LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460L uneven inner front Rotor wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 09:20 AM
plane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS460L uneven inner front Rotor wear

Hi! 2010 LS460L has original everything except tires,rims, oil and filter; with a little over 30,000 miles on the car. Had the 19" peeling chrome rim issue and replaced with 4 more factory non chrome rims. Last year I pulled the front wheels to look at the brake pad wear after feeling a slight grinding/ slight vibration under heavy braking. Found both the front rotors have rust on the inner sides at the outer 3/4" or so. Making it look like a witness wear mark on the lower/inside 1 5/8" nice and shiny smooth and the upper/outside 3/4" rusty and rough. So my inside front pads are only partially engaging on the inside diameter of the rotor. The outside pad wear of the rotors look shiny and smooth.

Inherited this car when my parents passed at 9500. I believe it was driven very slowly by them and I tend to coast to stoplights and signs. Wondering if the brakes were ever bedded in and is it too late? Pads aren't really showing the uneven wear witness marks like the rotors are. Still a lot of pad left. Caliper pistons retracted quite easily so I'm not thinking they are sticking. And both front inner rotor sides have the same inner wear and rust on the outside 3/4".
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for trying to help!
Old 04-26-21, 09:41 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

I would ask somebody to press on brakes for you while you are watching how the brakes engage. Check for clearance between rotors and pads.

It is just pads, you might able to fix the issue without replacing the rotors.
Old 04-26-21, 06:06 PM
plane
Driver School Candidate

I hope it's not the pads, they look new still. In the related thread below; it shows a third picture that the rotor on the right looks just like my rotors. Inner 2/3 shiny and smooth, outer 1/3 all rough and rusty. Going to try and re- bed them.
Old 04-28-21, 09:36 AM
gtlou
Driver School Candidate

Default I have a 2010 Lexus LS 460 AWD, my chrome wheels are peeling on several wheels. Was t

[QUOTE=plane;11040980]Hi! 2010 LS460L has original everything except tires,rims, oil and filter; with a little over 30,000 miles on the car. Had the 19" peeling chrome rim issue and replaced with 4 more factory non chrome rims. Last year I pulled the front wheels to look at the brake pad wear after feeling a slight grinding/ slight vibration under heavy braking. Found both the front rotors have rust on the inner sides at the outer 3/4" or so. Making it look like a witness wear mark on the lower/inside 1 5/8" nice and shiny smooth and the upper/outside 3/4" rusty and rough. So my inside front pads are only partially engaging on the inside diameter of the rotor. The outside pad wear of the rotors look shiny and smooth.

Inherited this car when my parents passed at 9500. I believe it was driven very slowly by them and I tend to coast to stoplights and signs. Wondering if the brakes were ever bedded in and is it too late? Pads aren't really showing the uneven wear witness marks like the rotors are. Still a lot of pad left. Caliper pistons retracted quite easily so I'm not thinking they are sticking. And both front inner rotor sides have the same inner wear and rust on the outside 3/4".
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for trying to help![/QUOTE
my 2010 Lexus LS 460 AWD has the chrome peeling on my wheels. Was there a recall on the wheels?
Old 04-28-21, 10:18 AM
plane
Driver School Candidate

Not sure gt, From what I read around 5 years ago or so on these Lexus forums was that if you complained enough about it to the stealerships they would get the district reps to pay for new wheels. It was from the lost art of chroming I guess.... Bad chrome job. Not sure they will do anything ten years later. I replaced mine myself. Try searching peeling chrome rims on these Lexus forums. I had thought last year I had read about some recall or tech Bulletin adding another spring type clip for brake issues but I can
t find it anymore.