LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Transmission issue (stuck in 4th gear)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20 | 12:57 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Default Transmission issue (stuck in 4th gear)

Hi,

I have a 2007 LS460, and lately its been having a trans issue. It used to be intermittent but it's becoming more frequent. It stays stuck in 4th gear, it doesn't go 1-2-3-4-stuck, it is in 4th from a stop and never shifts. From P to R, it takes a couple seconds before it jerks into R, and that's how i know it will get stuck in 4th. When it shifts into reverse normally it doesn't get stuck. Traction control and VSC light come on as well.

I've read about replacing certain solenoids, Lexus told me I need a new transmission (go figure, $8k). Just curious to see if anyone has had similar issues at all and course of action to fix the issue.

Thanks
Old 09-17-20 | 02:15 PM
miket000
Instructor

I have not had similar issues. I'm curious when it started acting up did you have the transmission filter and tranny fluid replaced? That would be my first course of action.
Old 09-17-20 | 03:29 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

You are in limp mode. One or more solenoids are not functioning properly would be my guess. I would start, as stated above, with replacing the filter and fluid.
Old 09-17-20 | 04:28 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by miket000
I have not had similar issues. I'm curious when it started acting up did you have the transmission filter and tranny fluid replaced? That would be my first course of action.
My car is currently at 149k miles, Issues started earlier this year, bought a new truck so it sat for 7 months and first few days it drove fine short distances, then the other day it started this issue again.

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
You are in limp mode. One or more solenoids are not functioning properly would be my guess. I would start, as stated above, with replacing the filter and fluid.
Filter/Fluid replacement was my original thought process, but if a certain solenoid needs replaced then id rather do it when everything is apart the first time. It's 3-4 quarts for the pan capacity correct?

Old 09-17-20 | 05:55 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

yes, plus the filter. If its a ZF 8HP45 or 8HP70 the filter is integrated into the pan. There is no way of telling without draining and refilling the fluid (and changing the filter) if the solenoid is bad, or just stuck/clogged up. You can try pulling the codes but that may or may not tell you much. My exact process would be the following:

1. get 2-3 cans of seafoam high-mileage from wal-mart.
2. pull the pan
3. pull the solenoids
4. pull the valve body
5. soak valve body and solenoids in seafoam overnight in a plastic tub/drip pan
6. blow-dry with compressed air
7. reassemble with new filter
8. refill trans using the proper procedure.
9. Disconnect battery for 1 hour (or perform a system reset with a scantool)
10. Drive car for a few days, see what happens.

I highly doubt your transmission is bad, usually when they go into limp mode its a sensor or solenoid. Never seen it happen just from old/dirty fluid unless the trans got too hot. The 8 speeds in these cars are pretty robust so their failure is rather rare. I have only heard of a handful of them since the cars came out.
The following 2 users liked this post by ArmyofOne:
Black_SC (09-18-20), Boomin (09-19-20)
Old 09-17-20 | 10:24 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

My dealer service advisor mentioned 140k miles cars with non serviced trans that came in with shifting issues.

they backflushed the customers trans and fixed the issue.

trans out of USA is 60k miles service intervals.

2 other local dealers drain and fill. This Berkshire Hathaway owned store does 100 cars a day and backflushes.

as does luxury motor cars in Monrovia, ca which was a dealer mechanic for 20 years and had the luxlink computer override made for the sc430’s.

just saying
The following users liked this post:
Black_SC (09-18-20)
Old 09-18-20 | 12:53 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
yes, plus the filter. If its a ZF 8HP45 or 8HP70 the filter is integrated into the pan. There is no way of telling without draining and refilling the fluid (and changing the filter) if the solenoid is bad, or just stuck/clogged up. You can try pulling the codes but that may or may not tell you much. My exact process would be the following:

1. get 2-3 cans of seafoam high-mileage from wal-mart.
2. pull the pan
3. pull the solenoids
4. pull the valve body
5. soak valve body and solenoids in seafoam overnight in a plastic tub/drip pan
6. blow-dry with compressed air
7. reassemble with new filter
8. refill trans using the proper procedure.
9. Disconnect battery for 1 hour (or perform a system reset with a scantool)
10. Drive car for a few days, see what happens.

I highly doubt your transmission is bad, usually when they go into limp mode its a sensor or solenoid. Never seen it happen just from old/dirty fluid unless the trans got too hot. The 8 speeds in these cars are pretty robust so their failure is rather rare. I have only heard of a handful of them since the cars came out.
Originally Posted by Caflashbob
My dealer service advisor mentioned 140k miles cars with non serviced trans that came in with shifting issues.

they backflushed the customers trans and fixed the issue.

trans out of USA is 60k miles service intervals.

2 other local dealers drain and fill. This Berkshire Hathaway owned store does 100 cars a day and backflushes.

as does luxury motor cars in Monrovia, ca which was a dealer mechanic for 20 years and had the luxlink computer override made for the sc430’s.

just saying
Thank you guys!
Old 09-18-20 | 05:14 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

DO NOT backflush this transmission. You will destroy it.

Keep doing drains and refills every oil change until your fluid is back to the color it should be.
The following 2 users liked this post by ArmyofOne:
Black_SC (10-12-20), Boomin (09-19-20)
Old 09-18-20 | 07:38 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

I drained and filled my 07 150k mile solara and it helped but did not fix trans shifting issues. The Lexus dealer and luxury motocars both offered the backflush the cars trans and fix my issues.

Black_SC (10-12-20)
Old 09-19-20 | 06:00 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Aren’t these transmissions “cheap” used? Want to say I’ve seen them for $1,200, simply because there isn’t a demand for them (the units are that reliable). You could probably get someone to install it for $1,200 or so. All in all in and out for a total of $2,500.

Just saying if you absolutely need one after your attempts at a fix.
Black_SC (10-12-20)
Old 10-12-20 | 04:15 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Update:

Did a drain and fill, along with the transmission filter. Did not fix the issue, scan tool was used afterwards and it says "shift solenoid e", "pressure control solenoid "c", and "pressure control solenoid d".

Found this article about the same issue:
https://certifiedtransmission.wordpr...hicle-systems/
miket000 (10-12-20)
Old 10-21-20 | 10:59 AM
Wil1986
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Black_SC
Update:

Did a drain and fill, along with the transmission filter. Did not fix the issue, scan tool was used afterwards and it says "shift solenoid e", "pressure control solenoid "c", and "pressure control solenoid d".

Found this article about the same issue:
https://certifiedtransmission.wordpr...hicle-systems/
I’m having this same issue. Did you figure out which solenoid is “e”
Old 10-22-20 | 02:14 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wil1986
I’m having this same issue. Did you figure out which solenoid is “e”
So since the link I posted described my exact situation, we went the new harness and SR solenoid route. Waiting on parts currently, hoping it solves my issue.
Old 10-22-20 | 02:53 PM
Wil1986
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Black_SC
So since the link I posted described my exact situation, we went the new harness and SR solenoid route. Waiting on parts currently, hoping it solves my issue.
do you have the part # for those?
Old 10-27-20 | 06:04 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wil1986
do you have the part # for those?
Solenoid: 35240-50090
harness: 82125-50061

He should be finishing up tomorrow, so hopefully my issue is fixed. haha

Quick Reply: Transmission issue (stuck in 4th gear)