LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS 460 won't start with new battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-21, 07:44 PM
jandrews7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 LS 460 won't start with new battery

A week ago I tried to start my car and it wouldn't start (it had just been like -5 degrees fahrenheit and I park outside) I had driven it less than 24 hours before then during this week when it has been a little warmer I have gone out to try to jump it and it wouldn't jumpstart. So tonight it was finally around freezing and somewhat bearable outside so I went and got a new battery and installed it and it still won't start when i push the button it clicks and just doesn't start. I do have a Fixd OBD reader and it id not coming up with any faults now but it just won't start.

If you have any ideas of anything that has worked or that might work I am willing to try because otherwize Lexus will have to tow it to the dealership.

thanks in advance

This is what appears on the dash when I try to turn it on with my foot on the break none of these lights were on when I drove it last
Old 02-19-21, 08:00 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

You probably need a new starter. It will probably start fine when the weather gets milder, but if you need it in any weather you will need your starter replaced
Old 02-19-21, 08:01 PM
jandrews7
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice
Old 02-19-21, 08:15 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by jandrews7
A week ago I tried to start my car and it wouldn't start (it had just been like -5 degrees fahrenheit and I park outside) I had driven it less than 24 hours before then during this week when it has been a little warmer I have gone out to try to jump it and it wouldn't jumpstart. So tonight it was finally around freezing and somewhat bearable outside so I went and got a new battery and installed it and it still won't start when i push the button it clicks and just doesn't start. I do have a Fixd OBD reader and it id not coming up with any faults now but it just won't start.

If you have any ideas of anything that has worked or that might work I am willing to try because otherwize Lexus will have to tow it to the dealership.

thanks in advance

This is what appears on the dash when I try to turn it on with my foot on the break none of these lights were on when I drove it last
I haven't had this issue, but quite a few have had success by doing this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi1 View Post
try closing an locking all doors,trunk,hood... arm the oem alarm.. (keeping all fobs at least 15 ft from the car) then wait 30secs.. unlock the car get in an attempt the start again.. once running leave running for 5 mins for the cpu to reset.

From this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...w-battery.html
Good luck!
Old 02-19-21, 08:36 PM
jandrews7
Driver School Candidate

I have tried this sadly it didn't work
Old 02-19-21, 09:01 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by jandrews7
I have tried this sadly it didn't work
Are you getting the green light on the start button? Another thing worth checking is the starter ground cable/harness/connections.
Maybe even try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.
Old 02-19-21, 09:40 PM
jandrews7
Driver School Candidate

Yes I have a light on the start button I just replaced the battery so disconnecting and reconnecting won't do anything but I will try to get a look at the connections but it is my understanding that it is a complex process so I would rather just take the car apart once and just replace the starter then do it multiple times.
Old 02-20-21, 04:41 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

Have you had problems starting the car before where you would press the START button and it would not start and sometimes click, but after couple tries it did?

Double check the terminals, make sure both are clean and tightly installed.
Old 02-20-21, 05:33 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey I had to respond to this because I feel your pain! Had this happen to me 2 years ago. I swapped out battery then *click, click, click*. I had set an appointment with my guy that works at the Lexus dealership to come by and swap my starter. Then one night I got drunk and was hanging out in the garage with my brother. I sad in the car and just kept turning the car on and off making it click over and over and over for about 10 mins. Then IT STARTED!!! completely randomly. NEVER HAD THE ISSUE SINCE!! Moral of the story if the car was working fine before the battery replacement and you know all the terminals are tight and all. Go for it! Just keep your foot on the brake and keep pressing that start button on and off on and off it may start!
Old 02-20-21, 06:32 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by norviewguy
Hey I had to respond to this because I feel your pain! Had this happen to me 2 years ago. I swapped out battery then *click, click, click*. I had set an appointment with my guy that works at the Lexus dealership to come by and swap my starter. Then one night I got drunk and was hanging out in the garage with my brother. I sad in the car and just kept turning the car on and off making it click over and over and over for about 10 mins. Then IT STARTED!!! completely randomly. NEVER HAD THE ISSUE SINCE!! Moral of the story if the car was working fine before the battery replacement and you know all the terminals are tight and all. Go for it! Just keep your foot on the brake and keep pressing that start button on and off on and off it may start!
LMAO, that's a great story! And it's sort of what I was going to further comment about, that these early models can be quirky, especially regarding electrical issues. For future reference, is there any particular beverage I will need to consume, and is your brother available for these type of events?
Old 02-20-21, 06:35 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Originally Posted by lwphat66
LMAO, that's a great story! And it's sort of what I was going to further comment about, that these early models can be quirky, especially regarding electrical issues. For future reference, is there any particular beverage I will need to consume, and is your brother available for these type of events?
Absolutely! Crown Royal Apple and let me know whenever you need him I will pencil him in! Lmaooo
Old 02-20-21, 07:33 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by norviewguy
Absolutely! Crown Royal Apple and let me know whenever you need him I will pencil him in! Lmaooo
That'll work absolutely perfect for me! In fact, I'm currently taking proactive measures in the hopes that electrical issues like this will not even occur.....

The following 2 users liked this post by lwphat66:
miket000 (02-20-21), tx170754 (02-21-21)
Old 02-20-21, 08:25 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Originally Posted by lwphat66
That'll work absolutely perfect for me! In fact, I'm currently taking proactive measures in the hopes that electrical issues like this will not even occur.....

Cheers my friend. This is hilarious! Lmao
Old 02-20-21, 08:37 PM
jandrews7
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE

I was able to get it started by trying to turn it on many times and I guess I just got lucky. After I had turned it off I tried turn it back on but of course it didn't start. At this point I am like if it is the starter and Lexus charges me $2000 that is still worth it to not have to crawl around on the ground and not have my car for an extended period of time. My dealerships service department was open today so I called them and they said if I could get it started and drive it over there I could just leave it parked there until they were able to fit it into thier schedule (and I did get it started and over there because the engine was warm) and a couple of hours later they called me to tell me that it was the starter and it had just worn out after 93000 miles. I am still waiting for a final quote but labor was around $700 and they aid that they had a 10 or 15 percent discount for cars older than 10 years.

I would usually replace starters and stuff like that but I don't have time right now and all of my indoor space is taken up by my other car projects. I also really didn't want to exhaust manifold.

Last edited by jandrews7; 02-20-21 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-21-21, 05:30 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

They are hilarious, most dealers are displaying 10,15 and 20 percent discounts on their websites because of covid-19 and if your dealer doesn't have one in sure they would prove match it for you. It is a lot of work to get to the starter so make sure they change the gaskets on the Y pipe while they are in there. It should not be an extra cost since they have to remove the pipe anyway.

Quick Reply: 2007 LS 460 won't start with new battery