LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Valve cover gasket - fix or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-20, 02:51 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
Noooooo, Just the engine covers, NOT the valve covers. Just take off the plastic covers to see the engine..

That makes more sense. I was appalled that someone would suggest taking off the valve covers to inspect them.
Old 12-08-20, 03:12 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

With the engine covers off, you can see the leak if its bad enough to deal with.
Looking clean! Hey so uhhhh wouldn’t it still be pretty hard to see if there are any leaks just from the picture you’re showing?
Old 12-08-20, 03:23 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Allusuc
Looking clean! Hey so uhhhh wouldn’t it still be pretty hard to see if there are any leaks just from the picture you’re showing?
Get a flashlight and reach in the toolbox and get some initiative, usually in the bottom drawer next to the motivation. Start here and look for any leaks. You might have to remove the air boxes.
Old 12-13-20, 08:58 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

With the engine covers off, you can see the leak if its bad enough to deal with.
checked it all! Both sides, no leak. Dry dry dry. Then i looked waaaay underneath and saw some fresh brown oil at the bottom of the plastic under covers... and it was directly under the oil filter housing!! I’ll examine it for the next oil change as im sooo busy. But I think the folks who did the last oil change either didn’t tighten enough, or they didn’t change the o rings... but I have a good feeling the oil leak is coming from the oil filter.

is there a specific torque for the oil filter?
Old 12-13-20, 10:15 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

checked it all! Both sides, no leak. Dry dry dry. Then i looked waaaay underneath and saw some fresh brown oil at the bottom of the plastic under covers... and it was directly under the oil filter housing!! I’ll examine it for the next oil change as im sooo busy. But I think the folks who did the last oil change either didn’t tighten enough, or they didn’t change the o rings... but I have a good feeling the oil leak is coming from the oil filter.

is there a specific torque for the oil filter?
Hey, BTW, when I had my PPI, (Pre-purchace Inspection) before I bought my car, the Lexus mechanic saw the same thing on my bottom cover. It was the oil filter leaking a little bit. No problem really. Just make sure you install the 2 new O-rings on the oil filter and make sure you get the big one in the correct groove. Then use the manual for the correct torque value. I always use the GERMAN TORQUE on mine. GUU-DEN-TITE. Good find Sir.
Old 12-14-20, 12:03 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Hey, BTW, when I had my PPI, (Pre-purchace Inspection) before I bought my car, the Lexus mechanic saw the same thing on my bottom cover. It was the oil filter leaking a little bit. No problem really. Just make sure you install the 2 new O-rings on the oil filter and make sure you get the big one in the correct groove. Then use the manual for the correct torque value. I always use the GERMAN TORQUE on mine. GUU-DEN-TITE. Good find Sir.
LOL, that's even better than my SWAG method (Silly Wild *** Guess)!

Old 12-14-20, 02:03 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

you think I should try tightening it? Worried it’s already tight and I’ll strip or mess something up. Never done an oil change before (but I’ve done radiator and tranny refill) lol. Or just do it on the next oil change?
Old 12-14-20, 02:07 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 874 Likes on 646 Posts

you think I should try tightening it? Worried it’s already tight and I’ll strip or mess something up. Never done an oil change before (but I’ve done radiator and tranny refill) lol. Or just do it on the next oil change?
If you don't trust your hands to set a proper torque, get a torque wrench. At least, that is what I did.
Old 12-14-20, 02:15 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Anfanger
If you don't trust your hands to set a proper torque, get a torque wrench. At least, that is what I did.
yep! I just got a torque wrench today. I’ll torque it to 30 foot pounds. Is that what it calls for?
Old 12-14-20, 02:19 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Check your dip stick. If it's not low, wait until the next oil change, but, keep checking on it and don't bother trying to tighten it. IF IT'S LOW, then it's time to address it. One qt. low is understandable, just top it off. Come back and chime in if you have a bone dry stick.
Old 12-14-20, 02:27 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Check your dip stick. If it's not low, wait until the next oil change, but, keep checking on it and don't bother trying to tighten it. IF IT'S LOW, then it's time to address it. One qt. low is understandable, just top it off. Come back and chime in if you have a bone dry stick.

checked on it yesterday. Not low, it’s right in the center of the two dots of the dip stick. Been this way for a month now. I think I’m ok! But will continue to check. Thanks for ur advice brother!
Old 12-14-20, 03:43 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 874 Likes on 646 Posts

yep! I just got a torque wrench today. I’ll torque it to 30 foot pounds. Is that what it calls for?
Torque values should be written on the oil filter housing.
Old 12-14-20, 08:33 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

What just amazes me is looking at that engine compartment and remembering all the space in the compartment on 50's and 60's cars.
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (12-14-20)
Old 12-14-20, 09:38 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
What just amazes me is looking at that engine compartment and remembering all the space in the compartment on 50's and 60's cars.
1960 v-8

1960 v-8 (283)

Last edited by fwhomeboy; 12-14-20 at 09:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nospinzone (12-15-20)
Old 12-14-20, 09:41 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Nospinzone

My v-8 in my 1976 Monte Carlo.(350)

Quick Reply: Valve cover gasket - fix or no?