LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

is the factory rotor directional or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-20, 03:19 PM
oakley6688
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default is the factory rotor directional or not?

hi. i purchased a 2011 ls460 awd this augest, the next day i install brand new rotor and pad at a independent shop. but the parts r from dealer
today i put on winter tire, as i take off the rim , i take a look at the rotor, as to my knowledge , it is directional rotor as the vent fin is not straight ( but they r not slotted or drilled, and i notice they have the air hole to help the airflow around the rotor center as it is very similar to 2 piece rotor. but it is still one piece rotor)
and they put it the wrong way

can anyone comfirm this with me, the ls factoty rotor is directional vented or not? thx
if yes, i will go back to ask them install it the right way, but i dont want to insult myself if im wrong
Old 11-14-20, 04:24 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 883 Likes on 653 Posts

Yes, at least, front rotors are directional.
Old 11-14-20, 08:49 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfanger
Yes, at least, front rotors are directional.
I’m pretty sure the rears are too

im using two of the same PN directional rotors on the rear in mine (oops)
Old 11-15-20, 04:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Yes they are directional
Old 08-05-23, 01:54 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley6688
hi. i purchased a 2011 ls460 awd this augest, the next day i install brand new rotor and pad at a independent shop. but the parts r from dealer
today i put on winter tire, as i take off the rim , i take a look at the rotor, as to my knowledge , it is directional rotor as the vent fin is not straight ( but they r not slotted or drilled, and i notice they have the air hole to help the airflow around the rotor center as it is very similar to 2 piece rotor. but it is still one piece rotor)
and they put it the wrong way

can anyone comfirm this with me, the ls factoty rotor is directional vented or not? thx
if yes, i will go back to ask them install it the right way, but i dont want to insult myself if im wrong
which direction are yours installed. The Lexus part numbers indicate the internal vanes are pointed to the front.
Old 08-05-23, 03:43 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 797 Likes on 591 Posts

Did you notice when you were watching this video that he took off a set of directional rotors and installed non directional?, you can clearly see the vanes at just past the 3 minute mark and they are pointing forward.
Also he had the air ducts on that car so possibly they come with all awd models or he had a awd sport...I dunno but there was no f sport in 2011.

Old 08-05-23, 04:20 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,274 Likes on 984 Posts

With three separate threads on this subject, it appears to me there is no clear right or wrong. Doesn't seem to make much difference as no one has experienced warpage or any other symptoms. This thread reminds me of tire and battery threads. Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
Anfanger (08-05-23)
Old 08-05-23, 05:27 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by swfla
With three separate threads on this subject, it appears to me there is no clear right or wrong. Doesn't seem to make much difference as no one has experienced warpage or any other symptoms. This thread reminds me of tire and battery threads. Enjoy.
Now...do rotors really warp or is it brake material buildup? Haha

@Sodium posted a different picture but you'd have to know how air flows around that area to make a judgement on whether the vane direction would make a big difference or any at all.

The following users liked this post:
swfla (08-05-23)
Old 08-05-23, 05:48 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,274 Likes on 984 Posts

You're so funny GERF.
Old 08-05-23, 09:14 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gerf
Did you notice when you were watching this video that he took off a set of directional rotors and installed non directional?, you can clearly see the vanes at just past the 3 minute mark and they are pointing forward.
Also he had the air ducts on that car so possibly they come with all awd models or he had a awd sport...I dunno but there was no f sport in 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaSgCEjiF_g
Gerf, what do you suggest? It seems like all of my research indicates they should be to the rear but I called 4 Lexus dealerships to speak to techs and parts department to verify oem specs have the directional rotor with vanes pointing forward. Sadly, it’s so clear from Lexus and even every aftermarket rotor for the awd that they are to be pointed to the front. But I can’t get any rationale for why Lexus wants it that way.
Old 08-06-23, 07:09 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggyG
Gerf, what do you suggest? It seems like all of my research indicates they should be to the rear but I called 4 Lexus dealerships to speak to techs and parts department to verify oem specs have the directional rotor with vanes pointing forward. Sadly, it’s so clear from Lexus and even every aftermarket rotor for the awd that they are to be pointed to the front. But I can’t get any rationale for why Lexus wants it that way.
They are wrong, my Audis have the same casting for each side and the passinger side is always 10-15* hotter due to that. However it doesn't matter really since once you get real heat into them cooldown rate and saturation rate is the same when you push them. Vanes like this don't really do much more vs straight and both suck vs pillar style vents on modem setups.

And all suck vs CCBs
Old 08-06-23, 07:10 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

They are wrong, my Audis have the same casting for each side and the passinger side is always 10-15* hotter due to that. However it doesn't matter really since once you get real heat into them cooldown rate and saturation rate is the same when you push them. Vanes like this don't really do much more vs straight and both suck vs pillar style vents on modem setups.

And all suck vs CCBs and the LS is blessed with actual brake ducts unlike Audi. Still very shocked by that one...
Old 08-06-23, 07:22 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Gerf, what do you suggest?.
I would suggest if your car has directional rotors and air ducts and you're not having any braking issues then install them whatever way they have been in the past. This first picture is from that video and you can see the small area the vanes have to draw air from, the second pic is where the air is directed from the air ducts, towards the hub area.

There's so much going on in there I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 08-06-23, 08:10 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gerf
I would suggest if your car has directional rotors and air ducts and you're not having any braking issues then install them whatever way they have been in the past. This first picture is from that video and you can see the small area the vanes have to draw air from, the second pic is where the air is directed from the air ducts, towards the hub area.

There's so much going on in there I wouldn't worry about it.

thanks, this all so stressful and upsetting for someone who wants precision and has ocd
Old 08-06-23, 10:58 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

thanks, this all so stressful and upsetting for someone who wants precision and has ocd
If it bugs you that much then get these...

The following 2 users liked this post by Gerf:
GreggyG (08-06-23), swfla (08-06-23)