LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help, out of town

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-20, 08:50 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Help, out of town

Needs some advice please.
Out of town no lexus dealer around. Went to drive my 2011 LS sport.
Pulling out of driveway I noticed a bad grinding noise when hit the brake.
We are on the ocean front. And in previous years the rotors can get rust on them overnight. And so occasionally am used to hearing a little grinding and squeal the first use of the day. if a lot of fog/moisture night before.
But this time about 10 times worse and no squeal. And last night not any fog.
Drove a block and when tapped the brakes I heard it again. Bad enough for me to turn around and come back to where we are staying.
Best way to describe. It sounded just like if you ran over a gallon paint can and was dragging along the road.. Or the bottom engine cover came loose and that was dragging. But just when using the brakes. Sounded real bad and did not want to go further. Seemed to be coming from drivers front area.
Anyway turned around and came back and parked it.
Called a friend and he said it sounded like maybe a rock got stuck in the brakes. Took the car back out. Driving slow for 15 minutes in the subdivision. And everything seemed fine.
Not sure if I should do anything. Did find a Toyota dealer a hour away I could go to.
It is a 6 hour trip back home from here and now worried I could get stuck on the road in the middle of nowhere.

Any opinions on if I have a problem? thanks

Also only 45K miles on the car. Passenger air shock was replaced at 35K but not drivers. And did not look like car was leaning. Front brembo brakes replace 10K miles ago with power stop pads. Just to get rid of the squeal.

Old 12-10-20, 08:55 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 898 Likes on 663 Posts

If the noise went away after driving, it should be OK. Important thing to remember is to press brakes gently until the noise goes away.

Last edited by Anfanger; 12-10-20 at 08:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RR601 (12-11-20)
Old 12-10-20, 08:57 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by RR601
Needs some advice please.
Out of town no lexus dealer around. Went to drive my 2011 LS sport.
Pulling out of driveway I noticed a bad grinding noise when hit the brake.
We are on the ocean front. And in previous years the rotors can get rust on them overnight. And so occasionally am used to hearing a little grinding and squeal the first use of the day. if a lot of fog/moisture night before.
But this time about 10 times worse and no squeal. And last night not any fog.
Drove a block and when tapped the brakes I heard it again. Bad enough for me to turn around and come back to where we are staying.
Best way to describe. It sounded just like if you ran over a gallon paint can and was dragging along the road.. Or the bottom engine cover came loose and that was dragging. But just when using the brakes. Sounded real bad and did not want to go further. Seemed to be coming from drivers front area.
Anyway turned around and came back and parked it.
Called a friend and he said it sounded like maybe a rock got stuck in the brakes. Took the car back out. Driving slow for 15 minutes in the subdivision. And everything seemed fine.
Not sure if I should do anything. Did find a Toyota dealer a hour away I could go to.
It is a 6 hour trip back home from here and now worried I could get stuck on the road in the middle of nowhere.

Any opinions on if I have a problem? thanks

Also only 45K miles on the car. Passenger air shock was replaced at 35K but not drivers. And did not look like car was leaning. Front brembo brakes replace 10K miles ago with power stop pads. Just to get rid of the squeal.
Go to any local garage/mechanic and have them remove the right front tire and look at the pads on that wheel. My 2 cents.
Old 12-10-20, 09:28 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Yes agree with going somewhere local like a Firestone or Goodyear and ask them to inspect the brakes.
RR601 (12-11-20)
Old 12-10-20, 09:42 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Your R/F Caliper will be where the problem is. Either the Caliper bolt is loose or a spring on a pad came off. Something simple like that. @0 bucks and you're rolling again.
RR601 (12-11-20)
Old 12-10-20, 04:08 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks all for the quick responses. I ended up taking the car for one short drive. Then another for 20 minutes at highway speeds. And did not notice any problems.
Did locate a local Goodyear not to far away if I needed them.
So guessing if a actual problem like a bolt or caliper spring if would have happened again. If that sounds right.
All my years of driving never had a sound like that.
Old 12-10-20, 04:56 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by RR601
Thanks all for the quick responses. I ended up taking the car for one short drive. Then another for 20 minutes at highway speeds. And did not notice any problems.
Did locate a local Goodyear not to far away if I needed them.
So guessing if a actual problem like a bolt or caliper spring if would have happened again. If that sounds right.
All my years of driving never had a sound like that.
With all your years of driving, you do know that the problem will rear it's ugly head when you're out in the middle of nowhere if you just blow it off now when you know that sound wasn't normal. Please, have that tire removed and look at the brake caliper. My 2 cents.
Old 12-10-20, 05:23 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
With all your years of driving, you do know that the problem will rear it's ugly head when you're out in the middle of nowhere if you just blow it off now when you know that sound wasn't normal. Please, have that tire removed and look at the brake caliper. My 2 cents.
Maybe you can find a local Discount Tire there and have them do a tire rotation free and you can have them look at it then.