LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

07-17 LS460 Control Arms All Interchange: Videos Inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-22, 12:06 PM
Wlmitty
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Striker223 for chiming in on that. One of the videos shows the differences very plainly.
I did research on this issue way before I ever bought my LS460. I was lucky and convinced the dealer to replace all of them or no deal. And they did. So I ended up with a hell of a car, all new front arms, new tires, new battery, all filters replaced inside and out and new wiper blades. The only bad is they used the old bad design arms that I will eventually have to replace. Been thinking of taking those arms down and stuffing full of heavy duty washers to fill that void but that's alot of work and may not be so effective as a solid massed spacer as they used.
Old 10-05-22, 08:43 AM
MoodDxb
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy parts from dubai

This site also offers good price for parts

https://toyotadxb.com/
Old 10-05-22, 08:46 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by MoodDxb
This site also offers good price for parts

https://toyotadxb.com/

lol shipping parts from Dubai would be…. Not practical.

do you work there or promote them online?
Old 10-05-22, 08:56 AM
MoodDxb
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
lol shipping parts from Dubai would be…. Not practical.

do you work there or promote them online?
No I don't work there but ai compared the prices and it was very competitive... because some people got quotes for even 5000 usd for same parts while I got them for almost 1900 usd ... If anyone has better suggestions I am happy to hear it ... just trying to help ... maybe its good just for me because I am living here and I don't have to pay shipping charges
Old 10-05-22, 09:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by MoodDxb
No I don't work there but ai compared the prices and it was very competitive... because some people got quotes for even 5000 usd for same parts while I got them for almost 1900 usd ... If anyone has better suggestions I am happy to hear it ... just trying to help ... maybe its good just for me because I am living here and I don't have to pay shipping charges
Maybe give an example of a specific part and let’s compare difference to an online parts dealer price here
Old 10-05-22, 11:09 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

There may even be significant customs tariffs to be paid by USA recipient on top of shipping. I've never been able to get a tariff quote from any overseas seller. They don't know, it's up to US customs discretion.
Old 10-05-22, 07:07 PM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Here you go, look these up from local sources.

Old 01-11-23, 06:39 PM
Biyiklik
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ball joints

Originally Posted by Wlmitty
As A personal mechanic not by trade I can tell you what I believe was the problem all along.
First I own a 2011 LS460 and love the car. 108000 miles recently purchased last month.
The part that was added is a spacer to keep the control arm from fore and aft movement.
Some are calling it a washer but its actually a spacer. See the control arm can and should only move up and down. With that bad design it allowed the arm to move forward each time you hit the brakes or cornered and possibly even acceleration. Its not supposed to work that way. The arm and bushing must be secured to the mounting bracket on both sides to function properly. With that void on one side is what created the problem. I cant believe it took Lexus engineers so long to realize their mistake and fix it.
With that control arm moving this way also contributes to upper bushing wear as it transfers some of that forward movement upwards too. So it basically is wearing the whole front end out by unnecessary movement.
I'm just glad there is a fix for it from the newer models and do hope that my explanation helps people understand what was really going on with the premature wear issues. I don't think that the bushings themselves were ever the problem as much as that void in the control arm mounting was more the culprit.
Sorry for the lengthy first posting but felt the need to explain this issue in more detail. I look forward to being a member here and hope to help out as I can with my experiences and knowledge from working on cars since the 70's.
Hi, i am in desperate need of help.I live in Dallas and looking for a good mechanic who knows how to work on ls460.I have been dealing with the control arms and purchased from rockauto for last 2 yrs.Recently my front lower control arms were changed but it looks like the ball joints are not in good condition anymore.How do you take care of them as they are attached to the knuckle.Any suggestion for mechanic and also for changing ball joints.I am not enjoyijg driving when i go over bumps,pot holes etc.On a highway there is not issue but lower speeds any bumps makes a sound.
Old 01-11-23, 06:41 PM
LILEVO
Advanced

Received 255 Likes on 130 Posts

Replace the stabilizer bar bushings first. It will knock at low speed like that and they are relatively cheap and easy to swap out. Mine were bad at 100k, probably sooner.
Old 01-11-23, 06:54 PM
Biyiklik
Rookie

I have done that already about a month ago
Old 01-11-23, 07:32 PM
Biyiklik
Rookie

Can sway bar bushings make rattling sound? I ammmm so annoyed as this car has so many detailed parts.It is a nice car but also eats a lot of money!
Old 01-11-23, 07:34 PM
Biyiklik
Rookie

Oh my.I meant stabilizer links!!!
Old 01-11-23, 08:39 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Rattling may be metal exhaust heat shields have loosened. Common enough, baling wire fix.
Old 01-12-23, 04:34 AM
Biyiklik
Rookie

Originally Posted by swfla
Rattling may be metal exhaust heat shields have loosened. Common enough, baling wire fix.
it is coming from the front and close to the left especially.It just drives me crazy!!!
Old 01-12-23, 05:46 AM
derreckla
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you have pictures of this "spacer"? I bought after market bushings and a press was going to do all of the arms on my old car as a "project/hobby" would love to update these with the "spacer". Is this something I can add, or should I just buy the updated/upgraded control arm front lower.?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 07-17 LS460 Control Arms All Interchange: Videos Inside