LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Confirmed: Telematics going away

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-20, 04:40 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Confirmed: Telematics going away

Somebody else here on CL mentioned this a while back, but now I guess I have my confirmation No more remote start, ability to lock/unlock with my phone, etc., as of October 2022.

Dear Derrick,

Thank you for choosing Lexus. As part of our Customer First commitment, we want to make you aware of upcoming changes in wireless communications technology that impact available Lexus Enform subscription services.

What’s Happening

As wireless technology continues to evolve, telecommunications providers in North America are making significant changes to their legacy communications infrastructures and network capabilities. Certain telecommunication providers have elected to terminate 3G wireless services which will impact available services for motor vehicles.

How This Will Impact Services in Your Lexus Vehicle

Your 2015 Lexus LS 460 offers available Lexus Enform services that rely on access to 3G wireless networks.

As of October 31, 2022, at 11:59PM CST, the following available Lexus Enform subscription services will be terminated:

• Lexus Enform Safety Connect®1 including Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator.

• Lexus Enform Remote2 including Remote Engine Start/Stop, Door Lock/Unlock, Vehicle Finder, Guest Driver Monitor, Vehicle Status and Alerts, Key Fob Remote Start, and Integration with Alexa® and The Google Assistant.

• Lexus Enform Destination Assist3 including 24-hour live response center agents.

Starting September 1, 2021, available Lexus Enform subscription services will only be available as monthly subscriptions for your vehicle. You can subscribe to or renew your available Lexus Enform subscription services through September 30, 2022 via the Lexus app.

If you are currently subscribed to a multiyear discount, any unused portion of a paid subscription will be refunded at a prorated amount. These refunds will begin on November 1st, 2022.

REMINDER: Limited Service Campaign for Safety Connect System – Vehicle Location Inaccurate
As a reminder, your vehicle might be involved with the Lexus Limited Service Campaign for Safety Connect System. To check if your vehicle is involved, please visit www.Lexus.com/recall. If you have not completed the above Limited Service Campaign, any authorized Lexus dealer will perform the software update FREE OF CHARGE to you. Please contact your authorized Lexus dealer to make an appointment to have the software update performed

We sincerely regret any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions, please visit lexus.com/faq or connect with us at lexus.com/contact.

Sincerely,
Your Lexus Team
Edit: changed title from Telemetrics to Telematics

Last edited by DerrickM; 09-11-20 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-12-20, 07:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Yep, got the email too.
Old 09-12-20, 07:28 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

I really have to fault Toyota for installing this 3G-only technology long after 4G/LTE was introduced in 2010. They could at least have upgraded this system along the way to support both 3G and 4G/LTE like a typical cell phone has done for years. Heck, my current Samsung cell phone supports from 2G (Edge) all the way up to some sort of pseudo-5G technology.

We've got two vehicles affected by this change and I'm damned perturbed about it even though I'm not surprised. I remember how the old digital Lexus Link was sold as an option on the LS430 right up to shortly before service was discontinued.

Here are links to web pages with more information:

For Lexus brand vehicles: https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...=190,1594,1752

For Toyota brand vehicles: https://www.toyota.com/audio-multimedia/support/3g-faq/
The following 6 users liked this post by Kansas:
aypues (09-17-20), DaveGS4 (09-15-20), DavidinCT (09-12-20), koolkat (09-14-20), NotFasty (09-12-20), teezee1000 (09-12-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-12-20, 07:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, agreed...
Old 09-12-20, 08:20 AM
DerrickM
Advanced

Yeah, I'm unhappy about it as well. Sounds like they were selling vehicles right up until 2018 with 3G radios.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Toyota will offer new TCUs for a nominal fee. I know I'd pay to keep those features. The only example of this I was able to find was Nissan offered new TCUs to Leaf owners when 2G was shut off--I think for around $200.

I did some research last night, and it's not just Toyota, or even just the car companies; there's a ton of fleet management systems out there (trucking, delivery, IoT devices, etc.) that are going to be affected. Millions of vehicles/devices. I guess the carriers are desperate to free up the old equipment and spectrum, and this has been widely known in the industry for years.

Interesting that they're switching to monthly billing at the end. I think that's probably smart--even AT&T doesn't know exactly when 3G will be shut down in each city; so why not keep it available as long as possible?
Old 09-12-20, 09:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't hold my breath lol
The following users liked this post:
koolkat (09-14-20)
Old 09-12-20, 09:40 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I've visually checked the 3G and newer 4G modules and they are obviously very different. These units plug into a rack inside the dashboard and there's no way that the newer unit could plug into the slot where the 3G unit resides - the connectors are different in format and number. This is a big deal to us since we're in our 70's and my wife is handicapped. We wouldn't have bought these vehicles if they didn't have Safety Connect.

The reason for monthly billing at the end is that everyone doesn't have the same renewal dates if they pay annually.

I think it is good idea to go ahead and shut the service down even if 3G service might still sometimes be available. We mainly value the emergency services in rural areas and I would rather be assured that they would always work instead of knowing that they sometimes might not. Every time we drive towards and visit the small rural Midwest town where I spent my first 15 years, we check to see if we have service on our hand held cell phones. There is still no cell phone service but Safety Connect works perfectly there - maybe it's the roof top antenna.

We were planning to punt our current vehicles soon anyway and this is just another reason to do so.

Last edited by Kansas; 09-12-20 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 09-12-20, 10:25 AM
DerrickM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kansas
I've visually checked the 3G and newer 4G modules and they are obviously very different. These units plug into a rack inside the dashboard and there's no way that the newer unit could plug into the slot where the 3G unit resides - the connectors are different in format and number. This is a big deal to us since we're in our 70's and my wife is handicapped. We wouldn't have bought these vehicles if they didn't have Safety Connect.
Bummer. I doubt enough owners subscribe to these services to make it worth it to them anyway.

The reason for monthly billing at the end is that everyone doesn't have the same renewal dates if they pay annually.
​​​​​​​
Oh, that makes sense! Why didn't I see that?

We were planning to punt our current vehicles soon anyway and this is just another reason to do so.
And with no similar vehicle in the lineup, they're basically forcing customers into the arms of other brands.
Old 09-12-20, 02:36 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DerrickM
And with no similar vehicle in the lineup, they're basically forcing customers into the arms of other brands.
The LS500 is fairly similar to the LS460. The telematics transceivers in newer Lexus and Toyota vehicles (e.g. 2018-up LS500) support at least 4G technology and are not affected by the discontinuance of 3G. My understanding is that 5G has a shorter range and requires substantially more cell phone towers.
Old 09-13-20, 07:22 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Pure planned obsolescence. Gotta get those new vehicle sales up
koolkat (09-14-20)
Old 09-14-20, 09:36 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 156 Posts

Yes... and no. Every software project needs to "freeze" a baseline for both the software and the hardware that supports it. The rapid changes for 3g/4g/5(whatever) are a product of the cellular carriers. They want you to buy new phones and they will phase out support as they please. Lexus just uses these frequencies for their car services and thus are at the mercy of the carriers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Protholl:
baam (09-17-20), LEVENEZIA (03-26-21)
Old 09-14-20, 09:50 PM
koolkat
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Arghhhh! I own a 2017 LS460 SWB and with the destruction of Lexus Enform (prior to the emails we received) and now the disabling of all the safety features entirely, what little 'advanced' tech the Lexus LS460 did have is now gone. I've thought about doing what 'SW17LS' has done and swap out my current infotainment unit for an apple carplay/android auto compatible unit to at least bring my 2017 into the 21st century, but I am afraid I will risk voiding my extended warranty if I did. My warranty is good until 2027/120k miles. Decisions, decisions...

I don't like the feeling of driving an ancient fossil that was actually manufactured in 2017...

Curious what tech mods you guys think would help make me feel like I am not losing the car I love so much... any suggestions?
Old 09-15-20, 08:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There is no risk of voiding your warranty using this CarPlay system
koolkat (09-15-20)
Old 09-15-20, 10:52 AM
DerrickM
Advanced

But the CarPlay system wouldn't give the car cellular access when your phone wasn't there, would it?
Old 09-15-20, 11:00 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by koolkat
Arghhhh! I own a 2017 LS460 SWB and with the destruction of Lexus Enform (prior to the emails we received) and now the disabling of all the safety features entirely, what little 'advanced' tech the Lexus LS460 did have is now gone.
I don't like the feeling of driving an ancient fossil that was actually manufactured in 2017...
Methinks that's kind of overly dramatic.
baam (09-17-20)

Quick Reply: Confirmed: Telematics going away