LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

"Tuning" the 1UR-FSE...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-20 | 03:08 AM
ausLX
Pit Crew

That's some good info @cryptodoni I'm especially excited to hear that someone is making cams for our cars now!
I actually forgot that there are some companies making tuning parts for the LS460. Think Design makes a "plug n play" ecu tune http://www.think-design.jp/rs_chip.html
Run Riot Lems & Think Design also offer a throttle body modification service https://lems.ocnk.net/product/167 http://www.think-design.jp/lexus_big_throttle_top.html
These can be ordered from Top End Motorsport, they are a vendor here.
Old 09-20-20 | 05:39 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Default No hardware

I'm not interested in changing pieces and parts of hardware of the engine. I only want to customize what we we already have. I like the fact that we have nearly 400 hp in a very reliable package. I don't want to lose that. But after tuning my LA 360, I would like to at least be able to look and see whats going on at WOT with our cars. Perhaps I can tune WOT to perfection and get a bit more. But as far as I know, there's no plug n play way to get into our computer.
Old 09-20-20 | 01:41 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
I'm not interested in changing pieces and parts of hardware of the engine. I only want to customize what we we already have. I like the fact that we have nearly 400 hp in a very reliable package. I don't want to lose that. But after tuning my LA 360, I would like to at least be able to look and see whats going on at WOT with our cars. Perhaps I can tune WOT to perfection and get a bit more. But as far as I know, there's no plug n play way to get into our computer.
You won't be able to do even a 5th of what you could with the LA, it's very refined and locked down. Best you can do is buy a tune that someone else designed after figuring out how to get in unless you want to buy a standalone system and replace the stock computer. That would allow total control over everything
Old 09-20-20 | 02:14 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

I supercharged my old LS400 (sold a long time ago). It was very easy to do and really transformed the car. Woke it up and made it really get up and go. The best part is that the total cost came out to around $1200, including a brand new Vortech blower.
Unfortunately there is no real info I’ve seen on tuning the 1UR-FSE and HKS wanted (discontinued now) almost $20,000 for a supercharger kit which is beyond ridiculous. Wonder why they didn’t have too many takers?

Last edited by sdls; 09-20-20 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-20-20 | 08:45 PM
stopdrpnro
Pit Crew

I've purchased and installed a pair of red bullets for my ls600 . The overall throttle response feels quicker but I can't say for sure that it added any hp. I would think think the improvements would be felt more so on a 460 than the 600 since more of the "instant power" is more dependant on the hybrid portion. I to have researched sector 7 and would v love to find more power adding options for my car. Let's keep this going.

Old 09-20-20 | 09:06 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Uh what do those aftermarket VVI oil control valves improve upon? The required response time for the system to no throw a code is like .2 seconds full retard to full advance I believe or something like that. It's nearly instant already
Old 09-23-20 | 01:03 AM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Originally Posted by Striker223
You won't be able to do even a 5th of what you could with the LA, it's very refined and locked down. Best you can do is buy a tune that someone else designed after figuring out how to get in unless you want to buy a standalone system and replace the stock computer. That would allow total control over everything
​​​​​​Modification of (at least a majority of) the same kind of parameters you're referring to having experience with tuning your LA actually IS possible and wouldn't require a complete replacement of your ECM/TCM with a custom standalone system...but it would be far less straightforward than your previous experience I am guessing. Obviously going the Sector7 or similar route where you provide the tuner with your modifications list and your preferred tuning parameters and then receiving an OBD2 flasher with a completed and un-editable tune doesn't sound like the route you would prefer which leaves using something like the BitBox, PCMFlash, etc. and I am not positive but I believe some methods are capable of OBD2 interfacing and then you'd start with stock maps, etc. and DIY tune from there.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Uh what do those aftermarket VVI oil control valves improve upon? The required response time for the system to no throw a code is like .2 seconds full retard to full advance I believe or something like that. It's nearly instant already
Exactly how these ocv's are capable of increased performance is rather hard to fathom. Attached is a PDF document from Quantum Solenoid that contains their "technical data" as well as what they offer as far as an explanation.
Attached Files
Old 11-30-20 | 10:37 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Default Red Bullets

Our engines have two exhaust side solenoids and Quantum Solenoid lists the set of these @ $500...HOWEVER while doing more research on these I came across an offering from a company called MaxJen International who markets the Red Bullet VVT-i Solenoid. I reached out to Max the owner of MaxJen asking for more information and for a direct comparison to the QS product. Max informed me that Quantum Solenoid and Red Bullet are identical products - both coming from the same manufacturer in Taiwan. In comparing the below photos of both companies solenoids it becomes obvious they are the same and both made by Izumi? in Taiwan.
You can purchase the set from RedBullet for $145 !!!

​​Okay while there's likely far more I could gone on about incessantly this is probably a good start and far too long already lol.

The Red Bullets are actually $270 for the pair. I ordered from Max and he was great to work with and communicated with me throughout the order/shipping process. They did not have them in stock, so it took about a week to make them, and it was about 25 days after I placed my order that I received them. But that was fine with me as I was busy using the Dragy GPS app to get baseline 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. These were the best of several runs and with about 1/4 tank fuel.

After I installed the Red Bullets, I initially test drove without the Dragy app. Even though a few weeks had passed since I last drove the car, I could definitely feel a difference, especially when it reached about 3000rpm. I think I drove about 12-15 miles just to ensure the car was running properly and there weren't any codes or anything unusual, checked for oil leaks, etc. A few days later I took her out for some runs. My best 0-60 is 5.80 seconds (with almost a full tank), and just today I recorded a best 14.02 quarter mile (between 1/2 and 3/4 tank). Still trying to get in to the 13s, and I think I will once the tank gets down to 1/4 tank.

Last edited by lwphat66; 11-30-20 at 10:43 AM. Reason: revise
The following 2 users liked this post by lwphat66:
L's TLS (12-01-20), stopdrpnro (01-25-21)
Old 11-30-20 | 01:26 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Reused stock gaskets for the bigger ocv?
Old 11-30-20 | 01:56 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdanielca
Reused stock gaskets for the bigger ocv?
No gaskets, new o-rings included (see comparison pics further up)

Daswede420 (03-25-23), L's TLS (12-01-20)
Old 12-08-20 | 10:12 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

The Red Bullets continue to impress...

S2Kiwi (10-21-21), stopdrpnro (01-25-21)
Old 12-08-20 | 10:22 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I wonder how much impact the 20 degree colder weather is on performance + or -
Old 12-08-20 | 10:34 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I wonder how much impact the 20 degree colder weather is on performance + or -

Oh, I'm sure it helps. But I don't think all of the 0.14 improved 0-60 can be contributed to the weather alone. I believe Lexus claimed the short wheel base model did 0-60 in 5.40, however, none of the independent reviews (Motorweek and Car & Driver) recorded anything close to that. And of course, testing is done on a track, and none of the conditions/parameters are published from what I've seen.
The following users liked this post:
L's TLS (12-09-20)
Old 12-09-20 | 07:58 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Just purchased these. We'll see how they perform on my 13 FSport
Old 12-12-20 | 04:41 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by stopdrpnro
I've purchased and installed a pair of red bullets for my ls600 . The overall throttle response feels quicker but I can't say for sure that it added any hp. I would think think the improvements would be felt more so on a 460 than the 600 since more of the "instant power" is more dependant on the hybrid portion. I to have researched sector 7 and would v love to find more power adding options for my car. Let's keep this going.
Did you have any issues removing the stock valves? The Red Bullets installed pretty easily, however, removing the old valves presented some challenges.

The following users liked this post:
stopdrpnro (01-25-21)

Quick Reply: "Tuning" the 1UR-FSE...