for $21,000 and accept the $19,500 offer.
Thank you for the reply and advice. Yes, I know that it may be a hassle to sell privately. But, I figure I'd risk the chore to make an extra $3,500. I don't want a dealer to make a profit off of me for that much. lol
Old 08-25-20, 04:58 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

I agree that 18.5 to 19K is a very reasonable price if the car is really as great as you describe. Rather than just checking only Lexus dealerships, you may want to cast a wider net with Toyota and other dealerships. I had a great experience trying the KBB Instant Cash Offer (https://www.kbb.com/whats-my-car-worth/?ico=a). It offered the best price compared to Carvana and other sites, and I had three dealers calling me within a day offering to buy at the extended price pending an inspection. Of course, I wasn't selling but if I were to sell my LS, I will check KBB first.
Old 08-25-20, 05:34 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Suggest advertising as widely as possible (craigslist, Facebook, autotrader, etc.) if you can't get what you need from CarMax, Carvana, other dealers, etc. Price it just a bit more than what you'd like to see as buyers always want to think that they got a deal. These cars can take a while to sell, so be patient. Good luck!
Old 08-26-20, 09:44 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

I also did a KBB.com quote. In good condition the high end for private sale is $21800, low end $18800. Trade in range shows $16 - $18. If you plan to buy another Lexus product, you may be able to get closer to the $18K range from the dealer maybe even a bit more. What that does is saves you on the bottom line taxes on the newer car. So, you'd come out close to the same but much less stress of trying to sell it. Just my 2 cents worth.
The following 2 users liked this post by R Z:
Nospinzone (08-26-20), rmawyer (08-26-20)
Old 08-26-20, 11:08 AM
tx170754
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I always sell my cars, usually on Autotrader and they go fast. I look at KBB and NADA values and advertise the average, did not check your car value but you can do it. Apparently in these times the used car market is very good for the sellers, so you may get probably a little more, just my.02
Good luck !
The following users liked this post:
davidcvigi (09-02-20)
Old 08-26-20, 01:22 PM
Vicqlo
Rookie

Thank you to all of you for your replies. Very much appreciated! I think I'll try the KBB Instant Cash Offer and just see what happens. If that is not to my liking, I'll then advertise as some of you have suggested. I haven't sold a car in years! I'm looking to get into a new es350. I know it's not on the same level as the LS, but I did drive a brand new one for a whole day just recently. I found it to be more manageable for me. I didn't like the way the headrest design, but other then that, a great car. Although, I must say, the touchscreen on my LS is superior. For me, anyway. I'll keep all of posted. Thanks again to all of you!
The following users liked this post:
Nospinzone (08-26-20)
Old 08-26-20, 06:00 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Check Carvana as well. Easy to do by entering VIN or license plate. $16K is too low. I got offered $14,550 for my 2011 LS460 Lwb with 99,600 miles on it. No accidents on carfax. Used cars are bringing a premium right now even Sedans during an SUV craze.
Old 08-27-20, 12:02 AM
ScottyPDX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another place to try...

Another selling suggestion would be Doug DeMuro's Cars and Bids. Great specialty stuff there, and lots of high end-luxury options. I've come to really enjoy browsing their car sales every morning.
Old 08-28-20, 08:34 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Not sure how things work in Ohio, but in most cases, you'll get a tax break on the trade-in value of the car, potentially making the equivalent value over $17K (assuming $16K trade in).
Old 08-28-20, 03:59 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
Not sure how things work in Ohio, but in most cases, you'll get a tax break on the trade-in value of the car, potentially making the equivalent value over $17K (assuming $16K trade in).
This is exactly right - there is a 100% sales tax credit for a trade on a new vehicle in Ohio.
Old 09-02-20, 08:30 AM
davidcvigi
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicqlo
Thank you to all of you for your replies. Very much appreciated! I think I'll try the KBB Instant Cash Offer and just see what happens. If that is not to my liking, I'll then advertise as some of you have suggested. I haven't sold a car in years! I'm looking to get into a new es350. I know it's not on the same level as the LS, but I did drive a brand new one for a whole day just recently. I found it to be more manageable for me. I didn't like the way the headrest design, but other then that, a great car. Although, I must say, the touchscreen on my LS is superior. For me, anyway. I'll keep all of posted. Thanks again to all of you!
You have a touchscreen in your 2011 LS? Why don't I have one in my 2015 LS?
Old 09-03-20, 01:03 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by davidcvigi
You have a touchscreen in your 2011 LS? Why don't I have one in my 2015 LS?
Ha! Because Lexus deemed (in their infinite wisdom) that you should have a mouse instead!!!

Quick Reply: Appropriate selling price?