LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Car Hauler

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-21, 04:16 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Car Hauler

Do you guys have a name for a good car hauler to transport a car from Texas to North Carolina?
Old 03-04-21, 07:36 AM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

I used https://www.haulmatch.com/

I was happy with them. The online quote was what I paid, no hassles. Super easy and they answer the phone. Like most places they use whomever is cheaper / nearby to actually transport the car.
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (03-04-21)
Old 03-04-21, 08:05 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

It's a tricky process. My 600 was shipped 800 miles a year ago in an enclosed transport for less than $800. I recently contacted the same company for a quote on another vehicle to be shipped a slightly longer distance and their number was $1200 for an open transport. Not happy with that, I contacted others and got quotes ranging from $700 to $950.

Suggest getting multiple quotes and carefully read any available reviews.
fwhomeboy (03-04-21)
Old 03-04-21, 08:50 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Prices are based on the demand for the routing. As a prime example, if you want to ship a car from S. FL in April, you going to pay top $ as all the snow birds are going home. Now if you're shipping to S FL during the same time, it's going to be much cheaper as the trucks are needed in FL.
Old 03-04-21, 12:20 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

I used Door to Door and they quoted me a very reasonable rate and stuck with it. Car went from Palm Beach, FL to me here in Memphis. Took about 4 days once they picked up the car at the dealership. Very pleased.
fwhomeboy (03-04-21)
Old 03-04-21, 02:13 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Intercity Lines is a very good carrier. If you are concerned about the condition of the car, whatever carrier you use make sure it is a covered trailer.
Old 03-08-21, 07:19 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by R Z
I used Door to Door and they quoted me a very reasonable rate and stuck with it. Car went from Palm Beach, FL to me here in Memphis. Took about 4 days once they picked up the car at the dealership. Very pleased.
Do you remember what it cost you?
Old 03-08-21, 08:49 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
Do you remember what it cost you?
I looked it up. It was $634.

Last edited by R Z; 03-08-21 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-08-21, 09:47 AM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I've asked this question before on different forums and there is no "silver bullet" answer. Here are some replies:

Because from what I've seen for non-exotics, there are no actual transport companies. You have brokers who connect to the actual truck drivers via software called Central Dispatch. There is no company that does it all. Random truck drivers log in and see what is going where and they sign up for it. If no one does, the broker raises the price for that vehicle unit a match is made
There actually have been several threads about this, but I'll tell ya what I know. We ship cars all over the world every day, and often have multiple trucks on-site coming and going.

Your first option is to hire a specialized carrier to haul your car - that includes Passport Transport, Reliable Carriers, Horseless Carriage, Intercity, et.al. You work directly with the company, the company has a fleet of trucks and (reasonably) skilled drivers who understand how to properly handle rare/special/classic cars. You pay for this service, but trucking is one of the industries where you directly get what you pay for. If you have any issues, you are in direct contact with the company that owns the trailer, insures the job, and has processed the transaction.

The other way to go online and look for "car transport" and you'll get a bazillion different entities called U-Ship-It or Weshipyourcar dot com or whatever. They'll have photos of pretty ladies standing by to take your call in telephone head seats and smiling truck drivers next to gleaming, brand new equipment. None of this is true. When you call, you'll reach a broker who will toss your job out onto central dispatch and the first available/cheapest driver will come, more often than not, unannounced.

Method B isn't always bad... but it isn't always good, either. You often get guys with shoddy equipment, bad attitudes, or both. We see it all the time... a customer spends all the money on a great car, then wants to save $500 on shipping so they book their own. On many occasions we've turned drivers away for things like dodgy trucks, refusing to fill out inspection reports, showing up 14 hours late (yes), or not knowing how to drive a car with a manual transmission. I once watched a guy absolutely SMOKE a clutch on a big block 66 Corvette trying to get it onto his ramps. Had another guy miss the ramps entirely with a 70 Mustang Mach 1.

If you go with option B and you have problems, you could find yourself stuck between the broker and the trucker. The broker plays "I'm just the broker here" while the trucker claims "hey, talk to the guy you paid." It is rarely a pleasant experience. If you do go with a broker, make sure the insurance policy is clearly stated in writing, take photos of the loading process, including of the truck, his CDL, and DOT numbers. Take photos or video of the car being loaded.

I'm not saying you will be guaranteed to have problems if you go with a broker - we've had plenty of guys show up and be respectful, courteous, and prompt. But you should be very aware of how the process works and make sure you have ALL information in advance of giving the green light.

Above all, you get what you pay for.

These guys were recommended by a few posters: https://www.montway.com/
Old 03-08-21, 12:04 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Oh Boy!!! This is gonna be FUN.
Old 03-08-21, 06:45 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFasty
I've asked this question before on different forums and there is no "silver bullet" answer. Here are some replies:
Informative and entertaining read, thank you.
Old 03-09-21, 05:43 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Do you guys have a name for a good car hauler to transport a car from Texas to North Carolina?
Well, I was lucky. I got my car transported from Fort Worth TX. to Greensboro, NC. in an enclosed trailer for $600 bucks total. No problems at all. They picked it up yesterday at 6:30pm and it arrived here at 8:00pm today. Sweet...I used https://exclusiveautoshipping.com/
The following 2 users liked this post by fwhomeboy:
DaveGS4 (03-09-21), miket000 (03-10-21)
Old 03-13-21, 07:29 AM
ljerr2
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

oops.......posted in the wrong thread.

Last edited by ljerr2; 03-13-21 at 07:32 AM. Reason: posted in wrong thread
Old 03-15-21, 05:25 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Well, I was lucky. I got my car transported from Fort Worth TX. to Greensboro, NC. in an enclosed trailer for $600 bucks total. No problems at all. They picked it up yesterday at 6:30pm and it arrived here at 8:00pm today. Sweet...I used https://exclusiveautoshipping.com/
What, no pics of your new Bentley?
Old 03-15-21, 09:25 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by lwphat66
What, no pics of your new Bentley?
It's my Mom's old car. She was tired of paying the registration and insurance on it because she stopped driving it. She gave it to me. It's a 2008 Cadillac CTS. I'm busy cleaning it up. I wonder if I should post pictures here?
sdls (03-15-21)

Quick Reply: Car Hauler