LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Transmission oil change. Required?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-21, 10:39 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by eelliiss
Did you both use gasket sealant and allow it to cure for 24 hours, or did you trust the new gasket without the sealant? Per the repair manual on other Toyotas, this is part of the typical process.
I don't use a gasket, I only use FIPG/RTV and fill in about 30 min. Only exception is if the vehicle has a damaged pan or trans rail. The gaskets never seal as well or for as long as RTV type sealants
Old 06-11-21, 10:42 AM
eelliiss
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I don't use a gasket, I only use FIPG/RTV and fill in about 30 min. Only exception is if the vehicle has a damaged pan or trans rail. The gaskets never seal as well or for as long as RTV type sealants
Ah yes, this is what I meant. For some reason, I thought it was noted to wait 24 hours before filling. Maybe I'm misremembering. Looks like you've had no issues, so that's awesome. Appreciate it.
Old 06-11-21, 11:23 AM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

I might have misread a post are you guys talking about using rtv on the tranny pan gasket surface? On the LS I would use a new gasket. It's got a unique shape for each bolt hole plus spacer bushings for each bolt. I don't see rtv working in place of the gasket.​​​​​​​

Old 06-11-21, 11:25 AM
eelliiss
Driver

Originally Posted by miket000
I might have misread a post are you guys talking about using rtv on the tranny pan gasket surface? On the LS I would use a new gasket. It's got a unique shape for each bolt hole plus spacer bushings for each bolt. I don't see rtv working in place of the gasket.
It's been a while, but I feel like the 4Runner called for a combo of the gasket and sealant with a 24 hour cure time prior to refilling.
Old 06-11-21, 12:03 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 226 Likes on 140 Posts

I might have misread a post are you guys talking about using rtv on the tranny pan gasket surface? On the LS I would use a new gasket. It's got a unique shape for each bolt hole plus spacer bushings for each bolt. I don't see rtv working in place of the gasket.
----
Mike is right. There is no need to use RTV or other sealant on LS460 transmission pan gasket. I replaced my transmission pan (due to a stripped transmission fluid release screw) about 2.5 years ago without using any sealant. There has been no leak, and the gasket sealed the pan well. Here are two related threads about replacing transmission pan and gasket that are informative:
1) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...e-process.html (ALK kindly posted the shop instruction for replacing LS460 transmission pan/gasket in Posting 11)
2) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ng-system.html
----
The following users liked this post:
eelliiss (06-11-21)
Old 06-11-21, 07:05 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

I was not referring to the 460 in particular, only that if a car came with RTV you should use that and not a provided gasket in a replacement filter kit. Some cars like the 460 need to use a gasket due to pan design but again I was not referring to only the 460 but more of in general, the person asked me if I used the seal on the RX and in that case no I didn't since it came with RTV only factory.

You don't need to let it cure more than about an hour if you don't want to risk any chance of issues, however I have have a grand total of zero leaks or issues across at least 400 pans with simply filling the trans once the car is off the lift/I'm done with everything else

Last edited by Striker223; 06-11-21 at 07:09 PM.
miket000 (06-11-21)
Old 06-12-21, 04:49 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Always been a big fan of transmission maintenance to prevent future issues. The LS460 is no different (although a pain in the rear in my opinion). Compared to a typical Toyota sealed unit, the thing I hate about the LS is where they place the fill plug: you need a pump to get the fluid up in that hole and it is a little tight in there to actually remove that plug. Other than that, yeah the temp check is a bit of a pain as well, but the whole job is totally doable. The front wheel drive 6-speeds on Toyota’s are a bit easier just because you can easily get at the fill plug and use a funnel (in stead of a pump).

If dealers are charging $150 to do a simple drain and fill with 4 quarts...yeah, I probably would consider that reasonable, just because you’re going to spend around $40-$50 bucks on the fluid and pump anyway. The only thing is...I just don’t trust people working on my cars...I don’t trust that they’ll do it right. Certainly most probably would, but I’d be afraid I’d get that one guy who would pull it in...not get the temp check right (or bother to do it), or not change the fluid at all (because honestly you never would be able to tell unless you were watching through the showroom window or standing right next to the guy). If you know a trusted mechanic, they are GOLD and people you should treat accordingly.
The following 3 users liked this post by Doublebase:
FreddyG (10-20-22), Persocon (09-06-21), RedHawk22 (09-07-22)
Old 08-16-21, 07:01 PM
marthal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eelliiss -
Appreciate your DIY attitude and ingenuity. I've got a 2010 460, but with only 70k. Trans fluid exchange, or leave it alone? and if leave it alone, until when?
I'm here in the Austin metro. Anywhere nearby? Would appreciate another pair of eyes resource.
Old 08-16-21, 07:31 PM
eelliiss
Driver

Originally Posted by marthal
eelliiss -
Appreciate your DIY attitude and ingenuity. I've got a 2010 460, but with only 70k. Trans fluid exchange, or leave it alone? and if leave it alone, until when?
I'm here in the Austin metro. Anywhere nearby? Would appreciate another pair of eyes resource.
I'm reluctant to give advice because so many are firmly rooted in one of three beliefs -
  • Don't touch the fluid at all as it is a "lifetime" fluid
  • Only do drain and fills; never change all the fluid
  • It's ok to exchange all the fluid

I fall under the third and least popular bullet point. I recently dropped the pan, changed the filter, and exchanged all the fluid with Amsoil Signature Series. I made a homemade contraption with a two gallon Home Depot chemical sprayer, 3/8th inch nylon tubing, and worm clamps. I disconnected the return line from the radiator and routed it to a graded bucket. I first pumped in the same amount of fluid that came out of the pan. I then had my wife start the car as I watched dirty fluid come out of the transmission and into the bucket. I allowed two quarts at a time, asked my wife to shut off the car, and then I would pump in the exact same amount. It flows pretty slowly from the chemical sprayer. Lastly, I put the vehicle into temperature check mode to make sure the fluid level is correct. See attached.

Not pretty, but it works.

I did this at around 136k miles. Almost to 138k and no issues. I've done this with multiple high mileage vehicles, and I've never had an issue. First time using Amsoil. Seems to be smoother, but I'm not sure it's ~$250 better than Valvoline Maxlife. At your mileage, I believe you would be safe with my method or drain and fills. The biggest thing is to make sure the fluid level is correct.

Edit: If you're looking for a shop to do it, I've heard that Long's Automotive is super competent and extremely well priced. I've never used them as I'm a DIYer, but I've heard really great things about them. I hear Rising Sun is really good, too, and they specialize in Japanese vehicles.

Last edited by eelliiss; 08-16-21 at 07:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by eelliiss:
miket000 (08-16-21), Persocon (08-21-21), texas008 (11-17-22)
Old 08-21-21, 08:37 AM
Persocon
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

i did the same thing eelliiss did; pump by running car until radiator return hose pumps out 3.5 quarts refill 4 quarts into pan and repeat, drain excess when done and level check. i used toyota fluid and this is my second pan drop with new filter, 184k miles on the car, 90k on first pan drop full fluid exchange, 20k miles on second pan drop full fluid exchange, no problems
eelliiss (08-21-21)
Old 08-31-21, 09:04 PM
Cavedog
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I had my 460 flushed at 155k by a Toyota dealer. The fluid looked like mud. Correct fluid no mess car runs fine. $300 I'll have it done again at 300k.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cavedog:
Nospinzone (09-01-21), Persocon (09-06-21)
Old 09-01-21, 02:25 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Cavedog, how many miles have you put on since the transmission flush?
Old 09-01-21, 10:45 PM
Cavedog
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I've put on around 3000 miles since the the flush. No problems so far. I did my old 430 myself and ran it 20000 with no problems. Traded it for the 460.