LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake actuator and skid control ecu test

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-21, 03:26 PM
aristo1987
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Brake actuator and skid control ecu test

I found a way to find out if the brake actuator is about to go bad or about to take a dumb within the next few weeks or months. I wish i knew about this before i bought my ls460. But be warned I don't hold any responsibility and im not sure if the seller is going to let you do this. If the seller is confident that the brake actuator is good then it should pass the test in techstream under abs options. It will run thr brake actuator and all solenoids aka testing for internal leaks and pressure holding. If it passes you wont see any lights on the dash. If fails you will see a dash full of lights. Check the codes and you will know if the actuator or skid control ecu is bad. I just got my brake actuator replaced by the dealer. My actuator was totally fine before i did the test, memory reset and linear calibration in techstream. Unfortunately mine did not pass the test and i got all kinds of lights and codes and it end up being the actuator. So if you're buying a used ls460 and want to 100% make sure the actuator is good. Do the test, memory reset and linear calibration in techstream.

Be warned if you're planning on doing this i do not hold and responsibility. If you do this test and it pass that means your actuator is still good and wont be failing anytime soon but it fails. You're screwed. You will have to replace the actuator or the skid control ecu and theres no way to undo it. Once the test fails you are stuck with the code forever until you replace the actuator or skid control ecu. 90% is the actuator but you will know once you pull the codes.

Last edited by aristo1987; 03-27-21 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-27-21, 05:22 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 894 Likes on 660 Posts

If it is a legit Techstrem test there is no responsibility to bear. As a potential customer, you can request any Techstream test to be performed by a Lexus dealer with the seller's permission. You just need to request it. Though, I do not see how it guarantees any longevity. The only thing you can be sure is that the actuator passed all necessary tests at the time of sale.

It could be useful for anybody looking to purchase LS460.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (03-28-21)
Old 03-27-21, 05:39 PM
aristo1987
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Anfanger
If it is a legit Techstrem test there is no responsibility to bear. As a potential customer, you can request any Techstream test to be performed by a Lexus dealer with the seller's permission. You just need to request it. Though, I do not see how it guarantees any longevity. The only thing you can be sure is that the actuator passed all necessary tests at the time of sale.

It could be useful for anybody looking to purchase LS460.
This information was not suppose to be released. Im not going to name any names or which tech told me. I can assure you doing it this way will test if your actuator or skid control ecu is about to go bad or not. This will trigger it if your the actuator has any internal leaks or isnt holding the right amount pressure. This information is not in any master manuals. Its a insider thing.

but you would need to let the seller know that if it doesn't pass the test. The dash lights will lit up and it won't go away and the codes can not be eased even with techstream. So the seller must agree to this test. Because if it fails. Those dash lights and codes ain't going nowhere and your car will not be breaking like how it was before.

Last edited by aristo1987; 03-27-21 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-27-21, 05:58 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Thank you for sharing the information! I did mentioned that you need seller's permission. What I was trying to say is if something fails as result of a Techstream test and sets errors, it means the part needs to be tested and potentially replaced.

I am going to check the manual and see if there is anything about actuator testing.
The following users liked this post:
aristo1987 (03-27-21)
Old 03-27-21, 06:03 PM
aristo1987
Pole Position

Thank you for sharing the information! I did mentioned that you need seller's permission. What I was trying to say is if something fails as result of a Techstream test and sets errors, it means the part needs to be tested and potentially replaced.

I am going to check the manual and see if there is anything about actuator testing.
Goodluck theres nothing about it. What i meant is that. If you're looking to buy a used ls460 and you tell the owner can i run this test and it fails. I wont be responsible and your car will not be the same. Even though your car was fine before. Doing this test pretty much is triggering it early if the actuator is about to go bad.

Make sure you and the seller fully understand and agree or else they might make you pay for messing up their car. Probably could end up in court.

Just remember when you're going to go look at the car and theres no check engine lights or anything and if you run the test and it fails. You're responsible unless you and the seller agree to do the test.

Last edited by aristo1987; 03-27-21 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-27-21, 06:06 PM
aristo1987
Pole Position

If the actuator is bad or is about to go bad. It wouldn't even pass the test mode yet doing the memory reset and linear calibration process
Old 03-27-21, 06:15 PM
aristo1987
Pole Position

My car was totally fine before until I ran this test and it failed. It end up costing me a few thousands to get a new actuator replace. It much petty triggered it early. Better to now than later while driving and something happens.
Old 03-27-21, 06:24 PM
aristo1987
Pole Position

Here is the video on doing the test on techstream.
Old 03-27-21, 11:14 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I checked the manual. It has detailed instructions how to test the actuator with Techstream. It is done through a series of tests which are different from what the video above shows. There are steps how to perform on-vehicle and off-vehicle inspection.
Old 03-28-21, 07:33 AM
aristo1987
Pole Position

I checked the manual. It has detailed instructions how to test the actuator with Techstream. It is done through a series of tests which are different from what the video above shows. There are steps how to perform on-vehicle and off-vehicle inspection.
trust me the tech and i went through techstream. Hes been working at lexus for over 20 plus years. This is the process. If you dare do this test on yours and see if it passes. I hold no responsibility if this test triggers your brake actuator.