LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Broken Control arms & brushings ‘07

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-21, 09:50 AM
lalaura
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Control arms & brushings ‘07

Gentlemen: I have dilemma with 07 LS. 132,000 miles. It’s been having some problems. Dealer said 6 of 8 control arms to wheels and brushings (?) are broken, that’s about a $4600 estimate + tax. Also, all my brake malfunction, check VSC lights, etc are warning - that’s a leak in the accumulator, which I can’t fix. What brand & who do ai buy the parts for the control arms from that are most compatible to Lexus? I will find a mechanic to do the work in my area. I have cancer & have to keep this car rolling & can’t afford replacing it - or a $5000 repair bill. I thought I was hitting hr jackpot just getting all of those sticky dash, door panels changed in the extended special warranty. I’ve read the leak in the accumulator, had I known by 2017, would’ve been an extended warranty item, too. Missed it. Last year. My car went off the dirt shoulder into water & a wrecker had to pull it out of mud from the tires...ever since, I’ve had the occasional weird noise & it felt like it was heavy driving, like mud was still in the chassis. Lexus claimed that was OK, State Farm had a claim but got off easily. For 6 of 8 of these control arms to be broken, could that have happened when it was pulled out of the water & mud? Claim’s been closed 13 months - wonder if I have a case w/ insurance to reopen or, if not, to get parts & have a mechanic outside of Lexus do it cheaper. Thank you. I am so stressed over safety issue. Appreciate it
Old 05-13-21, 10:05 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 898 Likes on 663 Posts

You can get aftermarket parts off Rockauto (for instance, ACDELCO, DELPHI, MOOG) except the accumulator.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...trol+arm,10401

If Lexus cleared the car at that point, I am not sure if you have a case an year later.

Last edited by Anfanger; 05-13-21 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-13-21, 10:22 AM
lalaura
Driver School Candidate

I wonder, too. My paperwork says customer reports noises.... Had I even known what for them to look for. They also said the seat functions checked out OK. They were, for a while. I had water inside car on passenger side & that’s the seat that has problems now I guess it shorted out later. State Farm wouldn’t cover new carpet ($2700) but did cover having everything taken out, cleaned, & re-installed. No smell but the small slit I had in my drivers seat upholstery is now 3x larger but ai was just happy it wasn’t totally submerged and I got another year out of it. Planned on keeping it anyway, with health I have to I will try with State Farm but getting parts & doing outside dealership replacement is my only feasible option. Is 1 brand proven to be exact size as the Lexus parts so mechanic didn’t have to retrofit or adapt something? This is a small town so I doubt any mechanic has had experience with this
Old 05-13-21, 06:03 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 332 Posts

When you say the control arms are "broken" I am hoping you mean that the bushings are worn out. If the control arms were actually broken you wouldn't be able to drive the car.

A good mechanic can definitely do that job for far less than the $4600 the dealer wants. You might want to post in the Florida forum here and ask about a good independent near your town.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/flo...exus-club-177/
Old 05-15-21, 01:32 AM
lalaura
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I took it to a friends husbands shop. He put it up on the rack to look - says I can drive it still. His book was telling him 14 hours labor to replace - I told him this forum had posts at about 8. State Farm said they’d pay IF diagnostics show it was the wrecker
pulling. Out of the swamp mud. But, it had to be an authorized repair shop ( there goes more reasonable pricing) their adjuster would inspect the parts & then decide if it was covered once they’re off - knowing at that point I can’t put the broken ones back on. If they don’t cover it,they will cover the cost of taking the damaged ones off.
Old 05-15-21, 04:37 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

It’s a 4 hour job MAX for any experience tech and believe me, they aren’t spending 4 hours to do this job...I bet some can do it in an hour and a half, it’s really that easy of a job and quite simply the most overblown thing on the internet I’ve ever seen.

Now, the brake actuator...that’ll cost you some dough unfortunately.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doublebase:
BlazeViper (05-15-21), sha4000 (05-26-21)
Old 05-15-21, 05:01 PM
BlazeViper
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Can't you do 1-2 brake fluid flushes to fix the brake actuator issues these cars have?
Old 05-26-21, 02:03 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Agree with Doublebase. I spent 12hr the first time, because I went super cautious. Now I could easily do it in 4hr.
The following users liked this post:
Doublebase (05-27-21)
Old 05-30-21, 05:20 AM
josh1234
Driver School Candidate

Is there a good alternative to the stock arms/bushings? I'm looking at an 07 LS460 2 hrs away on craigslist. The guy hasn't said a damn thing about these two issues! That leads me to believe he either doesn't know, or has yet to do anything about it. So then it becomes MY problem. Which to be honest, is something I could live with, provided I had my logistical plan in place before delivery. Especially installation!
Old 05-30-21, 08:24 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by josh1234
Is there a good alternative to the stock arms/bushings? I'm looking at an 07 LS460 2 hrs away on craigslist. The guy hasn't said a damn thing about these two issues! That leads me to believe he either doesn't know, or has yet to do anything about it. So then it becomes MY problem. Which to be honest, is something I could live with, provided I had my logistical plan in place before delivery. Especially installation!
The real fix to is buy everything all at once, if you only replace a few of the arms the load will follow the path of least resistance and wear out the older parts even faster. If you are having an issue replace ALL the arms and the shocks with 13+ parts if you are RWD and want comfort. If you don't want comfort put polys in them, they will last longer but ride harsh