LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Overall Diameter on wheel/tires exceeding 28" on LS460

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-20, 07:50 AM
naterdee
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Overall Diameter on wheel/tires exceeding 28" on LS460

I recently acquired a set of 4, 21x9 et29 Work Schwert SC2's to put on my '11 LS460 AWD. Messing with offset and tire size calculators, the original size currently installed is a 18x7.5et32(Stock rim) on a 255/50/18 - This grants 28" total diameter with 10" wide.

My question is, to decrease a slight amount, the gap between the top of tire and fender, by going with a 255/40/21 to avoid lowering the car. Will this 1) look ridiculous, 2) have any rubbing issues (It increases the overall diameter to 29") and 3) Fit. According to the calculator I'm using it doesn't seem like it will hit the control arm, but wondering at full turn if it will. (IT does take overall diameter to 29" with 10" width, essentially raising the vehicle half an inch)

Important to note my vehicle does NOT have the oem air suspension & is AWD (Hence why im not running staggered and want to keep the ability to rotate)

I can put a 255/35/21 on and keep everything the same measurement wise as the 18" setup, but the tires are ridiculously expensive, ride is arguably better with a 40 series sidewall, and nothing is available in a UHP all season in that size (Summer or winter only) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are available in the 255/40/21 however for roughly $1300/set

Much more selection are available in the 255/40/21 (And cheaper)

Appreciate the input!

Last edited by naterdee; 12-18-20 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-17-20, 12:16 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 453 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by naterdee
I recently acquired a set of 4, 21x9 et29 Work Schwert SC2's to put on my '11 LS460. Messing with offset and tire size calculators, the original size currently installed is a 18x7.5et32(Stock rim) on a 255/50/18 - This grants 28" total diameter with 10" wide.

My question is, to decrease a slight amount, the gap between the top of tire and fender, by going with a 255/40/21 to avoid lowering the car. Will this 1) look ridiculous, 2) have any rubbing issues (It increases the overall diameter to 29") and 3) Fit. According to the calculator I'm using it doesn't seem like it will hit the control arm, but wondering at full turn if it will. (IT does take overall diameter to 29" with 10" width, essentially raising the vehicle half an inch)

Important to note my vehicle does NOT have the oem air suspension & is AWD (Hence why im not running staggered and want to keep the ability to rotate)

I can put a 255/35/21 on and keep everything the same measurement wise as the 18" setup, but the tires are ridiculously expensive, ride is arguably better with a 40 series sidewall, and nothing is available in a UHP all season in that size (Summer or winter only) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are available in the 255/40/21 however for roughly $1300/set

Much more selection are available in the 255/40/21 (And cheaper)

Appreciate the input!
That's a tough one, and I wish I could give you a definitive answer. But I don't recall the few posts in the wheel/tire thread where someone went significantly above the overall diameter. However, I believe the +29 offset will be enough to keep the tires from rubbing when the the wheels are fully turned. Several years ago while building a friend's car, we had a similar issue and used spacers (wood blocks) that we placed all around the existing wheel/tire, held in place by tie down straps, to simulate the diameter and width increases. We were going to use the same wheel but with larger tires, so offset change wasn't an issue. In your case, the 3mm change is minimal and may not come in to play.
Old 12-18-20, 06:33 AM
naterdee
Driver

Well, not sure how I missed this the first 10 times perusing through the wheel tire thread (Maybe because its a convoluted mess lol) ...nah honestly I decided to check diameters of 22" wheels since 85%+ of the posts there are ....well, 22"!

This guy went with a 255/35/22 front (Different rear but even larger so np since I'm squared at 21x9 et+29)

His overall diameter is 29% , Width 10%, on stock suspension (Not lowered or air)

255/40/21 is exactly the same dimensions with half an inch more sidewall for added comfort.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/604361-ls-460-600-wheel-and-tire-information-details-thread-7.html#post9610012
Looks good to me ....ordered the tires!

Last edited by naterdee; 12-21-20 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-18-20, 06:53 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Well, not sure how I missed this the first 10 times perusing through the wheel tire thread (Maybe because its a convoluted mess lol) ...nah honestly I decided to check diameters of 22" wheels since 85%+ of the posts there are ....well, 22"!

This guy went with a 255/35/22 front (Different rear but even larger so np since I'm squared at 21x9 et+29)

His overall diameter is 29% , Width 10%, on stock suspension (Not lowered or air)

255/40/21 is exactly the same dimensions with half an inch more sidewall for added comfort.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9610012

Looks good to me ....ordered the tires!
"convoluted mess" <BFG> Now that's an understatement

Here's one of 2 or 3 I recall with 24s: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-thread-7.html
(post# 105 if you don't land directly on it)

And as far as the fender/wheel gap, I think decreasing it by 1/2' will look good. Most people probably will not notice the overall 1" diameter increase. Do you have any pics of your car's stance the way it sits now?

Old 12-18-20, 07:17 AM
naterdee
Driver

255/50/18 on stock 18x7.5 et+32 wheel - squared -

& here are the wheels on the guys Lexus I bought them from on stock height no air or lowered suspension . (He was running 245/35/21 all the way around)

Comparison from his setup to 255/40/21 below...

Went with cheaper tires on the order this time around to be sure I like the fitment/ride. 540 bucks shipped....lol

Last edited by naterdee; 12-18-20 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-18-20, 09:53 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Sweet, nice pick up! Those wheels have long been a favorite of mine, The below is riding on 20s, not sure of tire sizes, but it's in the wheel thread somewhere and I have a feeling you've already seen it. I take it you're on stock, non-air suspension? I think they're going to look great, however, you may get a slight variance in your speedo reading. But such a small price to have nice wheels and a smooth ride you're satisfied with. Looking forward to when you get those bad boys on, gonna change the look of your ride big time!

Old 12-18-20, 11:45 AM
naterdee
Driver

Originally Posted by lwphat66
Sweet, nice pick up! Those wheels have long been a favorite of mine, The below is riding on 20s, not sure of tire sizes, but it's in the wheel thread somewhere and I have a feeling you've already seen it. I take it you're on stock, non-air suspension? I think they're going to look great, however, you may get a slight variance in your speedo reading. But such a small price to have nice wheels and a smooth ride you're satisfied with. Looking forward to when you get those bad boys on, gonna change the look of your ride big time!

Yep saw it lol. & no, I dont have air

Im pretty jazzed. Will be getting tires delivered around christmas, have a mobile installer coming out to put them on, will post all the lighting upgrade pics along with the new setup after.

Happy Holidays bud!
Old 12-18-20, 12:21 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Yep saw it lol. & no, I dont have air

Im pretty jazzed. Will be getting tires delivered around christmas, have a mobile installer coming out to put them on, will post all the lighting upgrade pics along with the new setup after.

Happy Holidays bud!
Dammit, you guys are getting some real nice presents this year while I got stuck with a complete set of front control arms!
Plan is to install them between Christmas and New Years.....that is, if I still have some holiday spirit. All the best to ya brother!

Old 12-18-20, 01:43 PM
naterdee
Driver

Originally Posted by lwphat66
Dammit, you guys are getting some real nice presents this year while I got stuck with a complete set of front control arms!
Plan is to install them between Christmas and New Years.....that is, if I still have some holiday spirit. All the best to ya brother!
Lol. Hey those arms arent cheap! Just look at your Christmas present visually, at your hands not vibrating on your steering wheel after drinking 20 RedBulls
Old 12-18-20, 02:02 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Lol. Hey those arms arent cheap! Just look at your Christmas present visually, at your hands not vibrating on your steering wheel after drinking 20 RedBulls
Thanks, that visual helped! LOL
But here's the reality: new wheels=ooh's & aah's, new control arms=cricket sounds
It's like giving a girl some expensive jewelry vs giving her a mop
Old 12-18-20, 02:12 PM
Mastiffman
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This app may help
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc
Old 12-18-20, 09:20 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Yeah, I created that thread many many years ago and I've gone into it off and on to delete posts that did not follow the intended format as requested throughout the thread. I'll need to clean it up again. As long as folks stick to the format with just posting the template and inputting their specs it would flow much nicer. At least the thread is searchable and there are a ton of examples if folks look through the posts which has grown to many pages now. Hard to herd cats

Edit: I just deleted about 35 posts in the thread, so hopefully it looks a little cleaner now without the replies and random comments.

Last edited by CJITTY; 12-18-20 at 09:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lwphat66 (12-19-20)
Old 12-19-20, 04:01 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Yeah, I created that thread many many years ago and I've gone into it off and on to delete posts that did not follow the intended format as requested throughout the thread. I'll need to clean it up again. As long as folks stick to the format with just posting the template and inputting their specs it would flow much nicer. At least the thread is searchable and there are a ton of examples if folks look through the posts which has grown to many pages now. Hard to herd cats

Edit: I just deleted about 35 posts in the thread, so hopefully it looks a little cleaner now without the replies and random comments.
Many thanks and props for all of your time, effort, and contributions over the years CJ! Your knowledge really helped me out when I first bought my Data System controller and installed it. It's working perfectly, and I have not had any issues.

Old 12-19-20, 08:51 AM
naterdee
Driver

Originally Posted by CJITTY

appreciate it Cjitty! May I Suggest having subcategory of stickies within the sticky? 1 For ea. 19,20,21,22+ (Lets be honest there arent a myriad of 24"s on the LS.

Granted its all about people following directions, but could help
Old 12-19-20, 05:40 PM
naterdee
Driver

The 21" Work Schwert wheel will stick out 3mm more

On stock 18X7.5 et+32offset 255/50/18 Michelin A/S

Overall diameter will increase by 1 inch, 1 inch less sidewall, and same width of 10"

Tinted corner of amber on headlights. Thoughts? I can always pull it off...lol
The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (12-29-20)

Quick Reply: Overall Diameter on wheel/tires exceeding 28" on LS460