LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 2014 SWB Brake Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-21, 07:47 AM
LexBob123
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LS460 2014 SWB Brake Actuator

Concerned. How do you tell if the brake actuator is failing. Does it give you any warning? I recently noticed a noise when at stop light while hitting brake pedal. It was kind of like a clicking on and off, when pushing on brakes. I can only hear when radio is off. Could this be early signs of brake actuator problem? I have 85,000 miles. And if it does fail, do i eventually loose my brakes?

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-01-21, 05:04 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 892 Likes on 659 Posts

Have you replace brake fluid? If not, do it ASAP.
Old 06-01-21, 02:20 PM
rickup11
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CHeck your thrust control arm. I thought mine was the brake actuator, but new control arms solved the clicking.
Old 06-02-21, 01:56 AM
LexBob123
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks Anfanger and Rickup11 for your response. Much appreciated.
Old 01-04-23, 10:44 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes you will lose your brakes if your brake actuator fails. I am now having the same problem. The Check VSC System light came on my dash board without any warnings. It says to pull over to a safe area and call the dealer. You will only have about 10 seconds to decide what to do. Whatever you do, do not do down any hills and to pull over as soon as you can to a stop using the brake pedal pushed firmly to the ground with very little stopping power. This is very dangerous and I feel this parts should be recalled or an emergency stop system installed if needed. If you were driving on freeway at 50-55, you will not be able to stop the car soon and it will take quite a panic attack knowing and bracing for the airbag will be exploding in your face soon. I am now looking to get the brake actuator and the brake pump accumulator replaced and searching for a place to buy OEM Lexus Parts at Club Lexus member rate. I remember buying from a dealer in Texas and it may have been Sewell Lexus who offered Club Lexus member special discounted prices. Hope anyone can chime in with that persons contact info soon. Thank you.

Last edited by DanozLS430; 01-05-23 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Adding photos
Old 01-05-23, 04:54 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 105 Likes on 89 Posts

was on sale at bell lexus north scottsdale before Christmas for $927
Limited Time Sale: 12 Days of Lexus 2022, 12% off Genuine Parts and Accessories

All Discounts:$ 296.47 (24% off)
MSRP: $ 1,223.49
Old 01-05-23, 08:11 AM
Bigguy818
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DanozLS430
Yes you will lose your brakes if your brake actuator fails. I am now having the same problem. The Check VSC System light came on my dash board without any warnings. It says to pull over to a safe area and call the dealer. You will only have about 10 seconds to decide what to do. Whatever you do, do not do down any hills and to pull over as soon as you can to a stop using the brake pedal pushed firmly to the ground with very little stopping power. This is very dangerous and I feel this parts should be recalled or an emergency stop system installed if needed. If you were driving on freeway at 50-55, you will not be able to stop the car soon and it will take quite a panic attack knowing and bracing for the airbag will be exploding in your face soon. I am now looking to get the brake actuator and the brake pump accumulator replaced and searching for a place to buy OEM Lexus Parts at Club Lexus member rate. I remember buying from a dealer in Texas and it may have been Sewell Lexus who offered Club Lexus member special discounted prices. Hope anyone can chime in with that persons contact info soon. Thank you.
You will loose your brakes? So what if those lights are on and it’s not the abs module, i don’t think you loose your brakes dude, you might not have ABS but loos your brakes. Where did you come up with that ?
The following users liked this post:
Winking (01-12-23)
Old 01-05-23, 09:34 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,230 Likes on 914 Posts

You will indeed lose all assist and be stuck with only the fronts requiring about 300# worth of leg power to stop the car in any reasonable distance.
swfla (01-05-23)
Old 01-05-23, 11:24 AM
bearcav
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob123
Concerned. How do you tell if the brake actuator is failing. Does it give you any warning? I recently noticed a noise when at stop light while hitting brake pedal. It was kind of like a clicking on and off, when pushing on brakes. I can only hear when radio is off. Could this be early signs of brake actuator problem? I have 85,000 miles. And if it does fail, do i eventually loose my brakes?

Thanks for your help.

That clicking is normal I believe. When you press the brake pedal the click is a solenoid. I think they all do it.
LexBob123 (01-07-23)
Old 01-05-23, 02:01 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigguy818
You will loose your brakes? So what if those lights are on and it’s not the abs module, i don’t think you loose your brakes dude, you might not have ABS but loos your brakes. Where did you come up with that ?
Once you see the Check VSC System light come on your dashboard, you will notice that your brakes will have no stopping power unless you press really hard down to the floor and also pump the brakes a few times. In the beginning, my Check VSC Light came on the dash and went away quickly like most others I read that this is happening to. I remember my Check VSC System light coming on and going off on its own really quickly. This should be cause for concern because when the Check VSC System light comes on and don’t turn off, you will have about 10 seconds to decide your outcome. If you’re going downhill, you may have to think really quickly on what your next move will be. I was so lucky and grateful that the Check VSC Light came on just after leaving a freeway exit coming to a hill stop sign. I was able to slow down on the uphill and drive to a flat area to park before getting the car towed. My mechanic just diagnosed that the problem is caused from a failed Brake actuator and the Brake pump accumulator. The parts alone cost about $3,000 from the dealer and the total cost will be about $4,000 for the repair. I decided to get the work done since I enjoy this car but hate the big repair cost that comes with it. Hope this information can help others. If you ever see the Check VSC System light appear on your dash board, I would advise to have your car looked at by a qualified mechanic for safety reasons. My 2007 LS460 has only 79k miles on it when this happened.

Last edited by DanozLS430; 01-05-23 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-06-23, 06:47 AM
user 710812323
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DanozLS430
Once you see the Check VSC System light come on your dashboard, you will notice that your brakes will have no stopping power unless you press really hard down to the floor and also pump the brakes a few times. In the beginning, my Check VSC Light came on the dash and went away quickly like most others I read that this is happening to. I remember my Check VSC System light coming on and going off on its own really quickly. This should be cause for concern because when the Check VSC System light comes on and don’t turn off, you will have about 10 seconds to decide your outcome. If you’re going downhill, you may have to think really quickly on what your next move will be. I was so lucky and grateful that the Check VSC Light came on just after leaving a freeway exit coming to a hill stop sign. I was able to slow down on the uphill and drive to a flat area to park before getting the car towed. My mechanic just diagnosed that the problem is caused from a failed Brake actuator and the Brake pump accumulator. The parts alone cost about $3,000 from the dealer and the total cost will be about $4,000 for the repair. I decided to get the work done since I enjoy this car but hate the big repair cost that comes with it. Hope this information can help others. If you ever see the Check VSC System light appear on your dash board, I would advise to have your car looked at by a qualified mechanic for safety reasons. My 2007 LS460 has only 79k miles on it when this happened.
This isn't the only scenario when you have the Check VSC System and lights. It sounds like your accumulator pump failed causing a no brake pressure scenario. I think that is more of a rare case but certainly not unheard of so the warning is valid. The scenario most encounter, I believe, is those errors are cause by the Brake Actuator not performing to some set parameters. In this case (the case I'm experiencing currently) the brakes have normal power but lack consistency in feel and pressure. The brake system pressure isn't being regulated well and leaking down constantly causing the Accumulator to constantly pressurize the system. Overworking the Accumulator this way can lead to the failure you've explained though. In either case, it's important to resolve the issue.
Old 01-06-23, 06:41 PM
Bigguy818
Driver

Not to jack the thread but I posted couple days ago what’s happening in mine and no one care to reply, my VSC +ABS+trac control + Brake light came on a few days ago and the day after I stepped on the gas and all lights went away, I didn’t loose the brakes or performance of the brakes at all so I don’t know what you guys saying about loosing control and brakes , DOESNT happend like that and the car wasn’t sliding in corners either when gas applied to sorta fish tail. My system makes noise when the car is off and lights came on and off 3 times. Idk I could be wrong but the codes were
C0205, C1242, C1300 n +C1391
Old 01-06-23, 10:53 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigguy818
Not to jack the thread but I posted couple days ago what’s happening in mine and no one care to reply, my VSC +ABS+trac control + Brake light came on a few days ago and the day after I stepped on the gas and all lights went away, I didn’t loose the brakes or performance of the brakes at all so I don’t know what you guys saying about loosing control and brakes , DOESNT happend like that and the car wasn’t sliding in corners either when gas applied to sorta fish tail. My system makes noise when the car is off and lights came on and off 3 times. Idk I could be wrong but the codes were
C0205, C1242, C1300 n +C1391
Your symptoms are different. Those warming lights can come on for multiple reasons. When you got the codes, what did the shop say to you?
Old 01-07-23, 05:36 AM
Bigguy818
Driver

After scanning , one of the techs at work said; it’s probably my speed sensor and that should fix the issue. I hope it is but I don’t know till it’s done.
Old 01-07-23, 06:23 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Hope a new speed sensor fixes the codes.
Bigguy818 (01-07-23)

Quick Reply: LS460 2014 SWB Brake Actuator