LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

No Heat at idle in Cabin

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 04:38 PM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

norviewguy, I just had the same problem with my 07 just recently, no heat at idle and intermittent above

turned out my heater "core" needed to be burped, my mechanic said the antifreeze flows from the radiator to the heating unit
and the flow of heat to the interior was blocked, I don't know enough to tell you exactly what he did to fix the heat problem
but it was a minor fix and did not cost too much
Old 02-14-21, 05:32 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by colfax
norviewguy, I just had the same problem with my 07 just recently, no heat at idle and intermittent above

turned out my heater "core" needed to be burped, my mechanic said the antifreeze flows from the radiator to the heating unit
and the flow of heat to the interior was blocked, I don't know enough to tell you exactly what he did to fix the heat problem
He probably just back flushed the core. I had to do this for 2 winters to get heat on the driver's side of the cabin but I ultimately had to change my heater core. This is the worst case scenario so make sure it's the problem before you go that route.
Old 02-14-21, 06:02 PM
norviewguy
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
He probably just back flushed the core. I had to do this for 2 winters to get heat on the driver's side of the cabin but I ultimately had to change my heater core. This is the worst case scenario so make sure it's the problem before you go that route.
How hard was it to reach the inlet and outlet of the heater core?
Old 02-15-21, 05:05 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by norviewguy
How hard was it to reach the inlet and outlet of the heater core?
Not hard at all. Remove the center silver cover and the 2 hoses are on the passenger side firewall. The hoses are most likely on there right even when you remove the clamps so I would spray it down with lubricant and twist them back and forth to loosen them up. I bought some clear hoses I think it was 3/4 inch and one of those transfer pumps from harbor freight that attach to the battery. I filled 1 bucket with water and CLR to pump thru the core and had the exit Hose in another bucket so I could see what was coming out.

Last edited by sha4000; 02-15-21 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-15-21, 06:01 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by norviewguy
Also read that TYC was OE can anyone confirm?
no, no, no, no.
Old 02-15-21, 01:35 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi:

Had this issue with my 2010. Took it to an independent I have used since I bought the car. It was a gasket at the top of the engine.

This was the total bill. I did have an extended warranty policy ( not Lexus) and that helped, but didn’t pay the total bill because of some BS about not taking in to consideration the additional parts and labor to remove/replace to repair the main issue. Just be aware when you by an extended warranty, they have ways of getting out of paying.
Old 02-15-21, 02:04 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

That is a high bill. I am glad, I did it myself. I had to replace many harness connectors too. Some of connectors have release latches broken off.

I do not understand why manifold gasket has a separate charge from the valley plate. You have to remove the manifold to fix the valley plate leak. It seems to me as a double charge.

Last edited by Anfanger; 02-16-21 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-15-21, 02:17 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfanger
That is a high bill. I am glad, I did it myself. I had to replace many harness connectors too. Some of connectors have release latches broken off after.

I do not understand why manifold gasket has a separate charge from the valley plate. You have to remove the manifold to fix the valley plate leak. It seems to me as a double charge.
Hi:
I’m not sure about the charges, quite frankly, unless it is changing the oil, which I can’t do anymore, I really don’t know much about repairing engines, so I have to trust my mechanic. I know if I’d taken it to Lexus, it would have been a whole lot more.

Thanks for your info. I will ask him about it next time I take it in though. Just to satisfy my curiosity.
Old 02-15-21, 02:32 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubbylex
Hi:
I’m not sure about the charges, quite frankly, unless it is changing the oil, which I can’t do anymore, I really don’t know much about repairing engines, so I have to trust my mechanic. I know if I’d taken it to Lexus, it would have been a whole lot more.

Thanks for your info. I will ask him about it next time I take it in though. Just to satisfy my curiosity.
Yes, any Lexus dealer will charge you more. I am glad you have a mechanic you like and trust.
Old 02-16-21, 04:31 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

I would not trust that mechanic. He definitely double billed you for the same work. Like he said, they HAVE to remove the intake manifold to seal the valley plate. They might be good mechanics but they are NOT trusted mechanics IMO. Most ppl like you and I'm not being disrespectful are just happy to get the work done for cheaper, especially when the dealer REALLY quotes some outrageous price for the same work. There's no way I would have paid that portion of the bill.
Old 02-16-21, 04:49 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by colfax

I had the same issue. Radiator needed to be burped. Was very easy to do and took me about 20 min. Air trapped in the cooling system is common and the bleeder screw on the top of these radiators is just for that.
Old 02-20-21, 06:31 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Definitely the radiator. Don’t know where the hole is but I think this explains everything.

Question is what do I do now to pull this thing. 😳

Nevermind found a vid. Anyone that may need it here you go.

Last edited by norviewguy; 02-20-21 at 06:51 AM.