LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Project LS600HL for cheap

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-21, 06:39 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

Another update...
The 600 is still running strong. After putting a few thousand more miles on it I'm debating on reinstalling the upper poly bushings. The steering has a loose feeling after a u turn while accelerating. The steering wheel actually tracks about 15 degrees off center for 30 feet or so while I accelerate after a sharp turn. My guess is the upper bushings I pushed in are allowing more play then the poly bushings. Has anyone tried to coat poly bushings with anti seize to keep them quieter longer? I'm thinking the replacement bushings just can't handle the added weight of the 600. I used the same bushings on my 460 with no problems. This winter I may also try my 460 tires on my 600. I feel like the larger tires on the 460 provide more isolation from the road.

Only a few minor issues to report.

One super leaky gas cap...
Recently after filing up with a full tank of gas I would have fuel running down the side of the car out the fill port. I thought the gas station pump may have over filled the car. I filled at a different station a few weeks later, same thing happened, gas running down the side of the car. I've never experienced something like this. The fuel would seep / leak for days. After every drive there was residual fuel on the side of the car. No codes but an obvious leak. Once the gas level was down to 3/4 or so it would stop leaking. I avoided filling it to the top until I installed the new cap. A new oem gas cap fixed it. I filled up with a full tank this week, no leaks. It took me about a month to receive the correct gas cap. The ebay vendor I purchased from initially sent me the wrong cap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Squeaky rear brakes?
I noticed a high pitch brake type noise a few weeks ago. I feel bad for my neighbors. I think the high pitch squeal was happening every morning for quite some time. I happened to back out with my windows down a few weeks ago and noticed the noise. The car is so well isolated I didn't hear it at all with the windows up. After a closer listen I determined the noise was happening with the brakes off too. A few days ago while installing new rear pads and discs I noticed the brake heat / dust shield was slightly bent. I believe it was barely coming in contact with the old brake disc. I straightened the heat shield out so it had 1/4" gap instead of a .00001" gap . I now have new brakes all around and no noises.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Load shedding / overheat
My sister was involved in an accident on the freeway. While waiting for her I was parked on the side of the freeway with the ac running in 115 degree heat. After being parked 45 minutes my ac shut off on it's own. At the same time I also noticed the temp gauge was one tick above normal. The ice engine was actually off at the time. It was running off the hybrid battery. I think a combination of the ice engine being heat soaked and the heat from the fire truck parked next to me was a bit too much heat for the LS600 to deal with. I shut off the LS and restarted it. The firetruck departed a few minutes later and we drove away with no problems.

Afterword I did check coolant levels. They were full and I haven't had to add any. Living on the surface of the sun is a bit much sometimes.

In an attempt to increase the ac system efficiency I pulled a vacuum on the ac for a half hour and recharged it. It was much colder for a week. Instead of the blower on high we had it on the lowest setting. It most likely has a slight leak at the ac schrader valves. I ordered some new schrader valves to put in. It'll probably be a month before I get around to redoing the system again.

I hauled a few tons of gravel with it today. She held up better than I did.

Last edited by miket000; 08-14-21 at 06:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by miket000:
BlazeViper (08-15-21), myw (10-25-21)
Old 08-16-21, 04:54 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Wow, it has been so long since the last post I had forgotten about this epic thread. Glad to hear it has been a success story for you.

BTW, when you say "The steering has a loose feeling after a u turn while accelerating.", who exactly are you running from?
Old 08-16-21, 06:07 PM
miket000
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Wow, it has been so long since the last post I had forgotten about this epic thread. Glad to hear it has been a success story for you.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
BTW, when you say "The steering has a loose feeling after a u turn while accelerating.", who exactly are you running from?
Haha, I admit when I'm not towing I drive it like I stole it.

Last edited by miket000; 08-16-21 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-18-21, 07:36 AM
BlazeViper
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Having driven an ancient Toyota 4 popper, I can't wait to drive mine. I can't believe the amount of man hours you've poured into this thing. It's looking good! My old GS didn't blow very cold either.
Old 08-18-21, 08:50 AM
miket000
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlazeViper
Having driven an ancient Toyota 4 popper, I can't wait to drive mine.
You'll enjoy it. At least while yours sits there is no hybrid battery to degrade.

My old GS didn't blow very cold either.
I have a friend who is an auto mechanic. He said after about 80k miles it's very common for the ac schrader valves to leak a bit.

I can't believe the amount of man hours you've poured into this thing. It's looking good!
Thanks. The gold color is still not my thing. I have plans to paint (spray) a seadoo this winter and help my buddy spray his truck. Hopefully they build my confidence level up a bit. I painted an es300 years ago, it turned out decent but nothing like an original paint job. I don't want to spray it white or silver only to have the finish look so so.
The following users liked this post:
BlazeViper (08-18-21)
Old 08-18-21, 02:14 PM
BlazeViper
Intermediate

That must make me the only weirdo who likes it. You don't really see this kind of paint on the road often. I'm gonna sound cliche here but it's a pretty rare color!

Though admittedly if money was no object, I'd have the Sonic Silver or Black Sapphire pearl.
miket000 (08-18-21)
Old 10-02-21, 02:50 PM
miket000
Instructor

I swapped out my transmission mounts recently. I jammed a jack stand and 2x6 under the tranny pan. Then I removed all 5 of the transmission mount bolts that go up through the transmission cradle.

Someone posted in another thread the exhausts needed to be removed. Fortunately this is not the case.
The only exhaust bolts I had to remove were on the left front. Once those 2 bolts were out the exhaust had enough play to access the transmission cradle bolts on the left side. The cradle bolts on the right side are accessible without moving the right exhaust. With the cradle unbolted from the car it dropped down about 1" onto the exhausts. That 1" of clearance was just enough to swap out all of the mounts. The cradle itself won't come out unless you fully remove one or perhaps both of the exhaust tubes. I'm happy that wasn't required.

2 of my mounts were completely busted in half. The center mount had considerable wear.

It was pretty obvious they were in need of replacing.

These 2 front left exhaust bolts are the only ones to remove. I did later jam a screw driver in one of the holes to force it over another half inch.

New mounts are slid in place.

Bottom view of the cradle.

Top new, bottom old

It was was time for new ones.
Dave144239 (10-02-21)
Old 10-02-21, 04:56 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

I should replace my transmission mounts as well. How much did you pay for the set?
Old 10-02-21, 05:38 PM
miket000
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anfanger
I should replace my transmission mounts as well. How much did you pay for the set?
It has been awhile since I ordered them. I'd guess $150. I contemplated not purchasing the upper portion of the center mount. I couldn't tell in the pictures if it was steel or included rubber. I remember it costing another $50 or so. Turns out it is a combination of steel and rubber. This was the only part that wasn't worn. The rubber was still in good shape.

I circled the one that can likely be reused.

Last edited by miket000; 10-02-21 at 05:42 PM.
Anfanger (10-02-21)
Old 10-02-21, 05:56 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

Good work. Does it feel different at idle or otherwise with the new mounts?
Old 10-02-21, 06:40 PM
BlazeViper
Intermediate

How much do you think the mounts had on them? Or how many miles can you go before changing?
Old 10-02-21, 09:54 PM
miket000
Instructor

Originally Posted by AZGS4
Good work. Does it feel different at idle or otherwise with the new mounts?
When parked there was a startling vibration ( think shake the entire car) when the ice engine would kick on to charge the hybrid battery. It's a lot better now, just a subtle vibration for a second.
At 80mph there have been some vibrations too. I haven't had it up that fast with the new mounts. Otherwise 70 and below it drives pretty much the same.

How much do you think the mounts had on them? Or how many miles can you go before changing?
They were likely the original mounts, so 196k miles. Considering they are easy and relatively cheap to replace I think 125k-150k would be a good mileage to replace them at.
BlazeViper (10-26-21)
Old 10-25-21, 07:29 PM
myw
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this thread is incredible.

your skillset + work ethnic are second to none. just wow.

imo the color looks good as is.... dr color chip to fix up the chips + a paint correction (including headlamp/taillamp polish) polish can have this car looking next to brand new.

pls keep the updates.
miket000 (10-26-21)
Old 10-26-21, 05:25 AM
BlazeViper
Intermediate

I think it's the LS curse, the more you drive them, the more you love them, and miket loves them... A lot
miket000 (10-26-21)
Old 10-26-21, 08:08 AM
miket000
Instructor

Originally Posted by myw
this thread is incredible.

your skillset + work ethnic are second to none. just wow.

pls keep the updates.
Such a nice thing to say, thank you. I'll post more in the next few days.

I recently had some interior b pillar panels recovered. They look like new. Plus my upper arms and new bushings were delivered yesterday. My air strut pump seems to be kicking on more lately. I should get around to replacing the rear air struts before one drops. They don't look as easy to replace as the fronts so I've been putting it off until it's cooler outside.

Quick Reply: Project LS600HL for cheap