LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Opinions please 2013 LS460 or 2013 LS600HL

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 02:25 AM
singernak
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions please 2013 LS460 or 2013 LS600HL

So I was looking for opinions on either a 2013 LS460, or a 2013 LS600HL.

The LS460 is $26k with 59k miles
The LS600HL is $38k with 59k miles

Does anyone here own the Hybrid LS600HL and do you love it and have you had much trouble?

Here is a pic of the LS600HL, I like it the most and have put a deposit down.

The LS600HL is a One owner with perfect maintenance history, no accidents and no stories.

Also is the 60k service on the LS600HL a big service?

Thanks for everyone’s opinion..

The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (09-30-20)
Old 09-30-20, 04:10 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 893 Likes on 659 Posts

Service intervals are provided on Lexus website. You don't have to be an owner to register, you just need to provide a VIN number.
Old 09-30-20, 06:47 AM
stopdrpnro
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Made this post on a ls facebook group. I rolled the dice on my super high mileage ls600 and couldn't be happier.

Cons(460): All maintenance is the same as an AWD 460 with exception of the hybrid battery. Other hybrid parts are pretty much good for half a million miles. Battery replacement will run $1500-4k. Trunk is also smaller bc of hybrid batteries. The gas savings after 5 or 6 years should pay for the battery.
-high end+rare +hybrid = potential $$$$$. A lot of mechanics will run from this vehicle and even most Lexus techs will have no experience with it. I had a bad o2 sensor and was quoted 3800 by the dealer and 2400 by an independent shop since repair manual said the engine and transmission needed to be removed. Took it to my guy and he was able to replace it in less than 1 hour including exhaust cool down time. Be careful and shop around .

The good stuff:
-The hybrid system means essentially all miles are highway miles. There is very little idle and cruising at 80mph can be done as low as 1200rpm.
-Regen braking means you can come off the gas and save your brakes. Although I will say the graby brakes do feel "weird" at first.
- 5.0 + 221hp electric motor = instant torque and smooth power .This fat girl isnt bad from a stop but the 60-100+is almost scary for a car this size. The ice can also switch between Otto and Atkinson cycles for even better mpg. I average ~24 city ~27 hwy.
- loaded with standard options including 19" wheels, AWD and a full leather dashboard, led headlights etc etc.

Lastly the ls460 is by no means a cheap vehicle but the ls600 weighs in at almost 40k more. A person who spends $80k would surely take good care of thier vehicle BUT a person who spends $125k would likely send thier assistant to Lexus to handle maintenance and/or any issues that may arise. So it's purely conjuncture but I would say most 600s will be better maintained than the 460s.
Old 09-30-20, 07:08 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

That's a pretty fair deal you're working, singernak, and the interior color is rare for a 600.

I haven't had mine long, but just had one rear air strut replaced at a cost of $2014 (tax included). Fortunately, my cost was merely my warranty deductible of $200. The moral is repairs on 600s are expensive, so either set aside a healthy repair fund or buy an exclusionary warranty, preferably one that covers the $5000 hybrid battery.
Old 09-30-20, 11:35 AM
singernak
Rookie

Originally Posted by TriC
That's a pretty fair deal you're working, singernak, and the interior color is rare for a 600.

I haven't had mine long, but just had one rear air strut replaced at a cost of $2014 (tax included). Fortunately, my cost was merely my warranty deductible of $200. The moral is repairs on 600s are expensive, so either set aside a healthy repair fund or buy an exclusionary warranty, preferably one that covers the $5000 hybrid battery.

which warranty did you go with? And what is the cost?
Old 09-30-20, 12:22 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by singernak
which warranty did you go with? And what is the cost?
PM sent to you.
Old 09-30-20, 12:51 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by singernak
So I was looking for opinions on either a 2013 LS460, or a 2013 LS600HL.

The LS460 is $26k with 59k miles
The LS600HL is $38k with 59k miles

Does anyone here own the Hybrid LS600HL and do you love it and have you had much trouble?

Here is a pic of the LS600HL, I like it the most and have put a deposit down.

The LS600HL is a One owner with perfect maintenance history, no accidents and no stories.

Also is the 60k service on the LS600HL a big service?

Thanks for everyone’s opinion..

I would get the 600hL. Gorgeous car, fully loaded with ultralux and lane keep assist etc., beautiful wood trim, two-tone seats. If it is well-maintained, you should be good to go for many miles and years. Invest in a good warranty if you plan to drive it for many years.
Old 09-30-20, 05:17 PM
singernak
Rookie

Originally Posted by comotiger
I would get the 600hL. Gorgeous car, fully loaded with ultralux and lane keep assist etc., beautiful wood trim, two-tone seats. If it is well-maintained, you should be good to go for many miles and years. Invest in a good warranty if you plan to drive it for many years.

which company is reputable?
Old 09-30-20, 05:53 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

TriC knows best. He bought his 600hL from Riknchar who I believe had CNA. Shop around. It could cost $3-5K to get full coverage warranty for 125K miles and 5 more years (air suspension, all electronics, hybrid battery, control arms). It also depends on how many miles you drive every year, so buy a lower mileage warranty if you don't drive much. Of course, with a car like this, I would make excuses to drive it everyday!

Ultimately, a warranty offers peace of mind. You could instead take a chance and save/invest that money. You could get lucky and never have anything break. I have a Lexus Platinum VSA but it hasn't paid for itself yet (I have until 2024). Others have recouped much more in warranty repairs than what they paid within a couple of years of their purchase.
Old 09-30-20, 06:25 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

If you're looking at a loaded AWD LS460L vs the 600h the cost of living with it is negligible. The 600 has some fancy emissions equipment and all the hybrid hardware but aside from that it's basically a loaded 460. All of that is based on the THS/LHD technology and while there are documented failures of battery and emission systems (see CJITTY's posts) they are extremely rare. Many owners have gone 100,000 miles with no issues.

Most hybrids have all the goodies (air suspension being the big one) that over time can be annoying if they break. Other than that the maintenance for the cars is pretty identical save an annoying recommendation to replace the spark plugs at 60k miles (I didn't do it an my car passed smog anyway). That's an expensive job on the UR engines as they are buried under the intake manifold.

I bought my 600h 6 years ago with 42k miles on it and it now has 62k miles. I've replaced the tires, brakes, and the water pump because they said it was leaking (probably from it's relatively boring life). The claim my front suspension bushings are tearing but I can't really tell yet. That's it.

The hybrid has less trunk space, and the AWD limits its turning radius a bit. But it gets consistently higher gas mileage than my LS430 despite being much heavier and much faster.

I wouldn't be any more scared to buy one vs a similarly maintained 460. I spent $3000 for a 2 year warranty which was a total waste of money.
stopdrpnro (10-01-20)
Old 10-01-20, 01:59 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
TriC knows best. He bought his 600hL from Riknchar who I believe had CNA. Shop around. It could cost $3-5K to get full coverage warranty for 125K miles and 5 more years (air suspension, all electronics, hybrid battery, control arms). It also depends on how many miles you drive every year, so buy a lower mileage warranty if you don't drive much. Of course, with a car like this, I would make excuses to drive it everyday!

Ultimately, a warranty offers peace of mind. You could instead take a chance and save/invest that money. You could get lucky and never have anything break. I have a Lexus Platinum VSA but it hasn't paid for itself yet (I have until 2024). Others have recouped much more in warranty repairs than what they paid within a couple of years of their purchase.
I can confirm that I had the CNA warranty on my LS600hL (now owned by TriC). I never had a need for it during my ownership, but I'm happy that it was useful for TriC to replace his rear air strut! I think I paid around $2800 for it, and it covered the car for 6 years (but with a mileage restriction, which was fine for me since I didn't drive it very much). I had heard good things from others on the CNA warranties, and I do know they are one of the very few companies that cover the expensive hybrid batteries!

Side note: I recently bought the Tesla Extended Service Agreement directly from Tesla for my 2020 Model S. It extends the bumper-to-bumper warranty from the original 4 years to a full 8 years, and it cost $4200. Hope I don't need it, and I may not keep. my Model S for over the original warranty period (4 years), but the warranty is fully refundable before I start using it, so I figured why not?
stopdrpnro (10-01-20)
Old 10-01-20, 02:24 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

Without examining each car, I would still say go with the 600. Back in 2009 I lowballed a dealer on a 2008 he had sitting on his lot. He didn't go for it, but I still have thoughts of picking one up.
Old 10-01-20, 05:29 PM
rmawyer
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

That is an excellent price. I shopped a 2014 recently that started at $60k and apparently sold in the low to mid 50s. It did have the Executive package and was super-clean.

Similar miles if I remember correctly. Was so tempted, but was never able to find a dealer that carried the warranty Tri and Ric had/have.

if you don’t move on it, please PM me with dealer and VIN.

Last edited by rmawyer; 10-04-20 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-01-20, 06:41 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

for me, in my personal opinion, regardless of what car it might be, I would go for the highest spec possible, so upgraded leather, 4 seater etc, I don’t see the point of a base LS. As evidenced by the melting door panels etc which did not affect cars with upgraded leather. If you get a fully loaded 460 it’s going to be very close to a 600 maybe 20k?

I personally prefer the 460 if you can find a fully loaded one owner car. With as close to all the options as possible. If I can find one here in Ukraine lol you can find one there. If I were buying the 600 and if you intend to keep the car a while I advise getting a warranty that covers everything. 460 you can even work on yourself

Originally Posted by stopdrpnro
Made this post on a ls facebook group. I rolled the dice on my super high mileage ls600 and couldn't be happier.

Cons(460): All maintenance is the same as an AWD 460 with exception of the hybrid battery. Other hybrid parts are pretty much good for half a million miles. Battery replacement will run $1500-4k. Trunk is also smaller bc of hybrid batteries. The gas savings after 5 or 6 years should pay for the battery.
-high end+rare +hybrid = potential $$$$$. A lot of mechanics will run from this vehicle and even most Lexus techs will have no experience with it. I had a bad o2 sensor and was quoted 3800 by the dealer and 2400 by an independent shop since repair manual said the engine and transmission needed to be removed. Took it to my guy and he was able to replace it in less than 1 hour including exhaust cool down time. Be careful and shop around .

The good stuff:
-The hybrid system means essentially all miles are highway miles. There is very little idle and cruising at 80mph can be done as low as 1200rpm.
-Regen braking means you can come off the gas and save your brakes. Although I will say the graby brakes do feel "weird" at first.
- 5.0 + 221hp electric motor = instant torque and smooth power .This fat girl isnt bad from a stop but the 60-100+is almost scary for a car this size. The ice can also switch between Otto and Atkinson cycles for even better mpg. I average ~24 city ~27 hwy.
- loaded with standard options including 19" wheels, AWD and a full leather dashboard, led headlights etc etc.

Lastly the ls460 is by no means a cheap vehicle but the ls600 weighs in at almost 40k more. A person who spends $80k would surely take good care of thier vehicle BUT a person who spends $125k would likely send thier assistant to Lexus to handle maintenance and/or any issues that may arise. So it's purely conjuncture but I would say most 600s will be better maintained than the 460s.