LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Front Strut Removal Question and torque specs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-21, 12:48 PM
Gumart1
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Front Strut Removal Question and torque specs?

I am in the process of replacing my front struts on my 2014 LS. I followed a couple of videos on Youtube and the process has been pretty straightforward to this point - I have the nuts removed up top, upper control arms removed, steering knuckle out of the way and tied up so brake lines aren't stretched. The strut is loose and ready to be removed.
Now as I try to remove the strut it doesn't look like there is clearance over the lower control arm. I push it upward all the way and try to move it forward but it still needs at least an inch to clear the lower control arm.

I'm sure there is a simple answer but I'm stuck. Please help.
Also, does anyone have the torque specs for the front suspension, for when I button it back up?
Old 01-19-21, 01:21 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumart1
I am in the process of replacing my front struts on my 2014 LS. I followed a couple of videos on Youtube and the process has been pretty straightforward to this point - I have the nuts removed up top, upper control arms removed, steering knuckle out of the way and tied up so brake lines aren't stretched. The strut is loose and ready to be removed.
Now as I try to remove the strut it doesn't look like there is clearance over the lower control arm. I push it upward all the way and try to move it forward but it still needs at least an inch to clear the lower control arm.

Also, does anyone have the torque specs for the front suspension, for when I button it back up?
Did you remove the brake line bracket from the knuckle? With the upper ball joints removed, by grasping the top of the knuckle you should be able to move it out of the way to remove the strut, no?
The following users liked this post:
Gumart1 (01-19-21)
Old 01-19-21, 01:36 PM
Gumart1
Driver

Ahh, got it now. Thank you! I did have the brake line removed. I had the knuckle supported so well that I didn't realize it needed to be pushed downward slightly for the strut to clear. I appreciate the tip. Now if anyone has the torque specs I'll be good to go.
Old 01-22-21, 07:32 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Ahh, got it now. Thank you! I did have the brake line removed. I had the knuckle supported so well that I didn't realize it needed to be pushed downward slightly for the strut to clear. I appreciate the tip. Now if anyone has the torque specs I'll be good to go.
Sorry for the late reply but was just wondering if you were able to find the torque specs? I haven't used either of these yet, and there is some useful info on these types of sites in this thread: Service Manual? - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

https://www.alldata.com/diy/en

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo....toyota.com%2F

I'm currently trying to tack down a set of hard copy repair manuals for my '07 that were last seen somewhere in the South Florida area.....
Old 01-22-21, 07:46 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by lwphat66
Sorry for the late reply but was just wondering if you were able to find the torque specs? I haven't used either of these yet, and there is some useful info on these types of sites in this thread: Service Manual? - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

I'm currently trying to tack down a set of hard copy repair manuals for my '07 that were last seen somewhere in the South Florida area.....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Lexus-...temCondition=4
Old 01-22-21, 08:35 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Thanks, but I'm hoping to get them for less, plus the set I'm chasing includes the wiring schematics volume. Found the previous shop that owned them but closed and sold them to another shop. Time to put on my detective hat and continue the search.....
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (01-22-21)
Old 01-22-21, 11:54 AM
Gumart1
Driver

Originally Posted by lwphat66

I wasn't able to find the torques specs but thank you for the link. Wow those prices have gone up a lot on the hard copy shop manuals compared to when I had my '98LS.
Old 01-22-21, 12:50 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by sha4000:
Gumart1 (01-22-21), lwphat66 (01-22-21)
Old 01-22-21, 01:14 PM
Gumart1
Driver

Excellent, thanks!