LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

No audio when starting the car for a minute (Mark Levinson)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20 | 01:20 AM
crz95
Driver

Default No audio when starting the car for a minute (Mark Levinson)

A strange issue has come up, where there is no audio for around 60 seconds every time I fire the car up.
I can cycle through radio channels, select tracks from my CDs where it shows that the track is playing / running, yet no audio.

After around 60 seconds the sound just comes back.
The car does tell me what day it is every morning through the speakers though..

The previous owner had the amp replaced at the dealership a few months before selling it, so I doubt that the amp is giving out.
Also research is showing me that when the ML amp dies, the Bass and Treble would be maxed out, and the fader stuck on the rear right.

Anyone experience this bug?
Old 09-24-20 | 06:04 AM
Nospinzone

I don't ever recall reading that issue on here. You mention the dealer replaced the amp. Was it a Lexus dealership or another manufacturer? Of course even a Lexus dealer could use some aftermarket amp or a used amp. It almost sounds like the amp has to warm up.
Old 09-24-20 | 06:32 AM
crz95
Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I don't ever recall reading that issue on here. You mention the dealer replaced the amp. Was it a Lexus dealership or another manufacturer? Of course even a Lexus dealer could use some aftermarket amp or a used amp. It almost sounds like the amp has to warm up.

Weird.. According to him it was the dealer. I have an appointment on Monday and will try to get the history of the vehicle with the dealer. Thanks!
Old 09-24-20 | 07:37 AM
Nospinzone

Keep us updated.
The following users liked this post:
crz95 (09-24-20)
Old 09-24-20 | 07:54 AM
ALK
Advanced

If the amp is not working there should be a short meaning no volume control. You problem feels like the audio receiver . Something that malfunctions when voltage is applied.
The following users liked this post:
crz95 (09-24-20)
Old 10-02-20 | 01:46 AM
crz95
Driver

UPDATE:

I found the secret hidden menu, where I was able to reset all “malfunctions”. There were 2 “check”s related to the audio and amp.

Once I held down the reset button and rechecked, they were gone.
Turned the car off and back on again, boom. Music was back instantly.

Here’s a link on how to access the hidden menu:
Old 10-02-20 | 04:02 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I think, it would be more useful if wrote up steps needed to be taken. The video is awful quality.
Old 10-02-20 | 04:23 AM
crz95
Driver

Originally Posted by Anfanger
I think, it would be more useful if wrote up steps needed to be taken. The video is awful quality.
Hahaha agreed, the video is terrible. I didn't do it.

Here are the steps:

1) Click the DISPLAY button.
You'll see the usual display frame, with 2 white border lines that appear on the screen.
In the next step, we're going to have to tap a sequence of taps in order to open the DIAGNOSIS MENU. Make sure to tap the line or right under / over the line:

2) The sequence of taps on the LEFT of the screen:
- Tap: Up , down, up, down, up, down

3) You'll enter the Diagnosis Menu.

4) Play around here, and you can find an "OK" next to each item. This means that the system checked it out and all is good.
If you find something with a "CHEK" next to it, this means that there was an issue at one point.

In my case, given that the previous owner changed the Amp, they must have forgotten to rest it from this menu.
All i did was hold the "CODE CLR" for a few seconds until it reset, then pressed on "Recheck"

After turning the car off and back on again, my issue was completely resolved!

Hope this helps, I also found a few more links in much better resolution (different languages though but you'll get the idea)

The following 2 users liked this post by crz95:
Anfanger (10-02-20), fwhomeboy (10-02-20)
Old 10-02-20 | 04:28 AM
crz95
Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Keep us updated.
The reset I did in my reply above fixed everything.
The dealer had no idea about this hidden menu.

On a side note, the team absolutely freaked out when I told them that the front / rear seats have filters for the cooled seats. They did not believe me, until I pulled out the part number and they all gathered together behind the computer screen and found out that it actually exists. They instantly placed an order.

If Lexus's head company in the Middle East finds out about this I'm sure some heads will fly :-)

They told me that every time a client came claiming that their "front seats aren't cooling anymore" they say that they can't do anything about it. How crazy is that!
Old 10-02-20 | 04:29 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by crz95
Hahaha agreed, the video is terrible. I didn't do it.

Here are the steps:

1) Click the DISPLAY button.
You'll see the usual display frame, with 2 white border lines that appear on the screen.
In the next step, we're going to have to tap a sequence of taps in order to open the DIAGNOSIS MENU. Make sure to tap the line or right under / over the line:

2) The sequence of taps on the LEFT of the screen:
- Tap: Up , down, up, down, up, down

3) You'll enter the Diagnosis Menu.

4) Play around here, and you can find an "OK" next to each item. This means that the system checked it out and all is good.
If you find something with a "CHEK" next to it, this means that there was an issue at one point.

In my case, given that the previous owner changed the Amp, they must have forgotten to rest it from this menu.
All i did was hold the "CODE CLR" for a few seconds until it reset, then pressed on "Recheck"

After turning the car off and back on again, my issue was completely resolved!

Hope this helps, I also found a few more links in much better resolution (different languages though but you'll get the idea)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBcTxE9tWcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP2txdoR-cc
This might need to be a Pin.
The following 2 users liked this post by fwhomeboy:
crz95 (10-02-20), jmsmiff (11-28-20)
Old 10-02-20 | 04:29 AM
crz95
Driver

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
This might need to be a Pin.
I'm sure it is somewhere! Cheers
Old 10-02-20 | 10:27 AM
cochiseg
Driver

Originally Posted by crz95
They told me that every time a client came claiming that their "front seats aren't cooling anymore" they say that they can't do anything about it. How crazy is that!
OMG such stupidity!
Old 10-06-20 | 02:08 AM
crz95
Driver

UPDATE (Part 2):

This morning, the issue came back. I did the that reset mentioned above from the Diagnosis Menu, turned the car off and on again, and still no audio for around 60 seconds.
Guess I'm going to have to live with this.
Old 03-10-21 | 09:14 AM
crz95
Driver

UPDATE (Part 3):

Car has been parked underground for 4 months due to water damage in the trunk from a storm. Turns out car was rear ended from the previous owner
Had to wait to fix the leak and order parts as our country was in full lockdown.

Seems the water damage not only got to the park brake module, but the amplifier as well. Absolutely NO audio at the moment. Damn it
Old 03-10-21 | 09:26 AM
cochiseg
Driver

water damaging the amplifier over a long time due to some leak, sounds like a possible occurrence

Quick Reply: No audio when starting the car for a minute (Mark Levinson)