LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Local Lexus tried to kill me

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-20 | 10:30 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Angry Local Lexus tried to kill me

I took my car to a local Lexus dealer for a brake fluid flush. I didn't want to do it myself because I read a plenty of posts where incorrectly carried out procedure caused serious problems and my Techstream crushes too often. Anyway, the dealer did the flush under 30 minutes and charged me $185 though I brought brake fluid with me. I drove the car home went inside for a couple minutes and came out to fix a problem with a bumper bracket. I usually do a walk around the car to make sure there are no leaks or anything that would be out of normal. During the walk around I noticed a puddle under right front wheel and the wheel and wheel well are wet. Upon closer inspection I found a brake fluid leak at the bleeder and the brake fluid tank is almost at minimum. I got lucky, I didn't use highway to get home, otherwise it would turn really ugly as the fluid was dripping down.

I called the dealer and told them what I think about them. Originally, a rep was questioning what I was saying. After I told them, that they and I got lucky I didn't get in an accident and legal problems that they would face. He backed off and got a supervisor on the line. The supervisor was down to the business, I told him, there is no way I pay for anything extra than I already did. They sent a tow truck 2 hours later.

This morning I got a call from a different rep, I had to explain everything again. After some time, I got a message that they found the problem - it was a failed bleeder and they tried to pin it on me again. I told there is no way it is my problem. It is illegal to release a car with faulty brakes without the customer being notified. They worked on the brake just before they failed. Got another message that the problem was fixed and they tried to make me go and get the car. I told them it is not happening and I expect the car to be delivered to me today because I have to work on Monday. Got another call saying it is going to be delivered today at no charge.

At this point, I want to call Lexus Corp and BBB but I don't want the tech to loose his job, it is very hard to find a job these days. Waiting for my car to be delivered...

Last edited by Anfanger; 10-10-20 at 11:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Anfanger:
Chaos236 (10-18-20), Santa01 (10-12-20)
Old 10-10-20 | 11:16 AM
Nospinzone

It just boggles my mind how a Lexus dealer can react like that. If it was my business I'd have the car repaired and returned to you and your money refunded along with a sincere apology.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nospinzone:
Efthy2007 (10-16-20), Santa01 (10-12-20), stopdrpnro (10-14-20)
Old 10-10-20 | 11:31 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
It just boggles my mind how a Lexus dealer can react like that. If it was my business I'd have the car repaired and returned to you and your money refunded along with a sincere apology.
This is my first Lexus, I never had to deal with Lexus services before. The good things I heard about it, do not apply to the local dealer, it seems. You get a free coffee and water, better waiting rooms but the service is questionable. I am just glad I took care of my differentials and transfer case on my own.

I just want to share my experience so people check work done by dealers on their vehicles.
The following 3 users liked this post by Anfanger:
Chaos236 (10-18-20), RazorBack1 (10-15-20), Santa01 (10-12-20)
Old 10-10-20 | 08:12 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

You have no idea the things I have had to deal with at my Lexus dealer over the 10+ years. Never trust a dealer just because it's a Lexus dealer. All dealers are the same, the free stuff is just fluff. I am glad you advocated for yourself.
The following 3 users liked this post by LS430FL:
Chaos236 (10-18-20), Santa01 (10-12-20), TRS (11-01-20)
Old 10-10-20 | 10:17 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Got my car back. The dealer cleaned the well and under the car. Refilled the fluid to the maximum level. Brakes seem to work for now.
The following users liked this post:
Santa01 (10-12-20)
Old 10-11-20 | 09:44 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Not all Lexus dealerships are alike. Mine is decent. Perfect? No. But I have few complaints.
The following users liked this post:
Santa01 (10-12-20)
Old 10-13-20 | 08:47 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Glad they fixed it. That kind of screw up can happen anywhere. I once paid an indy to do flush the tranny in a Ford van and they actually forgot to tighten the bolts to the pan. Transmission fluid ruined my driveway and I had to fix it and replace the fluid myself. One thing I think I'm learning is you really need to check out your car before driving it away from the dealer.
Old 10-16-20 | 04:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Anfanger
I took my car to a local Lexus dealer for a brake fluid flush. I didn't want to do it myself because I read a plenty of posts where incorrectly carried out procedure caused serious problems and my Techstream crushes too often. Anyway, the dealer did the flush under 30 minutes and charged me $185 though I brought brake fluid with me. I drove the car home went inside for a couple minutes and came out to fix a problem with a bumper bracket. I usually do a walk around the car to make sure there are no leaks or anything that would be out of normal. During the walk around I noticed a puddle under right front wheel and the wheel and wheel well are wet. Upon closer inspection I found a brake fluid leak at the bleeder and the brake fluid tank is almost at minimum. I got lucky, I didn't use highway to get home, otherwise it would turn really ugly as the fluid was dripping down.

I called the dealer and told them what I think about them. Originally, a rep was questioning what I was saying. After I told them, that they and I got lucky I didn't get in an accident and legal problems that they would face. He backed off and got a supervisor on the line. The supervisor was down to the business, I told him, there is no way I pay for anything extra than I already did. They sent a tow truck 2 hours later.

This morning I got a call from a different rep, I had to explain everything again. After some time, I got a message that they found the problem - it was a failed bleeder and they tried to pin it on me again. I told there is no way it is my problem. It is illegal to release a car with faulty brakes without the customer being notified. They worked on the brake just before they failed. Got another message that the problem was fixed and they tried to make me go and get the car. I told them it is not happening and I expect the car to be delivered to me today because I have to work on Monday. Got another call saying it is going to be delivered today at no charge.

At this point, I want to call Lexus Corp and BBB but I don't want the tech to loose his job, it is very hard to find a job these days. Waiting for my car to be delivered...

sorry to hear. While I don’t have a LS460, I have always watched some of the model forums for brake issues. My vehicle had a brake line burst...very scary. I do know that just recently I had my brake discs and rotors changed, the brake lines were 17 years old on the rear and didn’t take to the pressure with the new new pads....it leaked out one of the rears....my garage did come through and fix it and it’s all good. happy Lexus came through.

did your BRAKE lights illuminate? Mine did after about 5 minutes of driving when I picked it up that day.

Old 10-16-20 | 05:20 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I haven't had any lights, it is (highly) recommended maintenance to extended life of the brake actuator.
Old 10-16-20 | 05:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't had any lights, it is (highly) recommended maintenance to extended life of the brake actuator.
No light is very worrisome...how much fluid did you lose in the container?
Old 10-16-20 | 05:37 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

It was full at the dealership, when I got home it was around the minimum mark. If I took a highway home, it could be so much worse.
Old 10-16-20 | 05:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It was full at the dealership, when I got home it was around the minimum mark. If I took a highway home, it could be so much worse.
Sorry to hear. The light should have come on. When my brakes went out the first time, freaky stuff....I will never forget
Old 10-16-20 | 06:01 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Yes, that was kind of weird that such intelligent brake system didn't detect low pressure in one of lines. It is not that intelligent after all...
Old 10-17-20 | 06:39 AM
cochiseg
Driver

the main point is you caught it in time !!! I got brake fluid changes lately on both my cars at dealerships... because Im too lazy to learn something new... I'll think about you next time I have to change that....
Old 10-17-20 | 07:20 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cochiseg
the main point is you caught it in time !!! I got brake fluid changes lately on both my cars at dealerships... because Im too lazy to learn something new... I'll think about you next time I have to change that....
Same here, I might do it myself next time.

Quick Reply: Local Lexus tried to kill me