LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

VCV and ventilation system maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-21, 06:34 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 874 Likes on 646 Posts
Post VCV, ventilation and cooling systems maintenance

During the last service period, I noticed that both VCV hoses have cracks at the ends and one of hoses became effectively a rock. Upper ventilation hoses remain flexible but had cracks at each end and were very loose when connected. I ordered all parts from a local Lexus dealer as I get 15% discount (didn't have that until recently). It took a week to get all the parts!

There is a picture what I got. In addition, I ordered a throttle body gasket and a PCV valve tubing. I replaced all involved clamps.

Interestingly, upper ventilation hoses come with all necessary hardware including clamps.

VCV hoses do not include clamps and need to be ordered separately. The hose next the firewall uses different clamps on each side.

I forgot to take a picture of other VCV hose that uses same clamps on both side.

The maintenance is relatively simple and requires removal of upper cover, intake, air filters and its housing. I had to remove the VCV bolt and a harness bolt next to the left ventilation hose to the engine cover. It made it easier for me to remove and install the VCV and the left ventilation hoses.

Last edited by Anfanger; 04-24-21 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-09-21, 06:54 AM
ALK
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

I did this like a year ago. While i was removing the intake manifold for cleaning , all these hoses degrade over time and heat. When you try to remove it , it snaps into pieces .
Old 04-09-21, 08:18 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ALK
I did this like a year ago. While i was removing the intake manifold for cleaning , all these hoses degrade over time and heat. When you try to remove it , it snaps into pieces .
I have replaced intake manifold gaskets, resealed the valley plate and a ton of other stuff too. But, the hoses were not replaced until now.

I am going to replace small cooling system hoses soon. All large hoses were replaced already.
The following users liked this post:
ALK (04-09-21)
Old 04-09-21, 09:55 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfanger
During the last service period, I noticed that both VCV hoses have cracks at the ends and one of hoses became effectively a rock. Upper ventilation hoses remain flexible but had cracks at each end and were very loose when connected. I ordered all parts from a local Lexus dealer as I get 15% discount (didn't have that until recently). It took a week to get all the parts!

There is a picture what I got. In addition, I ordered a throttle body gasket and a PCV valve tubing. I replaced all involved clamps.

Interestingly, upper ventilation hoses come with all necessary hardware including clamps.

VCV hoses do not include clamps and need to be ordered separately. The hose next the firewall uses different clamps on each side.

I forgot to take a picture of other VCV hose that uses same clamps on both side.

The maintenance is relatively simple and requires removal of upper cover, intake, air filters and its housing. I had to remove the VCV bolt and a harness bolt next to the left ventilation hose to the engine cover. It made it easier for me to remove and install the VCV and the left ventilation hoses.
That was a sweet deal that you got that whole hose kit for 58 Bucks including shipping. Wait, What ??? LOL...
Old 04-09-21, 10:01 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

I replaced my upper ventilation hoses in January as well while doing valve cover gaskets and fuel pump gasket kits. Mine were very brittle and cracked coming off.
Old 04-09-21, 02:21 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
That was a sweet deal that you got that whole hose kit for 58 Bucks including shipping. Wait, What ??? LOL...
I believe, it was only for one upper ventilation hose. The total bill was something around $170 if I am not mistaken.
Old 04-24-21, 06:18 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I replaced small hoses in the cooling system today as a part of maintenance cycle. Also, I replaced the PCV hose and clamps which took forever because I did not remove the intake manifold.

I drained coolant using the radiator drainage valve then I removed following parts:
- Engine harness mounting nuts on the right
- Right filter box
- Metal cooling pipes mounting bolts
- Overflow tank
- Thermostat housing (it made work much easier and faster)

Two hoses connecting metal cooling pipes to the thermostat housing had to be cut to fit. If you try to install as is, hoses will kink and reduce or even block coolant flow. Purging instructions are written on the overflow tank.