LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Overfilled motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-21, 08:31 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Overfilled motor oil

Hi all,

last week I did my very first oil change. I lifted the front of the car on jack stands and drained the oil.

I filled it back up with 9.5 quarts (my bad, should’ve only done 9 as there may have been some leftover that didn’t fully drain maybe?) anyway I read the dipstick and it’s past the full mark. It’s about 2 centimeters above the full. I read it while the car was cold as I didn’t drive it around yet. Is that ok? I bought the Kirkland brand full synthetic 0w-20 (2 big jugs of 5 quart each).

do I need to drain? I read another post that said I don’t need to, but want to confirm as I’m super paranoid. I know when I read the dipstick, it’s not an inch overfilled, more like 2-3cm.
Old 01-24-21, 08:54 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Allusuc
Hi all,

do I need to drain? I read another post that said I don’t need to, but want to confirm as I’m super paranoid. I know when I read the dipstick, it’s not an inch overfilled, more like 2-3cm.
one inch is 2.54cm. Do you mean mm? If it’s like 3mm overfilled that’s nothing. If it’s 2-3cm over the mark I’d drain some out
The following users liked this post:
davidcvigi (01-29-21)
Old 01-24-21, 09:08 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sdls
one inch is 2.54cm. Do you mean mm? If it’s like 3mm overfilled that’s nothing. If it’s 2-3cm over the mark I’d drain some out

lol ok so uhhh if I’m looking at the dipstick ... and measuring the distance between low and full... take that amount and add about 1/4 so uhh maybe 1.5cm over the full line. It’s for sure not an inch haha.
Old 01-24-21, 11:15 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

"I read it while the car was cold as I didn’t drive it around yet. Is that ok?"
If you didn't start the car, the oil filter didn't fill up with the new oil yet. Start the car and let it warm up a few minutes, turn it off and after 5 minutes, check it again.

Old 01-25-21, 04:14 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Hi all,

last week I did my very first oil change. I lifted the front of the car on jack stands and drained the oil.

I filled it back up with 9.5 quarts (my bad, should’ve only done 9 as there may have been some leftover that didn’t fully drain maybe?) anyway I read the dipstick and it’s past the full mark. It’s about 2 centimeters above the full. I read it while the car was cold as I didn’t drive it around yet. Is that ok? I bought the Kirkland brand full synthetic 0w-20 (2 big jugs of 5 quart each).

I have only done an oil & filter change twice since owning mine, and both times I refilled with about 9 quarts of oil. According to the owner's manual, the system capacity with oil & filter change is 9.1 quarts, and "It takes about 1.6 qt. to raise the oil level from low to full on the dipstick." If I had done what you stated, I would definitely drain at least a 1/2 quart of oil, then start the car up and let it run until the temperature gauge gets up about half way, then shut her down and wait about 7-10 minutes before checking the oil level.
Old 01-25-21, 05:54 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

I would not worry about the extra oil. I regularly put about that amount in during oil changed since I know the engine burns oil when driven at higher speeds regularly.
YMMV
Old 01-25-21, 06:02 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
I would not worry about the extra oil. I regularly put about that amount in during oil changed since I know the engine burns oil when driven at higher speeds regularly.
YMMV
I am sorry but it is a terrible advice. If you get foaming of engine oil due to too much of it, you will regret the decision. And if your engine has some miles on it, some seals might allow some oil through internally and externally. Leaks into combustion chambers will cause spark and catalytic converter problems.

Last edited by Anfanger; 01-25-21 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-25-21, 08:22 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Anfanger
I am sorry but it is a terrible advice. If you get foaming of engine oil due to too much of it, you will regret the decision. And if your engine has some miles on it, some seals might allow some oil through internally and externally. Leaks into combustion chambers will cause spark and catalytic converter problems.

I attached a picture. It’s sooo hard to tell. Is this full? Or over? I put in a total of 9.5 quarts. Just checked haha. Started the car. Let it warm up 10 min. Turned it off. Checked it 5 min after shutting it off.
you see how there’s a small tiny trail of oil above the full?

Old 01-25-21, 08:27 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

Hard to tell from that picture. Clean it and dip again and try to hold at an angle for the picture so we can see the line better.
Old 01-25-21, 08:29 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

My personal opinion is fill up to the maximum mark. Some people prefer to go over some don't. I would rather stick to recommend practices than experiment and pay for it later.
Old 01-25-21, 08:34 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Anfanger
My personal opinion is fill up to the maximum mark. Some people prefer to go over some don't. I would rather stick to recommend practices than experiment and pay for it later.

just checked again. Literally right now. The car has been off for 25 min now... looks perfect yeah?

Old 01-25-21, 08:36 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Yes, it looks good to me. Recheck tomorrow morning before starting the car.
Old 01-25-21, 08:44 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

just checked again. Literally right now. The car has been off for 25 min now... looks perfect yeah?
C'mon man, didn't you tell us you are the frugal one? Now go get that 1/2 quart back !
Seriously though, in that last pic it looks spot on.
Old 01-25-21, 08:49 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lwphat66
C'mon man, didn't you tell us you are the frugal one? Now go get that 1/2 quart back !
Seriously though, in that last pic it looks spot on.
thanks. Man it’s hard to take pics of the dipstick because camera kept focusing on the floor rather than the dipstick lol. Blah!!

Thanks for everyone’s help! Love this forum lol. It’s a goldmine for LS460 information lol
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (01-25-21)
Old 01-25-21, 09:17 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

It’s fine

Quick Reply: Overfilled motor oil