LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Control Arm Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-21, 07:03 PM
mrgameover
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AZGS4
I think I will be. I was going to order the FIGS/Mevotech kit, but they are back ordered at least a couple of weeks. I may order the the 4 lower arms in your link and then get the FIGS/Mevotech for the uppers when available. Question for you LILEVO, Am I going to be doubling up on a bunch of work if I do the 4 lowers and then come back a few weeks later and do the uppers? If it is a bunch of overlap disassembly that I have to do twice I may just garage the car and wait for all parts to come in before I do anything. Please advise. Thanks,.
Id say wait and do it all at once including inner and outer tie rod. There will be a little overlapping work if you do decide to do it separately. Being as mine is an 07 with 130k, I went the cheaper route with a generic kit from ebay that included 16 pieces. I believe i paid near $400 for it earlier last year. It included pretty much the whole front end minus the ball joint in the knuckles. I even swapped out the front air struts with the generic ebay ones at the same time. Its been about eight months and the car is still riding tight and solid. Whole front end cost me about $1200. Thats with me doing the work.

Originally Posted by LILEVO
You can do everything independently. If you wanted to do the uppers first, second, doesn't matter. You can swap out struts as well without disturbing any arms. You could do the lowers, or just the lower front arm first. The "hardest" is the lower rear arm because you have to unbolt the steering rack.
If you are referring to the drivers side lower control arm bolt, you do not need to unbolt the rack. When you are backing out that LCA bolt, it will hit the rack. If you look closely at where it hits, there is a 10mm bolt on the rack that has a bracket that holds some wire harness. Just undo that 10mm bolt from the rack and move the wiring and the LCA bolt will come out freely. Also a side note. Having a pitman arm puller will help separate the ball join easily.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (01-08-21)
Old 01-19-21, 02:38 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

OK. FIGS has been back ordered on their LS460 Core Refresh Kit, but their parts finally came in so I ordered today. I should have everything from FIGS within a week and I will be able to begin install. I have also been gathering other parts over the last few weeks and plan on doing everything all at once over a few days or so. Here is everything I have planed to install:
  1. Passenger and Driver side high pressure fuel pump reseal kits (Lexus OEM)
  2. Engine and transmission mounts (Lexus OEM)
  3. Spark plugs (Lexus OEM)
  4. Spark plug tube seals (Lexus OEM)
  5. Steering knuckle ball joints (Febest)
  6. Front sway bar links (Mevotech)
  7. Rear sway bar links (Mevotech)
  8. Rear sway bar bushings (Beck Arnley)
  9. FIGS Core Refresh Kit
    1. All 8 front control arms (Mevotech) with pre-installed FIGS bushings in the upper arms
    2. Inner and outer tie rods (Mevotech)
Wish me luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZGS4:
Mastiffman (01-19-21), sha4000 (01-19-21)
Old 01-19-21, 04:14 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

Do you really need to replace engine and transmission mounts?
Old 01-19-21, 04:51 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

OK. FIGS has been back ordered on their LS460 Core Refresh Kit, but their parts finally came in so I ordered today. I should have everything from FIGS within a week and I will be able to begin install. I have also been gathering other parts over the last few weeks and plan on doing everything all at once over a few days or so. Here is everything I have planed to install:
  1. Passenger and Driver side high pressure fuel pump reseal kits (Lexus OEM)
  2. Engine and transmission mounts (Lexus OEM)
  3. Spark plugs (Lexus OEM)
  4. Spark plug tube seals (Lexus OEM)
  5. Steering knuckle ball joints (Febest)
  6. Front sway bar links (Mevotech)
  7. Rear sway bar links (Mevotech)
  8. Rear sway bar bushings (Beck Arnley)
  9. FIGS Core Refresh Kit
    1. All 8 front control arms (Mevotech) with pre-installed FIGS bushings in the upper arms
    2. Inner and outer tie rods (Mevotech)
Wish me luck.
Take lots of pics.
Old 01-19-21, 05:52 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Anfanger
Do you really need to replace engine and transmission mounts?
Yes, my LS460 has 156K+ miles and is still on the original mounts. I am just now starting to get vibrations when in drive and at a stop, especially when the engine is warming up in the morning. I am pretty impressed the originals lasted as long as they did.
Old 01-19-21, 05:54 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sha4000
Take lots of pics.
I will try my best to get pics of any challenging areas. Each of the procedures I will be following have been well documented by other posters on this site, but it never hurts to have more.
Old 01-20-21, 04:28 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

Yes, my LS460 has 156K+ miles and is still on the original mounts. I am just now starting to get vibrations when in drive and at a stop, especially when the engine is warming up in the morning. I am pretty impressed the originals lasted as long as they did.
I got 158k on original parts, no vibration yet...
Old 01-20-21, 07:46 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

I realized after some initial disassembly for the fuel pump gasket and spark plug jobs that my valve cover gaskets are leaking on both sides. Given that I will already be 75% of the way to removing the valve covers anyway with everything else I am doing, I am going to go ahead and replace the valve cover gaskets as well. Ordering the gaskets in the morning.
Old 01-21-21, 03:31 AM
kingofbyte
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2012 LS here. I'm at 138K. No problems with the suspension whatsoever. I am however planning on a refresh at some point. Like @mrgameover mentioned, they have entire kits on ebay I was thinking of using. That seemed much more reasonable for $$. And I was glad to hear those parts were lasting - my biggest concern.

There are some video's on youtube that show the process somewhat. It didn't seem all that difficult, but I'd be taking many pictures to know how things are supposed to look when putting back together.

@AZGS4 definitely post your process. That will help countless others, including me
Old 01-22-21, 02:36 AM
Shakka65
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi All did Lexus sort the control arm issue get sorted on the LS600 from 2010 onwards? As every early car was affected by this