LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

goodbye my 460L

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-21 | 12:15 PM
tiffany16
Driver School Candidate

Default goodbye my 460L

Hello, everyone. Last year I almost got a heart attack when the height compressor broke down, resulting in my car to lean to one side. Thanks to the wonderful support and suggestions from members here, my car was back to the road again. Fortunately Lexus stepped up to the mark, which is to my surprise. They could simply talk me down because the warranty was expired.

That incident has put me into disarray for months. I have decided to get rid of it when it still worth some money. I don't want to wait until this fails, that fails again and again. Long story short, I have sold this car to an older couple, whom were introduced through my supervisor from work. The dealers out there are bandits! Never sell your cars to them! One of them had the gut to offer $28k. Give or take. Kbb value (not sure if this the standard), says at least $32k. While I cannot say the car is in an immaculate condition, it is an one-owner car with every maintenance done at dealerships. The car still looks new inside out. No scratches, no dents. I don't drive much other than one long trip back to Illinois to visit my parents once a year. My workplace is literally walkable from my home. With only 41k under its wheels, it has only been a fraction of its lifespan, in theory. Nevertheless, I am not prepared for future nightmares like the one I had last year, therefore concluding that the best course of action is to sell it before too late.

This is the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life - buy a car new, Lexus or not. First of all, this would never be possible had my parents not helped. It took me years to work my a*** off to pay them back all the money I owe. Call me cheap but I would expect a Toyota to pretty much last forever, just like my parent's previous Celsior. I know many here is not going to like this but....I did go against what some suggested to have an upgrade to LS430. Almost half year into my new drive, so far problems free =) Never been a car expert but my theory to why it is so hard to find an older car, Japanese or European, is that they used to build cars with all they have and incredible attention to details but this tradition has long become a history. The new norm is rather like planned obsolescence such that they have constant incomes when a car is designed to fail....

My most sincere gratitude to that older couple, whom definitely have no financial problems in keeping the car for many years to come. They are like a savior to me such that I no longer need to be a paranoid to worry when the car will break down again. Everybody makes mistake and this is a huge one. I am very happy to move on with my LS 430. What a hefty price to pay for an invaluable lesson. Don't think I would ever buy a car again from Lexus, unless they produce a 202X LS 430 LOL.

Don't get me wrong. I did enjoy the time with my 460L, although initially I thought it would more be like a marriage / life-long commitment. The car is butter smooth, which is something that I hardly can experience from ordinary cars. My previous road trips were nothing but "floating on the road". I am sure all of you would agree with the ride quality a 460 offers. However, this car is just not for me.

Finally I do appreciate all the inputs I have had from this forum. Stay healthy and drive safe everyone.

Tiffany
The following 2 users liked this post by tiffany16:
CamelKool (04-21-21), TexasTea (04-21-21)
Old 04-14-21 | 12:26 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Sounds like you got out just in time. The only option you might have considered is trying Carvana with buying your car. They paid me a good chunk of change for my F Sport. Sorry you had issues, but most all cars have them. Good luck with your 430. It's a good car. Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
TexasTea (04-21-21)
Old 04-14-21 | 01:12 PM
jud149
Advanced

IMHO, if this is the worst mistake you have made in your life, I say you’re quite lucky. Toyota makes the best quality rated cars in the world as documented by many and it's unfortunate that your purchase didn’t work.

I have a CPO ‘11 LS460 that I bought in ‘13 that has been cost free other than routine maintenance. I had a couple of problems, a bad brake actuator and sticky interior parts that Lexus took care of at no charge many years after the warranty had expired. Try that with Mercedes or any other car manufacturer.

Again sorry for your experience but I personally wouldn’t write Toyota out of your future cars.

LS460Crown (04-21-21)
Old 04-14-21 | 02:49 PM
TriC
Racer

Glad to hear that things worked out to your satisfaction. Best wishes.
Old 04-15-21 | 07:52 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Glad it worked out for you. A better solution would have been not to get a LS with the Air suspension and get a RWD model. When I was looking at LS460's those were risks I was not going to take no matter how good the deal because I didn't want to deal with it at any time. There is no such thing as a reliable long lasting air suspension system, even on Lexus cars, they are best to be avoided unless you don't mind thousands of dollars in repairs in the future and possibly a un driveable car until it gets fixed.
Old 04-15-21 | 08:08 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Sounds like the LS460 was definitely the wrong car for you. Good luck with the 430.
Old 04-15-21 | 12:10 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Glad you were able to walk away. Sounds like you were not financially ready to own a Luxury car. if you were on edge owning an LS460L, you probably would have had a heart attack owning a Mercedes S560, BMW 7 or Audi A8.

I hope the LS430 is not a UL trim with air shocks. The cost for repair will be close to the same as the LS460 if it does.

Last edited by JLAWS; 04-16-21 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-15-21 | 01:04 PM
tx170754
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Glad you were able to walk away. Sounds like you were not financially ready to own a Luxury car. if you were on edge owning an LS460L, you probably would have had a heart attack owning owning a Mercedes S560, BMW 7 or Audi A8.

I hope the LS430 is not a UL trim with air shocks. The cost for repair will be close to the same as the LS460 if it does.
I had my 2015 4.0 T A8 since 2016, I did not put a lot of miles on it but drive it all the time, it is for sale right now but zero problems so far !
Old 04-15-21 | 06:11 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Enjoy your 430. The 460 isn’t for everyone. I know it wasn’t for me. We have to do what’s best for us, no one else.
Old 04-17-21 | 05:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Expensive cars aren’t for everyone, hope you’re happy with the choice. Like I said originally, going to the same car that’s even older when you’re concerned about reliability doesn’t make much sense to me but hopefully it works out.
Old 04-17-21 | 05:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by R Z
Enjoy your 430. The 460 isn’t for everyone. I know it wasn’t for me. We have to do what’s best for us, no one else.
To be fair, didn’t you love your 08?
Old 04-17-21 | 06:03 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
To be fair, didn’t you love your 08?
Great question. Yes it was the best of the best LS460 for me. Had I bought a 2011 or 2012 instead of the 08, I’d probably still be driving a Lexus. And yes, I do believe the F Sport wasn’t for me. Now with all that said, and I’ll preface this by saying IMPO, my G90 is the greatest car I have ever owned. Time will tell if I continue to feel that way. But for now, all I can say is WOW!!!
Old 04-17-21 | 06:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by R Z
Great question. Yes it was the best of the best LS460 for me. Had I bought a 2011 or 2012 instead of the 08, I’d probably still be driving a Lexus. And yes, I do believe the F Sport wasn’t for me. Now with all that said, and I’ll preface this by saying IMPO, my G90 is the greatest car I have ever owned. Time will tell if I continue to feel that way. But for now, all I can say is WOW!!!
I think it just came down to buying the wrong LS. Had you gotten an LS460L I think you'd have been way happier with it. The G90 is a great car, very similar to the LS and makes a ton of sense to go to after the 460.
Old 04-17-21 | 07:43 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think it just came down to buying the wrong LS. Had you gotten an LS460L I think you'd have been way happier with it. The G90 is a great car, very similar to the LS and makes a ton of sense to go to after the 460.
I agree that the 2017 460 L Executive Ultra model fully loaded would be closest to the G90. Again, IMPO, the G90 Ultimate is a better car for way less money. Still not sure if the LS has Napa Leather, real wood, 360 camera, wireless charging, etc. Look I love the Lexus brand. I've had 5. It's just time for a change, and for the money, the only thing I'm not getting, is brand recognition. But I believe the time is coming.
TexasTea (04-21-21)
Old 04-17-21 | 07:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by R Z
I agree that the 2017 460 L Executive Ultra model fully loaded would be closest to the G90. Again, IMPO, the G90 Ultimate is a better car for way less money. Still not sure if the LS has Napa Leather, real wood, 360 camera, wireless charging, etc. Look I love the Lexus brand. I've had 5. It's just time for a change, and for the money, the only thing I'm not getting, is brand recognition. But I believe the time is coming.
Its better from the standpoint that it has newer tech and more features, but from the perspective of the vehicle itself I don't agree. I would say they are remarkably similar. I drove a bunch of G90s before I got the LS460L, and they really are remarkably similar, to the point that if you closed your eyes when you were driving one (which I don't recommend lol) you'd be hard pressed to say which one you were in.

Of course the LS has real wood, always has lol. Semi-aniline leather is very similar to the napa leather in the G90, no wireless charging or 360 camera but that goes back to tech.
TexasTea (04-21-21)

Quick Reply: goodbye my 460L