LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Spark plug conditions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-21, 02:58 PM
userix
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug conditions

I was replacing some spark plug tube seals and decided to check my plugs.

Should I replace them? About 78k miles on these original Denso plugs

Old 04-25-21, 03:23 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Absolutely, install fresh ones! Why take them out again a little down the road for replacement.This way you don't have to think about it for sometime, if ever.
The following users liked this post:
userix (04-25-21)
Old 04-25-21, 03:26 PM
userix
Driver

Is that build up on the electrode prongs normal? That true but I heard plugs are good for 120k miles?
Old 04-25-21, 03:29 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

I believe, white buildup caused by oil leaking into combustion chambers.
userix (04-27-21)
Old 04-25-21, 03:35 PM
userix
Driver

Originally Posted by Anfanger
I believe, white buildup caused by oil leaking into combustion chambers.
i do have an oil consumption problem. I guess it is oil getting into combustion chamber because there is no visible leaks in the exterior of engine anywhere. I estimate 1.5qt every 2500mi. That’s how much I have to add to get the oil level back to the middle of the dipstick markings. That’s the reference point I use every time I top off after 2500mi

Can I use any of those head gasket sealer solutions to stop oil into chamber? I know head gasket is going to be costly
Old 04-25-21, 03:40 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Oil getting into combustion champers is usually not related to problems with head gasket. There are different reasons, for instance, valve seals, piston rings, faulty PCV valve. If you have a lot of oil in the intake manifold, it is time to replace the PCV valve.
The following 2 users liked this post by Anfanger:
ALK (04-25-21), userix (04-27-21)
Old 04-25-21, 04:48 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

DON'T use any of those "head gasket" snake oil products! You're definitely burning oil and the first place to start looking is the EGR/PCV. On a 2007, it's not worth replacing the rings or valve seals unless you are a DIY-er (just keep topping it up).
userix (04-27-21)
Old 04-27-21, 05:53 PM
userix
Driver

Oil getting into combustion champers is usually not related to problems with head gasket. There are different reasons, for instance, valve seals, piston rings, faulty PCV valve. If you have a lot of oil in the intake manifold, it is time to replace the PCV valve.

is there a quick way to check the manifold without removing it?
Old 04-27-21, 06:04 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Yes, remove the throttle body. You should be able to see inside the intake manifold.
userix (04-28-21)
Old 04-28-21, 11:54 AM
userix
Driver

In terms of oil getting into the spark plug tube itself, is the spark plug tube seal area the only possible entry point for oil? Is the spark plug tube one continuous piece with the rest of the valve cover, or is there another seam at the base of the tube where the spark plug sits that is a possible leak point?
Old 04-28-21, 11:59 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by userix
In terms of oil getting into the spark plug tube itself, is the spark plug tube seal area the only possible entry point for oil? Is the spark plug tube one continuous piece with the rest of the valve cover, or is there another seam at the base of the tube where the spark plug sits that is a possible leak point?
If oil gets into one or more tubes, it will not able to get into combustion chambers. But oil in spark plug tubes can ruin coils. LS460 is prone to such leaks and it is highly recommended periodically to replace spark plug grommets with valve cover gaskets (can leak too).
userix (04-28-21)
Old 04-28-21, 12:11 PM
userix
Driver

If oil gets into one or more tubes, it will not able to get into combustion chambers. But oil in spark plug tubes can ruin coils. LS460 is prone to such leaks and it is highly recommended periodically to replace spark plug grommets with valve cover gaskets (can leak too).
so in addition to the spark plug tube grommets at the top of the tube, the valve cover gasket at the base of the tube can leak too?
Old 04-28-21, 06:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

so in addition to the spark plug tube grommets at the top of the tube, the valve cover gasket at the base of the tube can leak too?
No the tube is pressed into the actual head casting, the seal inside the valve cover that contacts the outside of the tube is one leak point and the grommet on the actual coil is a guard against oil coming into the tube from a leak point such as the high pressure pumps etc.

You are lighting off oil inside the chambers from ingress past the rings or from the intake from a pressurized crankcase/failed PCV system......or in the worst case BMW style failing valve seals. That's the hardest to address time wise since usually the rings can be cleaned/freed up and it's actually easier to replace them than do all 32 valve seals and guides
userix (04-28-21)
Old 04-28-21, 06:30 PM
userix
Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
No the tube is pressed into the actual head casting, the seal inside the valve cover that contacts the outside of the tube is one leak point and the grommet on the actual coil is a guard against oil coming into the tube from a leak point such as the high pressure pumps etc.

You are lighting off oil inside the chambers from ingress past the rings or from the intake from a pressurized crankcase/failed PCV system......or in the worst case BMW style failing valve seals. That's the hardest to address time wise since usually the rings can be cleaned/freed up and it's actually easier to replace them than do all 32 valve seals and guides
In summary, there are two potential leak points: one at bottom of tube and one at the top of the spark plug tube?
Old 04-29-21, 04:27 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

In summary, there are two potential leak points: one at bottom of tube and one at the top of the spark plug tube?
No, oil gets into tubes only through failed spark plug grommets.

Quick Reply: Spark plug conditions