LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 2007 Stalls when braking or accelerating! DISASTER

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-20, 06:19 AM
Wildezt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy LS460 2007 Stalls when braking or accelerating! DISASTER

Hi! This is unfortunately my first post and it's not good.
This morning I got in the car and let it warm up as it's about 0ºC degrees (~32F) for about 2 minutes. So I put it in Drive and turn out of parking spot, roll 10m and brake a little and the car stalls. I was in shock because this is the first time this has happened. I put it in Park and started the car again. "Brake malfunction. Stop the vehicle in a safe place immediately. Contact dealer" etc. VSC, TCS + all the other brake lights come on. I tried to back it up and park back where I was and as I braked it died yet again. Tried to drive straight and then brake, stalled again. So I let it idle for a while, and then tried again, no luck. Tried if same happens when giving gas and indeed it doesn't allow me that too. Called up everyone I know + lexus dealer and forums have different stalling situations, so no one knows. Tried to go fill it up as the "fuel light" just turned on. Engine is okay, working quietly, no rough idle no nothing. Brake pedal is as it's always been, not too soft and not too hard. Tried flooring brake pedal and as I started releasing then for a bit at the beginning there was a squeaky sound coming from pedal. Guess it's just rubber etc. Nothing has changed concerning braking and all seems fine but it just stalls every 10meters.

Was going to a workshop to get the driver side front steering tie rod end and inner one replaced. It's because I have a VGRS check light too, after I one day came home and turned wheels all the way to left and then right, straightened it and shut car off and went home. Next day I start it up and VGRS lights up. Dealer said the whole steering rack + ECU needs to be replaced because it's all one big part and not fixable(gave me a 6k bill, haven't gone for it yet). So after VGRS came on, a month went by and my right primary cat was starting to fall into pieces it seems. A small block broke loose I guess and got stuck in the secondary cat and rattled like a bolt in a metal bucket. That disappeared after 2 weeks. PCS, engine light, VSC come on though every 2 hours of driving because it recognizes I'm running rich.

Tie rod replacement might fix the issue after I have a recalibration done also, cat problem will be solved too BUT what is this STALLING??!?!?
I will try disconnecting the battery, testing the battery(maybe needs to be replaced). Has anyone had the same stalling issue happen? I will probably get it towed. Help me please!
I uploaded some pictures too, you can see all the codes that it has.

Old 12-01-20, 06:36 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 883 Likes on 653 Posts

Try revving engine in while in Park. If the engines revs fine then air, fuel delivery system are, probably, OK.

You have codes associated with pre-collision safety system, I will not be surprise if it causes the issue. Also catalytic converter problems (leaks, malfunction) can cause lagging in performance not sure about stalling.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-bank-2-a.html
Old 12-01-20, 07:38 AM
Wildezt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip! Tried revving the engine and it revs just fine. Boy it sounds good too but no success. I had it sit without the battery for +30min. and no success. I made a video and well found out it doesn't want to start now too. So I'm really suspicious it could be MANY things. Everything is fine except when I press the brake it dies.

Old 12-01-20, 07:59 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildezt
Thanks for the tip! Tried revving the engine and it revs just fine. Boy it sounds good too but no success. I had it sit without the battery for +30min. and no success. I made a video and well found out it doesn't want to start now too. So I'm really suspicious it could be MANY things. Everything is fine except when I press the brake it dies.
Do you know if the brake actuator was replaced? Many of the systems/sub-systems are interconnected, so when a main component fails or throws a code, it will affect other systems and may put the vehicle in to a limp/safety mode so that essentially it cannot be driven. The brake actuator is a known issue in these cars, especially earlier model years.

Old 12-01-20, 08:09 AM
Wildezt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lwphat66
Do you know if the brake actuator was replaced? Many of the systems/sub-systems are interconnected, so when a main component fails or throws a code, it will affect other systems and may put the vehicle in to a limp/safety mode so that essentially it cannot be driven. The brake actuator is a known issue in these cars, especially earlier model years.
Last owner got it checked by Lexus dealer about 7 months ago and they said it was okay. No idea if it was replaced as this car came from Latvia and I live in Estonia, it's been in my country for 11 months now and not much has been replaced(no need, except now VGRS, cat & this). I was told by the Latvian Wess Motors Lexus dealer that I can get info on the service history ONLY if I show up with the car to their dealer, as it's confidential. All recalls for my car are done they said and the car was serviced only at Lexus dealer. How could I tell if it's bad? I have searched, so much on this topic but not a lot has been said about how to check the brake actuator imo.
Old 12-07-20, 07:27 AM
Wildezt
Driver School Candidate

Problem SOLVED! It was aftermarket immobilizer's key battery. Never thought about that because it was aftermarket and well hidden. Just had to change a 3v battery.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wildezt:
fwhomeboy (12-07-20), NotFasty (12-07-20)
Old 12-07-20, 07:44 AM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildezt
Problem SOLVED! It was aftermarket immobilizer's key battery. Never thought about that because it was aftermarket and well hidden. Just had to change a 3v battery.
Dang that was a good find!