LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How to remove front lower control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-20, 07:21 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 890 Likes on 657 Posts
Question How to remove front lower control arms?

I am going to be replacing all front control arms on my 10 AWD 155k. I have done upper ones already when I replaced bushings and I know how to remove and install it. The lower control arms are more challenging, particularly, rearward ones due to adjusting toes (I believe, it is called that). I got original arms, so it seems, and the adjusting toes are "fused" to the arms. I was wondering if anybody had luck removing it and willing to share some tips.

In between, I am aware that the arms need to be torqued under load.
Old 10-30-20, 08:50 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Can you post a pic of the control arm?
Old 10-31-20, 02:17 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfanger
I am going to be replacing all front control arms on my 10 AWD 155k. I have done upper ones already when I replaced bushings and I know how to remove and install it. The lower control arms are more challenging, particularly, rearward ones due to adjusting toes (I believe, it is called that). I got original arms, so it seems, and the adjusting toes are "fused" to the arms. I was wondering if anybody had luck removing it and willing to share some tips.

In between, I am aware that the arms need to be torqued under load.
I also got stuck at this point when doing mine, managed to remove the main bolt but as you probably saw it slide into the adjusting toes which goes through the bushing. Mine was also seized and there is not much room to use tools to push it out. Shop had to cut it in half and install new ones. They also did the same thing on the lower front ones but after that they realized the cam bolt on those were back order everywhere in North America. So my car will sit at their lot for at least a month or god knows until when as not a soul can tell when this part will be back in stock.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vansibel:
Anfanger (10-31-20), steedls400 (11-04-20)
Old 10-31-20, 06:55 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sha4000
I will later, it is 19F outside right now.
Old 10-31-20, 06:57 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vansibel
I also got stuck at this point when doing mine, managed to remove the main bolt but as you probably saw it slide into the adjusting toes which goes through the bushing. Mine was also seized and there is not much room to use tools to push it out. Shop had to cut it in half and install new ones. They also did the same thing on the lower front ones but after that they realized the cam bolt on those were back order everywhere in North America. So my car will sit at their lot for at least a month or god knows until when as not a soul can tell when this part will be back in stock.
I ended up cutting one off arms in pieces but ran out of cutting disks. I had only 4.5 inch disk and it is too small. I am going to get 6 inch ones that should allow me cut the arms in fewer steps.

Last edited by Anfanger; 11-01-20 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-31-20, 07:42 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
I was asking for a pic of the new arm which I thought you had already. I'm trying to visualize what you are talking about.

On my RWD I have to cut that arm out with a sawzall.
The following users liked this post:
Anfanger (10-31-20)
Old 10-31-20, 08:16 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

The job sounds miserable.. when Beck brings the AWD lower control arms back in stock and I do mine, I’ll have to make sure I get new camber bolts. Had to grind off the ones on my 86.5 Supra too many years ago, and it really sucked.
Anfanger (10-31-20)
Old 10-31-20, 03:17 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I cut off the front left rearward arm but front lower forward control bolt is stuck. I got all spare parts but the bolts. I even found a inner tie rod removal tool at the local AutoZone. I have to call the local Lexus on Monday to order more parts.

I have replaced sway bar bushings which is 1% of what I was going to do.
Old 11-01-20, 04:43 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

I cut off the front left rearward arm but front lower forward control bolt is stuck. I got all spare parts but the bolts. I even found a inner tie rod removal tool at the local AutoZone. I have to call the local Lexus on Monday to order more parts.

I have replaced sway bar bushings which is 1% of what I was going to do.
Is the part #48190-50060 what you looking for ? Should be the same as my ls600hl. Please let me know if you find any dealer that have them in stock in the US (i need 2), they are are back order everywhere around there and although I ended up ordering them from japan they might take a months to get there and right now my car is stuck at the shop. Don't mind paying twice to get them sooner.
Old 11-01-20, 11:13 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Is the part #48190-50060 what you looking for ? Should be the same as my ls600hl. Please let me know if you find any dealer that have them in stock in the US (i need 2), they are are back order everywhere around there and although I ended up ordering them from japan they might take a months to get there and right now my car is stuck at the shop. Don't mind paying twice to get them sooner.
I am going call my local Lexus tomorrow. As far as I am aware, Lexus dealers share parts. If you couldn't get at your local dealer, most likely, my local dealer will not have either. On other side, I got all my parts from Emirates.
Old 11-01-20, 11:14 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

5x 6-inch cut-off metal disks later, I got all front control arms removed. I can see why Lexus charges so much for this job.

Last edited by Anfanger; 11-01-20 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-01-20, 03:43 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

I am going call my local Lexus tomorrow. As far as I am aware, Lexus dealers share parts. If you couldn't get at your local dealer, most likely, my local dealer will not have either. On other side, I got all my parts from Emirates.
I live in Canada I'm not sure US and Canada dealers share parts
Old 11-01-20, 03:48 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I live in Canada I'm not sure US and Canada dealers share parts
I will update my post when I get more information from the dealer. I am a little nervous about availability of the parts.
Old 11-01-20, 05:39 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

5x 6-inch cut-off metal disks later, I got all front control arms removed. I can see why Lexus charges so much for this job.
why does every single repair on this stupid car have to be an adventure?
Anfanger (11-01-20)
Old 11-01-20, 07:20 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sdls
why does every single repair on this stupid car have to be an adventure?
I was wondering about that as well! My wife is not happy about this car. Owning only Toyotas before we never had such problems, until now.

I replaced both belt pulleys today, both had rattling bearings.

Quick Reply: How to remove front lower control arms?