LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Transmission fluid change (DIY)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-20, 07:50 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Transmission fluid change (DIY)

I’m thinking about doing my own transmission fluid change. Has anyone here done it themselves? I know there’s a big debate on it being lifetime etc. but I want to do it. I’m at 100k miles at the moment.

I don’t have tech stream, but I’ve been researching and it seems that tech stream is used to check the temperature. I’ve seen YouTube videos of people using a temperature scanner guns to get temperature readings. I know I’ll need a pump also. Is there anything else I’m missing ? Does anyone know which filter I’m supposed to use also?

Totally up for any advice that people are willing to give. Thanks!
Old 12-02-20, 04:39 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

Drop the pan and replace the strainer. Refill with around 3-4 quarts. Level the car with access to the transmission, remove the overflow plug. Start the car and wait until it reaches operating temperature by checking the pan temperature. If you have a proper level of the fluid, you will see a very small amount of fluid coming out. If you don't see any, add more fluid.

If you are insisting on replacing whole fluid, do drop-and-refill every engine oil change.
Old 12-02-20, 05:11 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

hi allusuc, read the posts in the ls460 forums lots of people chime in w opinions..

if you have a good indy, I would get half the fluid out without doing a whole change and replace with some fresh fluid.
this way it doesn't shock the tranny and gives you some fluid with heat dispersing properties.

everyone has a diff opinion on topic, but flushing tranny is not something to do.
Old 12-02-20, 05:18 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
hi allusuc, read the posts in the ls460 forums lots of people chime in w opinions..

if you have a good indy, I would get half the fluid out without doing a whole change and replace with some fresh fluid.
this way it doesn't shock the tranny and gives you some fluid with heat dispersing properties.

everyone has a diff opinion on topic, but flushing tranny is not something to do.
thanks! I plan to open the drain plug screw, let it drain out, then close it back up. Then measure the amount and refill. I won’t be flushing. It should be 2-3 quarts which isn’t a full drain.
Old 12-02-20, 05:32 AM
Sheers22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfanger
Drop the pan and replace the strainer. Refill with around 3-4 quarts. Level the car with access to the transmission, remove the overflow plug. Start the car and wait until it reaches operating temperature by checking the pan temperature. If you have a proper level of the fluid, you will see a very small amount of fluid coming out. If you don't see any, add more fluid.

If you are insisting on replacing whole fluid, do drop-and-refill every engine oil change.
Well explained, seems you know a lot about transmissions
Old 12-02-20, 10:42 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Does anyone know what kind of wrench I need to remove the 24mm fill bolt? Not much room to use my regular socket wrench! Advice please!
Old 12-02-20, 06:20 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Old 12-02-20, 06:21 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

It's a shallow 24mm socket. Works great 👍
I think I got it from Harbor Freight.
Old 12-02-20, 07:08 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
It's a shallow 24mm socket. Works great 👍
I think I got it from Harbor Freight.

thanks a ton!! Do you remember how many quarts / bottles of Toyota transmission oil you needed? 3 bottles per drain? 4?
Old 12-02-20, 07:16 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

I used 4. The book says 3.75 I think.
Old 12-02-20, 07:33 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

I used 4. The book says 3.75 I think.
thanks! So did you drive it and then drain / fill the tranny again after a few weeks? I’m going to assume the oil is dark after not being changed for 100k miles.
Old 12-03-20, 12:37 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Allusuc
thanks! So did you drive it and then drain / fill the tranny again after a few weeks? I’m going to assume the oil is dark after not being changed for 100k miles.
I didn't drive it first. I drained it in the morning, also changed my oil then drove it. This is my third drain and fill in two years. The fluid was dark before I did it the first time. I'm going to do it again in 5k more miles. It cost me about 45 bucks for 4 qts. On ebay.
Old 12-03-20, 04:27 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

I didn't drive it first. I drained it in the morning, also changed my oil then drove it. This is my third drain and fill in two years. The fluid was dark before I did it the first time. I'm going to do it again in 5k more miles. It cost me about 45 bucks for 4 qts. On ebay.
thank you for all your insight. I will be doing it this weekend. Any additional advice? I’ll have the car leveled. Open the fill valve first. Then the drain valve. Measure the amount drained. Close up the drain valve. Fill new fluid in. Start up the car and wait for it to reach a certain temp. Unscrew the overflow bolt, then tighten it after it trickles. Then done!

two questions: what temp do you wait for it to be? And also the overflow drain, is that opened with an Allen wrench?
Old 12-03-20, 05:19 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Allusuc
thank you for all your insight. I will be doing it this weekend. Any additional advice? I’ll have the car leveled. Open the fill valve first. Then the drain valve. Measure the amount drained. Close up the drain valve. Fill new fluid in. Start up the car and wait for it to reach a certain temp. Unscrew the overflow bolt, then tighten it after it trickles. Then done!

two questions: what temp do you wait for it to be? And also the overflow drain, is that opened with an Allen wrench?
I didn't do the temp and overflow part. I need you to do it and let me know how that went please. I failed to do that so I half assed it. Don't be like me. Do it right and report back. Yes, I'm a slacker.
Old 12-03-20, 05:20 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

At 100k, you should really change the strainer and the pan gasket.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change (DIY)