LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Oops I think I broke my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-21, 05:45 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
If I remember right you had some pretty significant engine work done a few months ago. Take it back to them. They messed it up. This issue is unheard of on these cars. Your oil looks fresh. Spinning tires in the snow does not do this--you did nothing wrong. Good luck.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/04/us/ne...rnd/index.html
Old 02-12-21, 06:00 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

So you're thinking the man in this article had motor work done by the same shop? LOL
Seriously tho', this story is the very first thing that came to mind when I started reading this thread.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (02-12-21)
Old 02-12-21, 06:06 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 874 Likes on 646 Posts

That is a terrible death, I wounder what was the cause of fire.
Old 02-12-21, 06:24 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by tx170754
Keep in mind he is in Ukraine, labor cost are probably very low there and, besides that, getting an, even used, engine there could be a problem except probably looking at a scrap yard in Germany...
not a huge problems lots of LS here but for what it might be worse off than mine so that’s why we gotta see
Old 02-12-21, 06:28 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Anfanger
That is a terrible death, I wounder what was the cause of fire.
scary **** he must have died when it popped if not why did he not exit makes no sense... crazy so many ways you can try to get away if you could
DavidinCT (02-12-21)
Old 02-12-21, 06:04 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by lwphat66
So you're thinking the man in this article had motor work done by the same shop? LOL
Seriously tho', this story is the very first thing that came to mind when I started reading this thread.
An extreme case but ut was my first thought while reading this thread too.
That is a terrible death, I wonder what was the cause of fire.
I was wondering what caused the fire too but we'll probably never know.
Old 02-12-21, 08:33 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 148 Posts

Unless Lexus line bores the block to fit the crank most main bearing holes are off a tiny bit.

So most factories use different main bearing shells in each postition to compensate for the holes not being inline

Plus one for an example on a top side and minus 1 on the corresponding bottom side.

as you have experienced an issue with a locally rebuilt engine I would cut my losses and source a good oem motor or another car myself.

Very hard to duplicate Lexus oem assembly in tahara anywhere else,

Old 02-12-21, 08:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
Very hard to duplicate Lexus oem assembly in tahara anywhere else,
Yes, in fact I'd argue it's not possible except maybe for the most accomplished and experienced engine builders. But even then do they have the same tools as Lexus? I highly doubt it.
Old 02-13-21, 03:27 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

I keep reading...”the devil you know” to justify keeping this engine and doing these repairs. To me, the devil I’m hearing about in this engine is nothing I want to stay with...blown engine, reved high, previous engine repairs, multiple owners. No thanks. Get another engine.

Most people that own as LS baby them, you have an excellent chance of getting another engine that is in better shape/overall condition than the one you own.

Lower end main bearing replacement is MAJOR SURGERY. Engine removal, tear down, replacement parts, measuring, assembly, torquing...if one little step or component is installed even the slightest bit wrong, it’s game over, rebuild again. And I certainly would replace the piston rings or pistons all together while I’m in there. Low tension rings...if I’m going into that engine at whatever mileage you have to rebuild a bottom end, I’m definitely replacing those pistons while I’m there...because with low tension rings and high mileage, you’re going to start running into oil consumption. Fix that while you’re in there. That’s why I’d find a low mileage motor and bight the bullet and put it in.
The following 3 users liked this post by Doublebase:
Benjam1n (02-13-21), fwhomeboy (02-13-21), Outofspec (02-13-21)
Old 02-13-21, 05:19 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

If it is just crankshaft bearings, there is no need to remove the engine. You can support the engine with a hoist and remove the lower cross member. It will give you access to the crankshaft pan, removing which will give access to all crankshaft bearings.
Old 02-13-21, 06:04 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Yes, in fact I'd argue it's not possible except maybe for the most accomplished and experienced engine builders. But even then do they have the same tools as Lexus? I highly doubt it.
exactly. The average engine shop has nothing on the engine facilities that Toyota uses to make LS motors. I heard that they spent thousands of dollars to construct the state of the art the engine facility, and that the workers take mandatory breaks to do activities like putting golf ***** in their mouths in order to avoid repetitive stress injuries (RSIs).
Old 02-13-21, 06:26 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

If it is just crankshaft bearings, there is no need to remove the engine. You can support the engine with a hoist and remove the lower cross member. It will give you access to the crankshaft pan, removing which will give access to all crankshaft bearings.
Are you saying that you would approach this situation with the thought of just installing new bearings and just hope that solves his problems?
Old 02-13-21, 07:23 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I keep reading...”the devil you know” to justify keeping this engine and doing these repairs. To me, the devil I’m hearing about in this engine is nothing I want to stay with...blown engine, reved high, previous engine repairs, multiple owners. No thanks. Get another engine.

Most people that own as LS baby them, you have an excellent chance of getting another engine that is in better shape/overall condition than the one you own.

Lower end main bearing replacement is MAJOR SURGERY. Engine removal, tear down, replacement parts, measuring, assembly, torquing...if one little step or component is installed even the slightest bit wrong, it’s game over, rebuild again. And I certainly would replace the piston rings or pistons all together while I’m in there. Low tension rings...if I’m going into that engine at whatever mileage you have to rebuild a bottom end, I’m definitely replacing those pistons while I’m there...because with low tension rings and high mileage, you’re going to start running into oil consumption. Fix that while you’re in there. That’s why I’d find a low mileage motor and bight the bullet and put it in.
where did you get multiple Owners from? I’m the 2nd

I’m not paying 4000 bucks in total to fix a car that can fetch maybe 12 here. The first engine take apart was not my doing, it was this idiot Lexus dealer in this city, I never went back to them after that. This possibly is caused by them too. So let’s see either way if I want to get rid of the car, I’d have to fix it so let’s fix it, gonna cost me maybe 1-1.5k in total right now.

what are low tension rings, I know there are piston rings are there high and low tension rings ?

hfahmy (02-13-21)
Old 02-13-21, 07:58 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
Are you saying that you would approach this situation with the thought of just installing new bearings and just hope that solves his problems?
The journals need to be measured to explicitly answer that. If the wear is within allowed range, he will get away with just bearings. We will have to wait and see what his mechanic finds.
Old 02-13-21, 08:14 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

The journals need to be measured to explicitly answer that. If the wear is within allowed range, he will get away with just bearings. We will have to wait and see what his mechanic finds.
ok. Let's hope for the best.

Quick Reply: Oops I think I broke my car