LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What are your guys thoughts on driving in snow in your LS

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-21, 08:59 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
Well I was on the road like 3 am so the snow was coming down hard and it's cold so that made it even worse. There were a couple of inches and the car was sliding a little so I had to slow it down. Snow mode helped but maybe it has something to do with my shocks being stuck on stiff for the time being. I have something going on with the right front actuator. I already ordered 2 front shocks from triple creations in Japan but I looked at the harness on the actuator and it looks like 2 of the wires are damaged. The actuator is good since I checked it's ohms.
have you tried manually setting the firmness for now?
Old 02-01-21, 09:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Well I was on the road like 3 am so the snow was coming down hard and it's cold so that made it even worse. There were a couple of inches and the car was sliding a little so I had to slow it down. Snow mode helped but maybe it has something to do with my shocks being stuck on stiff for the time being. I have something going on with the right front actuator. I already ordered 2 front shocks from triple creations in Japan but I looked at the harness on the actuator and it looks like 2 of the wires are damaged. The actuator is good since I checked it's ohms.
How cold was it? That makes a big difference because of tire rubber etc. Snow mode just starts it in second gear
Old 02-01-21, 09:38 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
How cold was it? That makes a big difference because of tire rubber etc. Snow mode just starts it in second gear
It's funny because all the OUTDATED features the car has I never really use any of them. It was like 20 something degrees then add the wind chill so your guess is as good as mine on the temp. I can't blame it on the tires either since snow is their weak point even if they are decent. Once on plowed roads where the snow was not built up they did a little better but I have not had that feeling of borderline dread while driving in a long time. The plows can't even keep up with the snow. I think it's just a combination of snow, cold and high winds.

Last edited by sha4000; 02-01-21 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-01-21, 09:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The issue with temps are allseason tires. When it gets real cold the rubber gets real hard and you just don't have any grip. True winter tires have a much lower threshhold for that sort of hardening (like, way below 0). Thats why All Season tires with the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol (like the CrossClimates) aren't a replacement for real winter tires.

As an example when I had my 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokees, they were obviously great in the snow. However, we left Albany NY one time in a snowstorm to drive home, and it was 5 degrees F. Well, we slid around all over the place because of the extremely low temps, the tires just had no grip.

You were likely experiencing some of that in the low 20s. My experience driving the RWD one in the snow temps were 30ish.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
rickup11 (02-02-21), TRS (02-03-21)
Old 02-01-21, 02:07 PM
roshko
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I have The P7s in my car which is RWD and it was no fun driving in the snow this morning. Even with the car in snow more which helped some I was related to 20-40 mph on the interstate. I have driven my 400 in snow and never felt the need to have snow tires before. How fast are you guys driving in the snow? Maybe I'm just being dumb but I'm used to driving 80+ on any other day so that 20mph was guy wrenching lol. I didn't feel the need to push it and I even got up to 50 mph in some areas once I was closer to NYC. I'm not looking forward to my commute home this afternoon.
Speed is a very big factor. I have a lot of experience driving in snow up in Vermont, and even in my Volvo with a great AWD system, brand new snow tires, I wouldn't go above 50-60 on the highway when its covered. Temp does make a huge difference. Driving in snow around 30s compared to single digits is a noticeable difference.
Old 02-01-21, 04:08 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

I've never had snow tires on my RWD LS and have always gotten along well. Admittedly I don't go out in very deep snow before the snow plows, but I've driven in snow for over 5 decades so I have experience in how to handle a car.

No question snow tires are preferable. Over the years my wife had a RWD Infiniti J30t and a Jaguar S-Type. I always put snow tires on her cars.
Old 02-01-21, 04:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There are also differences in what type of winter weather you are driving in. For instance, yesterday in the snow my S560 was great. Its been icing here all day and is now snowing, I just ran out to Lowes to grab something (its like 2 minutes from my house, never need to get over 15 MPH). It is HORRIBLE out there tonight. Snow and slush on top of a layer of ice, trecherous. No car is going to handle that type of road surface well. I went to turn right into the parking lot, going maybe 3 MPH and plowed forward, luckily nothing was there. Its the kind of surface out there tonight where your car will just slide down a hill from being stopped.
Old 02-01-21, 04:26 PM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Today's weather in NYC is tough for any low vehicle on the secondary and tertiary roads, snow is piled too high. Tires don't help if you are high centered. Lot of fun though, sliding around sideways at single digit speeds.
The following users liked this post:
Dolph1 (01-07-24)
Old 02-01-21, 04:47 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

There are also differences in what type of winter weather you are driving in. For instance, yesterday in the snow my S560 was great. Its been icing here all day and is now snowing, I just ran out to Lowes to grab something (its like 2 minutes from my house, never need to get over 15 MPH). It is HORRIBLE out there tonight. Snow and slush on top of a layer of ice, trecherous. No car is going to handle that type of road surface well. I went to turn right into the parking lot, going maybe 3 MPH and plowed forward, luckily nothing was there. Its the kind of surface out there tonight where your car will just slide down a hill from being stopped.
Thats the road condition I encountered a few days ago. I’m telling you, these CrossClimate2 tires are no joke. I only need to mention them 31 more times in order to receive a $2.00 gift card.
Old 02-01-21, 04:51 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

The issue with temps are allseason tires. When it gets real cold the rubber gets real hard and you just don't have any grip. True winter tires have a much lower threshhold for that sort of hardening (like, way below 0). Thats why All Season tires with the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol (like the CrossClimates) aren't a replacement for real winter tires.

As an example when I had my 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokees, they were obviously great in the snow. However, we left Albany NY one time in a snowstorm to drive home, and it was 5 degrees F. Well, we slid around all over the place because of the extremely low temps, the tires just had no grip.

You were likely experiencing some of that in the low 20s. My experience driving the RWD one in the snow temps were 30ish.
I believe you are correct, the car did a lot better this afternoon in the light of day. I could now see the deep pockets and avoid them whereas it was dark out this morning and I was basically following tail lights. The tire pressure never changed because of the cold, I started out with 32 psi and it stayed that way for 2 hours.

Originally Posted by roshko
Speed is a very big factor. I have a lot of experience driving in snow up in Vermont, and even in my Volvo with a great AWD system, brand new snow tires, I wouldn't go above 50-60 on the highway when its covered. Temp does make a huge difference. Driving in snow around 30s compared to single digits is a noticeable difference.
Yeah I also adjusted my speed to the present condition. It's REAL up there in Vermont, I used to make lots of trips to Burlington in my 400. That snow was no joke.

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I've never had snow tires on my RWD LS and have always gotten along well. Admittedly I don't go out in very deep snow before the snow plows, but I've driven in snow for over 5 decades so I have experience in how to handle a car.

No question snow tires are preferable. Over the years my wife had a RWD Infiniti J30t and a Jaguar S-Type. I always put snow tires on her cars.
I've never had snow tires in 30+ years of driving with 25 of those driving an LS. I've always managed and made sure to keep some wood in the trunk.

It makes me feel a lil better knowing your 560 was not up to the challenge either.

Originally Posted by Vtallysx4
Today's weather in NYC is tough for any low vehicle on the secondary and tertiary roads, snow is piled too high. Tires don't help if you are high centered. Lot of fun though, sliding around sideways at single digit speeds.
The city was treacherous. Visibility was like 20 feet.
Old 02-01-21, 05:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It makes me feel a lil better knowing your 560 was not up to the challenge either.
Yeah not tonight!
Old 02-01-21, 05:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdls
Thats the road condition I encountered a few days ago. I’m telling you, these CrossClimate2 tires are no joke. I only need to mention them 31 more times in order to receive a $2.00 gift card.
They aren't going to help you much in the type of conditions that are out there tonight.
Old 02-01-21, 05:16 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

They aren't going to help you much in the type of conditions that are out there tonight.
You’re not making me feel better about my purchase, man. I want to put that tread pattern on my slippers.
but seriously, it was rain that turned into snow as part of the winter storm that’s now come to the east coast. It was about 30 degrees. I’m sure that sheet ice really needs Hakkapellittas or studs.

Last edited by sdls; 02-01-21 at 05:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (02-01-21)
Old 02-01-21, 05:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdls
You’re not making me feel better about my purchase, man. I want to put that tread pattern on my slippers.
but seriously, it was rain that turned into snow as part of the winter storm that’s now come to the east coast. It was about 30 degrees. I’m sure that sheet ice really needs Hakkapellittas or studs.
Totally, thats what you would need.
Old 02-01-21, 05:38 PM
roshko
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I believe you are correct, the car did a lot better this afternoon in the light of day. I could now see the deep pockets and avoid them whereas it was dark out this morning and I was basically following tail lights. The tire pressure never changed because of the cold, I started out with 32 psi and it stayed that way for 2 hours.

Yeah I also adjusted my speed to the present condition. It's REAL up there in Vermont, I used to make lots of trips to Burlington in my 400. That snow was no joke.

I've never had snow tires in 30+ years of driving with 25 of those driving an LS. I've always managed and made sure to keep some wood in the trunk.

The city was treacherous. Visibility was like 20 feet.
Having owned an LS400, I would never even think of taking it up to my cabin. Even with snow tires, I wouldn't feel that confident in the mountains. Even with snow tires on my 460 I think id prefer my Volvo over it.

Quick Reply: What are your guys thoughts on driving in snow in your LS