LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Oops I think I broke my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-21, 08:08 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

It has been a longggggggg ride .. finally the new engine is being put in and should be done today. Engine was purchased from a neighbouring country... couldn’t find anyone there to test it due to only 10fay warranty spent quite a big sum of money having it tested before it crosses the border, compression was good. They valve covers have coke off charging all the rubber bits have a look super clean

The following 2 users liked this post by jdanielca:
Anfanger (05-28-21), miket000 (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 08:28 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

Thanks for posting the pictures. The new engine looks clean. Good luck, I hope it runs well.
Old 05-27-21, 10:22 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

What’s gone into this repair:

1x used engine supposedly around 60-70,000km + bonus transmission 3 x 5w40 Valvoline Blue Extreme

2 x Valvoline ATF Transmission Fluid

2 x Redline 75W90 Redline Differential Fluid

2 x Bosch Engine Air filter

2 x Bosch Engine Oil Filter

2 x Valve cover gaskets

2 x intake manifold gaskets

2 x exhaust manifold gaskets

1 x water pump gasket

8 x spark plug tube seals

8 x spark plugs
1 x throttle body gasket
1 x PCV valve
toyota long life coolant
transmission pan gasket and filter

i will try to sell my transmission and a whole bunch of other parts I now have left over.
Old 05-28-21, 04:36 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 874 Likes on 646 Posts

Congrats with a new to you engine! It looks clean inside. Check the spark plugs, they should look clean. I would recommend to go with OEM transmission fluid.
Old 05-28-21, 09:01 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Anfanger
Congrats with a new to you engine! It looks clean inside. Check the spark plugs, they should look clean. I would recommend to go with OEM transmission fluid.
everything I’ve chosen has been thoughtfully chosen, Toyota fluids are not as resistant to heat and valvoline is suitable anyways but thanks for looking out
Old 05-28-21, 01:09 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Just drove it , in process of cleaning interior, smooth as butter
Old 05-28-21, 09:44 PM
rickup11
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you give me a backstory on why it needed an engine replacement?

I've looked at replacement trans and motors, and WOW, they are dirt cheap. Definitely a testament to drivetrain reliability in the LS460. Did you have to get it in the US because you couldn't find any in Ontario? How much was it and how much was shipping? Looks like a pretty easy drivetrain replacement. Front bumper comes off along with rad supports, then undo the subframe, and the whole motor and trans slide forwards?
Old 07-27-21, 04:35 AM
ausLX
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
an engine from Japan is the only answer
At current exchange rates that will cost you approximately $13246.20

Old 07-27-21, 04:42 AM
ausLX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jdanielca
What’s gone into this repair:

1x used engine supposedly around 60-70,000km + bonus transmission 3 x 5w40 Valvoline Blue Extreme

2 x Valvoline ATF Transmission Fluid

2 x Redline 75W90 Redline Differential Fluid

2 x Bosch Engine Air filter

2 x Bosch Engine Oil Filter

2 x Valve cover gaskets

2 x intake manifold gaskets

2 x exhaust manifold gaskets

1 x water pump gasket

8 x spark plug tube seals

8 x spark plugs
1 x throttle body gasket
1 x PCV valve
toyota long life coolant
transmission pan gasket and filter

i will try to sell my transmission and a whole bunch of other parts I now have left over.
Why did you change all those gaskets?
Old 07-27-21, 12:52 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ausLX
Why did you change all those gaskets?
might as well since the engine was sitting for who knows how long and since it’s easy access why not just deal with it now and never have to deal with it anytime soon. Also to make sure we don’t have fuel pump oil leaks, water pump leaks etc

Last edited by jdanielca; 07-28-21 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-27-21, 07:04 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

You found out the Lexus secret to the quietest, smoothest V8. The bearings are selective to create optimal oil clearances by position. The center mains require more clearance than the ends due to the way the cylinder block distorts when it warms up. The block machining step that creates the crankshaft bore (line bore) is done at room temperature, but the block spends almost zero time at room temperature while running. The mains move out of coaxiality as the block warms to operating temperature, requiring more clearance on the mains towards the center of the engine.
Old 07-28-21, 03:05 AM
ausLX
Pit Crew

might as well since the engine was sitting for who knows how long and since it’s easy access why not just deal with it now and never hare to deal with it anytime soon. Also to make sure we don’t have fuel pump oil leaks, water pump leaks etc
Makes sense. I'm probably going to have an engine swap done real soon, so this thread is of great interest to me. How come you didn't replace any of the accessories such as water pump? Did you just swap all that over from your old engine onto the new.
Old 07-28-21, 08:17 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tec80
You found out the Lexus secret to the quietest, smoothest V8. The bearings are selective to create optimal oil clearances by position. The center mains require more clearance than the ends due to the way the cylinder block distorts when it warms up. The block machining step that creates the crankshaft bore (line bore) is done at room temperature, but the block spends almost zero time at room temperature while running. The mains move out of coaxiality as the block warms to operating temperature, requiring more clearance on the mains towards the center of the engine.

hmmm and that means what in relation to my opinion for example that 0w20 is unsuitable for use in this vehicle especially one that is made in 2007 for example and experiences less than ideal driving conditions
Old 07-28-21, 08:20 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ausLX
Makes sense. I'm probably going to have an engine swap done real soon, so this thread is of great interest to me. How come you didn't replace any of the accessories such as water pump? Did you just swap all that over from your old engine onto the new.
the engine came with everything complete with transmission just put it in. Since the “new” one was in good condition and low miles and I didn’t want to over do it by throwing all sorts of things at it or else the bill will get crazy… also labour here is cheap enough to leave it till there’s a problem it’s easy enough to get to
The following users liked this post:
ausLX (07-29-21)
Old 07-29-21, 03:29 AM
ausLX
Pit Crew

the engine came with everything complete with transmission just put it in. Since the “new” one was in good condition and low miles and I didn’t want to over do it by throwing all sorts of things at it or else the bill will get crazy… also labour here is cheap enough to leave it till there’s a problem it’s easy enough to get to
I thought that might be what you did. Today I paid for an engine that I'm told has only 28,580 miles on it, so hopefully everything attached to it is in "hardly used" condition and I don't need to pay for a bunch of accessories.

Quick Reply: Oops I think I broke my car