LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Some Minor Complaints

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-21 | 09:40 AM
XCskier80
6th Gear

Default Some Minor Complaints

I purchased a 2012 LS 460 back in August, which I love, but there are a few things I've noticed that I don't like. First, the power front seats will not go any steeper than about a 100 degree angle. I like to sit basically bolt upright when I drive, so having to sit leaning back like that bothers me, especially on long trips. It's also annoying when I'm trying to carry large things that require the passenger seat be moved forward for. Are all LSs like this or is it just mine? I can't imagine it's a mechanical failure that keeps it from moving more upright but I also find it hard to believe they would design it like that. Second, the heated seats are really slow to warm up and they don't get very hot. The seats in my friend's Mazda 3 warm up significantly faster and get much hotter than my LS. Has anyone else noticed anything similar? Third, I can't figure out how to get the MPG for the trip. I can see the MPG for the life of the car or since the last fill up, but I can't see it for Trip A or B. That seems like a pretty standard trip computer task, am I just stupid and can't find it or is there really no way to see the MPG for the trip? Lastly, I can't see the tire pressure readings anywhere. When I first got the car, they all showed up on the center display, but sometime in the first week of ownership they went away and I can't figure out how to get it back up. Thanks for any input!
Old 04-04-21 | 10:43 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Just push the display button on the steering wheel to cycle through the info to see tire pressure and current mpg. As for the seats, maybe you have it leaned back and don't realize it. If you push the lever that controls the back and forth movement of the seat straight down or pull it up this will change the angle of the seat.
Old 04-04-21 | 11:33 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XCskier80
I purchased a 2012 LS 460 back in August, which I love, but there are a few things I've noticed that I don't like. First, the power front seats will not go any steeper than about a 100 degree angle. I like to sit basically bolt upright when I drive, so having to sit leaning back like that bothers me, especially on long trips. It's also annoying when I'm trying to carry large things that require the passenger seat be moved forward for. Are all LSs like this or is it just mine? I can't imagine it's a mechanical failure that keeps it from moving more upright but I also find it hard to believe they would design it like that. Second, the heated seats are really slow to warm up and they don't get very hot. The seats in my friend's Mazda 3 warm up significantly faster and get much hotter than my LS. Has anyone else noticed anything similar? Third, I can't figure out how to get the MPG for the trip. I can see the MPG for the life of the car or since the last fill up, but I can't see it for Trip A or B. That seems like a pretty standard trip computer task, am I just stupid and can't find it or is there really no way to see the MPG for the trip? Lastly, I can't see the tire pressure readings anywhere. When I first got the car, they all showed up on the center display, but sometime in the first week of ownership they went away and I can't figure out how to get it back up. Thanks for any input!
1 - Owner's Manual
2 - Read
The following 3 users liked this post by xfea:
daddiojigg (04-04-21), mbarron37 (04-05-21), Protholl (04-06-21)
Old 04-04-21 | 06:09 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by xfea
1 - Owner's Manual
2 - Read
And to the OP, If you don't have your manual, you can go on Lexus Owner site, put in your VIN and download a PDF of the manual.

This is better than a physical manual, as in a PDF you can search for words that will find what your looking for.
Old 04-05-21 | 05:53 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

enjoy the car,

when a car was designed in 2005 and bought in 2020 common ergonomic misses are sure to be missed

have fun
Old 04-05-21 | 06:15 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Complaining that the seats don’t get upright enough is like complaining that the water in the shower isnt cold enough.
The following users liked this post:
Benjam1n (04-06-21)
Old 04-06-21 | 07:20 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Did you take a test drive before buying it? Most of these issues would have shown up there. The LS is a fantastic car enjoy it's benefits.
Old 04-06-21 | 07:41 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Maybe get some type of a booster seat?
sdls (04-06-21)
Old 04-07-21 | 06:03 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Originally Posted by XCskier80
I couldn't say anything about the seat position. In any event, I suggest you stay back away from the steering wheel as far as your arms will allow. I see various females that sit so close and so upright that their breastasis are practically touching. I feel sorry for them if they get in a crash, because the airbag is going to blow them into the back seat. Just me warning you to sit back from the steering wheel if you can. I'm a big stank ugly shrek of a human being, I have to lean back somewhat or my head will touch the headliner. Sitting back away from the steering wheel is easy for me, reclined back. I did seat design for Toyota and saw plenty of airbag testing. Trust me, you want to sit away from it.

Seat heaters - I can understand your issue here. There's nothing to do about it though. My wife likes to ride in my old Dodge Ram because it will literally burn her bottom, and she loves it. As a seat development engineer, we had to be very careful with seat heaters and the safety thereof. I can say, that is a lot of the reason for the performance difference you feel, is the difference in OEMs direction related to safety.

Tire pressure readings - If you turn on the cruise control system, the Tire Pressure readings are no longer viewable as one toggles through the different data displays on the cluster screen. I don't know why that is, and I strongly dislike it. Perhaps you are like me and one of the first thing you do is turn the Cruise system on (and losing the TP readout). When I'm cruising the interstate, I would really like to be able to see my air pressures, and how they're changing (warming) as I drive along. But I cannot see them unless I turn off the cruise and then run through the different displays. It is more than annoying, but that's just how it is.

MPG reading - As far as the mpg thing, I can't remember how it works so well on the LS, because I've been driving a different vehicle primarily for a while now. But it seems like there are only 2 available mpg readings. One resets automagically when the tank in refilled. The other must be reset manually. I reset the manual one when I get fuel, and / or at any other time I'm interested in seeing what I may get on a shorter trip, and then rely on the other one for the mpg of the tank. I'm not interested in the mpg over a period longer than a tankful, so it works out for me. But both of those are displayed when running through the different displays, so I'm not sure why you're not seeing that. Or maybe you're expecting a trip A mpg and a trip B mpg. It doesn't do that, I had a Honda Oddity that I think it did that and it was pretty nice to work with also.

Oliver Enterprises / 7milesout
The following 2 users liked this post by 7milesout:
NotFasty (04-07-21), sha4000 (04-07-21)
Old 04-07-21 | 06:16 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

7milesout, regarding the heated and cooled LS460 seats, do they have a peltier element providing the cooling? I need to settle the argument with SW17LS. He says they don’t have a cooling element.
Anfanger (04-08-21)
Old 04-07-21 | 06:21 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sdls
7milesout, regarding the heated and cooled LS460 seats, do they have a peltier element providing the cooling? I need to settle the argument with SW17LS. He says they don’t have a cooling element.
Lexus calls it ventilated seats because there is no actual cooling. Peltier element needs active/good passive cooling, it would be hard to adapt that inside seats. Seat blowers take air from underseat exhaust vents and push it through the seat. "Cooling" works the best when AC is on with cool temperature setting.
sdls (04-07-21)
Old 04-07-21 | 06:29 AM
7milesout
Advanced

To my knowledge the seats DO NOT have a cooling element. It is simply forcing air up through the seats with a fan (forced air). And, there is a floor duct right under the seat. So if a driver were to turn on max cooling and then select the foot mode or face / foot mode on the hvac, it will release cold air right under the seat. Then the fan will "suck up" that cold air and force it into the seat. And most butts will be able to discern improved seat cooling under those conditions.
The following 2 users liked this post by 7milesout:
jmcraney (04-07-21), sdls (04-07-21)
Old 04-07-21 | 06:33 AM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Just out of curiosity while driving today I put the seat back all the way up and it folded me into the steering wheel (even with the seat almost all the way back), definitely an angle less than 90 degrees. Also on my 2013, the seat heater, (when on the auto setting and HVAC controls set to hot) heats up damn quick and gets pretty hot.
Old 04-07-21 | 09:32 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7milesout

Tire pressure readings - If you turn on the cruise control system, the Tire Pressure readings are no longer viewable as one toggles through the different data displays on the cluster screen. I don't know why that is, and I strongly dislike it. Perhaps you are like me and one of the first thing you do is turn the Cruise system on (and losing the TP readout). When I'm cruising the interstate, I would really like to be able to see my air pressures, and how they're changing (warming) as I drive along. But I cannot see them unless I turn off the cruise and then run through the different displays. It is more than annoying, but that's just how it is.

Oliver Enterprises / 7milesout
I find that quite odd and disturbing. My displays don't change at all, whether the cruise control is just on or engaged. It may be time for you to get rid of it Jason. 07's baby!

Old 04-07-21 | 11:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 7milesout
To my knowledge the seats DO NOT have a cooling element. It is simply forcing air up through the seats with a fan (forced air). And, there is a floor duct right under the seat. So if a driver were to turn on max cooling and then select the foot mode or face / foot mode on the hvac, it will release cold air right under the seat. Then the fan will "suck up" that cold air and force it into the seat. And most butts will be able to discern improved seat cooling under those conditions.
Better luck next time lol
sdls (04-07-21)

Quick Reply: Some Minor Complaints