LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New purchase coming - 2010 460 SWB

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 09:06 PM
bpddaddy
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New purchase coming - 2010 460 SWB

Hello all,

Driving 200 miles tomorrow to look at a 2010 LS 460 SWB with 97k miles. They're asking $14,458 and been a California car its entire life. Brake Actuator was done 40k miles ago. Does the price sound about right?
Old 09-05-20, 07:35 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

It does sound about right, but that's without knowing anything further about its history or condition.
The following users liked this post:
bpddaddy (09-05-20)
Old 09-06-20, 12:20 AM
bpddaddy
Driver

Originally Posted by bpddaddy
Hello all,

Driving 200 miles tomorrow to look at a 2010 LS 460 SWB with 97k miles. They're asking $14,458 and been a California car its entire life. Brake Actuator was done 40k miles ago. Does the price sound about right?

Well I’m officially a Lexus owner. Bought it at $14k with 98k on the clock. It’s in “good” not great condition. Leather interior looks worn but not torn. I’ll be replacing or reconditioning the seats. Tires have 8k left on them, no leaks, transmission shifts smoothly and engine has no lifter noise. Here’s what did occur on the 200 mile trip home:
  • struts feel a little bouncy and wandering
  • controls arms made no noise side to side, but seem weak - could be causing wondering
  • A wind hum was heard from the rear roof
  • Temp needle shot up 3 times to Hot. I’m assuming Thermostat or Water pump - I’ll change both

That’s it for now. I feel like I made a good choice since I’m coming from BMW 740’s for the past 15 years. However, I would like to tighten the suspension up just a little. Any suggestions or input from what you’ve read here?

Thanks...Brently
Old 09-06-20, 08:18 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 893 Likes on 659 Posts

Check for leaks from the valley plate and its o-rings. Replace fuel pump and valve cover gaskets. Should look into replacing spark plugs.
Old 09-06-20, 09:28 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Well I’m officially a Lexus owner. Bought it at $14k with 98k on the clock. It’s in “good” not great condition. Leather interior looks worn but not torn. I’ll be replacing or reconditioning the seats. Tires have 8k left on them, no leaks, transmission shifts smoothly and engine has no lifter noise. Here’s what did occur on the 200 mile trip home:
  • struts feel a little bouncy and wandering
  • controls arms made no noise side to side, but seem weak - could be causing wondering
  • A wind hum was heard from the rear roof
  • Temp needle shot up 3 times to Hot. I’m assuming Thermostat or Water pump - I’ll change both

That’s it for now. I feel like I made a good choice since I’m coming from BMW 740’s for the past 15 years. However, I would like to tighten the suspension up just a little. Any suggestions or input from what you’ve read here?

Thanks...Brently
Congratulations on the purchase. Obviously the temperature issue is going to be the top priority to fix. Does the car have air suspension? What kind of tires are on the car now? Tires have a big impact on how the car feels as well.
Old 09-06-20, 10:00 AM
bpddaddy
Driver

Just looked at Rock Auto. Is $903 the correct price for a fuel pump, and I need 2 of them?
Old 09-06-20, 10:07 AM
bpddaddy
Driver

Originally Posted by sdls
Congratulations on the purchase. Obviously the temperature issue is going to be the top priority to fix. Does the car have air suspension? What kind of tires are on the car now? Tires have a big impact on how the car feels as well.
Car has normal suspension, no air. Tires are Michelin Premier 235/50/18 with 6/32 tread remaining. I was thinking of Michelin Pilot A/S, but definitely interested in hearing other opinions. As for the overheating, I plan to do everything (water pump, thermostat, radiator, hoses, etc.) but don't want to go into the engine more than once - if I have to do pump and thermostat this weekend.
Old 09-06-20, 07:07 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

Did not like the pilot a/s. Removed them put on mxmv’s. Less noise. Better ride. Steered better.

plugs helped smoothness. Dealer uses Mobil 1 oil for less loss between changes.

back flush trans smoothed trans. Versus drain and fill.

My Lexus dealer only back flushes with no problems.

2 other local dealers only drain and fill.

Service advisor mentioned fixing others dealers drain and fill rough shifting issues by back flushing

fire away.

The following users liked this post:
bpddaddy (09-06-20)
Old 09-06-20, 09:51 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Car has normal suspension, no air. Tires are Michelin Premier 235/50/18 with 6/32 tread remaining. I was thinking of Michelin Pilot A/S, but definitely interested in hearing other opinions. As for the overheating, I plan to do everything (water pump, thermostat, radiator, hoses, etc.) but don't want to go into the engine more than once - if I have to do pump and thermostat this weekend.
You seem to have a good, solid plan for the overheating. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure that the engine cooling fan is operating as it should. It would be a shame to do all of that work to find out that the cooling fan isn't operational!
Regarding the tires, this might sound kind of out there, but hear me out. I personally had Premier LTX tires on my 2010 and was dissatisfied with the car's handling. The car didn't seem to have a good sense of direction.
I very recently replaced them with Michelin's new CrossClimate2 tires (brand new model that just came out a few weeks ago) and the difference in handling is night and day... it transformed the way the car handles quite phenomenally. Crisp, confident turn-in, firmly stable sense of direction. The Premiers I had on my car were badly worn out past 6/32, however, so just take it for what it's worth.
Old 09-07-20, 01:05 AM
bpddaddy
Driver

Will definitely check on the Cross Michelin’s.

After reading numerous posts and searching (because I’m a good forum user), coolant take is low and most likely causing the temp thrash. It’s not weeping out of the pump, no hoses have leaks, so must be the Valley pan. Guess I’ll be doing another Valley pan. Last one done was on my BMW 740li.

I don’t understand why people just drive and don’t do preventative maintenance.

Old 09-07-20, 08:10 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Congrats! Beautiful car. Glad you are a mechanic. You can get things done reasonably and have a nice ride. If you haven't already, check on the Lexus Owner's Site at the service history. If the interior has not been swapped, call your local Lexus dealer about a replacement. Hopefully you'll qualify to receive the free swap. Enjoy!!
Old 09-07-20, 08:37 AM
bpddaddy
Driver

Hi R Z,

What is this interior swap? I'll try to go search. By mechanic, you mean "shady tree mechanic."
Old 09-07-20, 03:26 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Hi R Z,

What is this interior swap? I'll try to go search. By mechanic, you mean "shady tree mechanic."
In the early models of the 4th Gen LS460, the interiors became tatty and shaded and in some cases like mine, split and or cracked. At first Lexus only warranted the 07 year and replaced the interior except seats. Then they got heat to replace the other years (not sure about yours, but it doesn't hurt to check), so they started a roll out program to replace the interiors. I had mine done and the car looked brand new. Free of charge. Call your local Lexus and see if your car qualifies. If it does, then they'll begin ordering parts and replace them. It could take several months to do.