LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Michelin Pilot Sport Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 11:20 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport Tires

I've always used Michelin's on my cars and my '11 LS460 is ready for new ones. A favorite here on the Forum seems to be the Pilot Sports. What I'm finding (Costco) is a 3 and 4 series, both summer tires which are fine for me here in FL. Both have 20k mile warranties. The 3 has an a traction rating of A and the 4 AA. Then they offer an "all season" series 4 with a 45k mile warranty. Prices range from $230 a pop for the series 4 all season to $250 and $300 for the summer versions. I'm looking for a relatively quiet tire. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Also, my TPMS light has been on for some time and I assume it's the battery in one or more tires but don't know for sure. Costco offers to replace these, their own brand choosing I believe, and just wonder if I should trust the job to them. I sure don't want them replaced and then they tell me to go to the dealer for repairs as they can get the system working..

Last edited by jud149; 04-26-21 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-27-21, 08:28 AM
jud149
Advanced

Guess nobody knows nuttin about these here tires.

Anyway, I ordered (Costco) the Pilot Sport 4 All Season, $922 installed including tax. They come with a 45K mile warranty. Quite a deal I thought, especially the warranty, not to mention the price. All other Michelin's they show just have the 20K warranty and are higher in $. Salesman says they're a new series for which Michelin generally offers lower (introductory) prices. As far as TPMS, he said they'll check first for what the problem is before installing new sensors. Tires should be in next week.

Last edited by jud149; 04-27-21 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-27-21, 11:58 AM
rickup11
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you didn't give anyone enough time to respond.

Yes the PS 4 All seasons are new. They are what comes on the Corvette. They'll last you 40-45k. They'll work for your cruising needs in your LS. They can't hold a candle to the summer tires though.

The performance summer tires in the Pilot Sport line is the Pilot Sport 4S and the Pilot Sport 4. 4S is usually what you'll find because PS4 is usually reserved for OEM. 4S is better anyways over PS4. Yeah'll they'll last maybe 15-20k tops because they have 220 wear rating vs the 500 on the PS4AS.

Yeah, if you're looking for a quiet tire, the Pilot Sport is what you should be looking for. Pilot Sport series is for sports cars, high power SUVs, super cars, and sport sedans. If you want a quiet and long lasting tire, yeah the Pilot sports aren't for you. If you like doing canyon carving, then they're for you. Thats what the Primacy line is for, quiet and nice riding whereas the Pilot sports are harsher.

I'm running a Pirelli Pzero which is the equivalent to PS4S. I'll be happy if I get 20k miles out of this set. Yes, they have more noise than touring tires.
Old 04-27-21, 02:20 PM
ALK
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

I am running PS4 on my LS . The driving is way different , more direct feel . I feel more confident when driving now.
Old 04-27-21, 03:20 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Supposed to be getting Pilot A/S 4's on Friday. $950 all in with lifetime rotations and balancing at NTB. Got 42k out of the Pilot A/S 3+ and have been happy with them.
Old 04-27-21, 04:36 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

I have the pilot 4s on 2010 LWD and they are great! Highly recommend them. Also, from Costco
Old 04-27-21, 04:52 PM
jud149
Advanced

Originally Posted by hfahmy
I have the pilot 4s on 2010 LWD and they are great! Highly recommend them. Also, from Costco
How’s the tire noise level?
Old 04-27-21, 07:16 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jud149
How’s the tire noise level?
I think it has low noise level. I had the primacy before that and I did not observe any difference. My 2013 LWB has the continentals extreme contact and I don't like them.
Old 04-27-21, 07:17 PM
roshko
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I have pilot super sports on my Volvo S60R. These are the summer version of the ones you just got I believe. If they are similar, expect a louder tire, harsher ride, but a huge increase in handling etc, that you expect with these types of tire.
Old 04-28-21, 03:21 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 550 Likes on 338 Posts

I think you went with the right choice on the PS4 All seasons. I have PS4S on my GS and although I love them to death, I'll likely go with the PS4 all seasons on the next set to get the extra comfort and mileage. I don't nearly use the capability of the PS4S whereas on past 500-600hp cars, it made more sense to use them. The PS4S is a big jump over the Pilot Super Sport in terms of noise, conform and wet handling but they are still a very sport oriented tire and the all season version should provide a better compromise for a luxury car.
Old 05-14-21, 05:57 PM
jud149
Advanced

Had the tires installed today and In the few miles I’ve driven, they seem quiet and smooth. Costco also installed new TPMS sensors and that solved the light problem. The light is now out and I’m able to access tire pressure readings. They charge $35 a sensor installed.

Got a price from the dealer for sensors and was advised there was a $40 fee for first checking the system. Then they charge $150 a pop for the sensors (YIKES!). Not sure what brand sensor Costco uses but if they last just half as long as the OEM’s, I’ll be happy.

It’s my first tire purchase at Costco and I must say I’m impressed with their work. They did add too much air (nitrogen), 37 lbs., but I’ll adjust that and retorque the wheels after a few more miles.

The following users liked this post:
texas008 (08-16-21)
Old 05-15-21, 04:47 AM
lexus13dan
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Have pilot sport Great handling tire and quiet
Old 05-15-21, 11:24 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by jud149
Had the tires installed today and In the few miles I’ve driven, they seem quiet and smooth. Costco also installed new TPMS sensors and that solved the light problem. The light is now out and I’m able to access tire pressure readings. They charge $35 a sensor installed.

Got a price from the dealer for sensors and was advised there was a $40 fee for first checking the system. Then they charge $150 a pop for the sensors (YIKES!). Not sure what brand sensor Costco uses but if they last just half as long as the OEM’s, I’ll be happy.

It’s my first tire purchase at Costco and I must say I’m impressed with their work. They did add too much air (nitrogen), 37 lbs., but I’ll adjust that and retorque the wheels after a few more miles.
Two best places to buy tires locally are Costco and Discount Tire. Either place will bend over backwards in service and they stand behind their tires.
Old 05-17-21, 08:50 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldn't go anywhere near Michelin's. Overrated and underperforming on these cars. In all my research, I couldn't get past the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06. Went for it and couldn't be happier. Super quiet tires, great handling in wet/dry conditions (also live in FL, Tampa Bay). I've never been one to look at or care about the warranties because I got burned a long time ago and found that you have to fight tooth and nail to get tire companies to cover tires under warranty. I've got about 10k miles on the tires now, and again, I couldn't speak more highly of them. I had an older version of these on a Honda Accord I had a while back and they performed great for 53k miles. Rotate every 5k miles and you're good to go. I would also check with your local Lexus dealer because when I was in for a recall, my service advisor explained that they will price match any tire company and provide a warranty in house at the dealer. That alone gave me peace of mind, along with proper road force balancing and a proper alignment which most tire companies (Costco and Sam's included) can't do because they don't have the equipment.
Old 05-17-21, 09:56 AM
jud149
Advanced

To each his own, I guess. I've been using Michelin's for over 40 years and only had 1 problem. That was when I wasn't happy with the ride of a set I had purchased. I went back to the tire dealer who called Michelin and they replaced them free. This was a couple of months after the original purchase.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport Tires