LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Simple Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-21, 09:16 PM
Boogie2Lex
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Simple Oil Question

Hey guys please don't butcher me for dumb questions lol

Low engine oil - does this mean to change the oil completely or just top-off the oil under the hood?
I'm curious because I still have about 2k miles before my next oil change is "due" but I'm getting the 'low engine oil' light. I was told by the guy at the dealership that the LS does consume a lot of oil, & that being said how often are you guys finding the need to top off with oil?
Old 01-11-21, 09:44 PM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I will add near a quart and measure the dipstick.
Old 01-11-21, 09:54 PM
Boogie2Lex
Driver School Candidate

Ya, I did that I was just wondering how often are people have to do this. Just wanted to make sure its not abnormal because I topped it off a couple of months ago as well.
Old 01-11-21, 10:08 PM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have 2016 and luckily it does not consume oil. I also own a 2010 Acura MDX and it burned oil, Acura refused to do anything to remedy it. I usually check oil every 2 or 3 weeks as a habit for all my cars.
Old 01-11-21, 10:24 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

This recently happened to me. Some users in the forums pointed out my using if k & n air intake filters being the problem... I had topped off a quart after 3k of driving at that time.

recently did a oil change and changed out my air intake filters, let’s see if this helps.

btw, I drive my car Hard and believe this could be a contributing factor. Lmk your thoughts
The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (01-13-21)
Old 01-12-21, 06:36 AM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

For my 2008 the low engine oil code is thrown when the oil is 3-4 quarts low.
Old 01-12-21, 06:53 AM
Outofspec
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a ‘07 LS with 97,000 miles and I will also consume approximately a quart of oil between changes. As Zetascry indicated, I think hard driving accelerates the consumption. I’m not concerned about it. I believe it’s a combination of gasket seeping, due to age, and the normal wear on very tight engine tolerance. Engineering has recommended 0-W20 to lubricate the tight tolerance, and improve fuel economy. The byproduct of this decision is some oil use between changes. My friend has a high end BMW and the dealer insists that oil use between changes is normal, and to be expected. With all that said, I believe that anymore than a 1 or 1.5 quarts add between changes should be looked into and will probably point to a substantial leak somewhere. Check your oil regularly, don’t rely on the light; and add when you have to. Monitor consumption.
Old 01-12-21, 07:22 AM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Exactly, I’d love to believe it’s gasket seeping or aging factors. I’ve only got 38k on my 2014 F-Sport and I drive it to redline in each gear manually when I’m in the mood.

Has to be something normal for a tight tolerance engine like this to consume 1-1.5 quarts between a 7k-10k interval oil change. Anything more should be checked out.
Old 01-12-21, 02:10 PM
Boogie2Lex
Driver School Candidate

The car doesn't move much, my wife drives it to work & home so maybe about 30 miles a day give or take.

Today I topped it off with 9 quarts of 0-W20 so I'll keep track of how fast that gets consumed! However, do remember the guy at Toyota telling me a month or so ago that the previous shop that changed my radiator did not tighten up something (idk the specific part name) which was causing it to have low oil pressure and he tightened that up then did an oil change and told me if I have the same problem too soon then its probably something more serious.

I am not sure if my low engine oil has anything to do with that part loosening up over time or its just part of it being an old car. This time it just said low oil and not low pressure.
Old 01-12-21, 03:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by Boogie2Lex
The car doesn't move much, my wife drives it to work & home so maybe about 30 miles a day give or take.

Today I topped it off with 9 quarts of 0-W20 so I'll keep track of how fast that gets consumed! However, do remember the guy at Toyota telling me a month or so ago that the previous shop that changed my radiator did not tighten up something (idk the specific part name) which was causing it to have low oil pressure and he tightened that up then did an oil change and told me if I have the same problem too soon then its probably something more serious.

I am not sure if my low engine oil has anything to do with that part loosening up over time or its just part of it being an old car. This time it just said low oil and not low pressure.
9? Well you likely have oil way up into the crank throws
Old 01-12-21, 05:01 PM
Boogie2Lex
Driver School Candidate

Idk what that means man. I just know they told me it takes 9, so I bought 9 and checked the dip stick and the marker is where it should be.
Old 01-12-21, 05:04 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Idk what that means man. I just know they told me it takes 9, so I bought 9 and checked the dip stick and the marker is where it should be.
what year do you have? Just had oil changed on my 14 LS and it took 10 full quarts
Old 01-12-21, 05:13 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

9 quarts? I am pretty sure when that oil warning message flashes you still have 5 quarts in the crankcase. Which means you probably now have 5 quarts too many. Drain the excess
Old 01-12-21, 05:28 PM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

"topping off" is adding perhaps one quart, NOT adding the full nine quarts that a complete oil change requires

My experience with my 07 is that when low oil light comes on to add ONE quart

My car burns a quart of oil approximate every 1500 miles so I keep a half dozen
quarts of 0-20 synthetic in my garage and put in a quart when the light comes on
Old 01-12-21, 05:54 PM
Boogie2Lex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zetascry
what year do you have? Just had oil changed on my 14 LS and it took 10 full quarts

I have an 07

Quick Reply: Simple Oil Question