LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: What should i do
Should i keep shopping around
80.00%
Go head with my plan
20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Should i buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-21, 10:30 AM
PTalbert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i buy

Need some advice!! Coming out of a ls 460 2008. It had over 200,000 miles and currently on the way to the shop not sure what’s wrong with it. Hopefully i can get it back driving so i can get it to the dealership to be traded in with a 1000 dollars down payment. I found a 2014 Lexus LS 460 AWD 29,995 with 80,000 miles is this a good move

Old 08-24-21, 10:40 AM
pionear
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What was wrong with your old LS? Engine Problems? Not Starting? I'm actually looking at a few 2007-2010 LS models with high mileage...

But I dunno, you have some say that it's not worth spending $20K-$30K on a 7-15 Year old Used Car, then you have some here (Lexus Enthusiasts Like Myself) who likes the Brand and say go for it...

Me personally, that's not my Color or Exterior Style of LS, so it would be a HArd Pass for me. I would rather get one of the 6th Gen ES350 for that Price, if it had to be a Lexus
The following users liked this post:
PTalbert (08-24-21)
Old 08-24-21, 10:56 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 875 Likes on 647 Posts

You need to start with the service history available though the Lexus website. If service records are not available, I would walk away.
The following 2 users liked this post by Anfanger:
NewLexGuy (10-06-21), PTalbert (08-24-21)
Old 08-24-21, 12:30 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

So, it's an AWD '14 with 80k at a used car store. The only thing that we can tell from the photos is that it has the standard 18 inch wheels, suggesting (possibly wrongly) that it is a low option example. That it has been on CarGurus for 136 days with a mere $1000 price drop is telling. Unless it's a one owner with a perfect service history and no accidents, I would pass on it at the asking price.
The following 2 users liked this post by TriC:
NewLexGuy (10-06-21), PTalbert (08-24-21)
Old 08-24-21, 02:51 PM
PTalbert
Driver School Candidate

I believe it may be the brake Actuator the car comes on but will not move when you step on the gas car does nothing
Old 08-25-21, 07:56 AM
bdw
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd like to help you. However, as others have said, more information is needed in order to provide a meaningful response. In a very, very general sense, a 2014 at $30K with 80k miles is priced in the neighborhood of fair, perhaps with a touch in the direction of good deal with current market conditions (if in good shape -- perhaps a big assumption). But, some unknowns are content makeup of the car (can be identified by entering VIN at Lexus Drivers, drivers.lexus.com, website with an account -- easy to do), maintenance and such records (some or all would be available via Lexus Drivers website), number, if any, of accidents, condition, drive and mechanical feel, dealership trustworthiness, etc. In addition, you'll see what's up with your current vehicle. Don't discard the notion of keeping it for a bit if that the repair might strike you as reasonable, and keeping it strikes you as reasonable. If you have to move into a different car, then that's a reality, and you gotta do the best you can. Also, the ES is a very different feel -- including the current/most-recent ES version -- and drive from the LS 460. The ES is excellent. But, if you have a preference for the feel of an LS, the LS is notably better, with some things that can be pointed to, and some things that have a certain je ne sais quoi. Good luck!!!
PTalbert (08-25-21)
Old 08-25-21, 06:59 PM
PTalbert
Driver School Candidate

I have 2008 Ls 460 I didn’t keep up with the maintenance as i should have! its now a little over 200,000 miles the car needs a major tuneup all the fuses, spark plugs, brake actuator, oil change, control armed I’m smelling gas. on the 18th the made a right turn and the car completely shut off i try to step on the gas but nothing happened the car comes on but will not move . I got a mechanic that look at it next Tuesday my plans was to get it moving so i can can just trade it in and put a down payment.
Old 08-27-21, 07:53 AM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

I'm curious to find out what the issue is on your old one. I've driven with a failed brake actuator coupled with a failed brake motor. I doubt that is your issue. My car drove fine but was hella hard to stop. 2 feet on the brake, hard as I could push, plus I had to throw it in neutral before each stop light.

Were your engine rpms going up when you pushed the gas pedal?
Old 08-27-21, 09:47 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by PTalbert
Need some advice!! Coming out of a ls 460 2008. It had over 200,000 miles and currently on the way to the shop not sure what’s wrong with it. Hopefully i can get it back driving so i can get it to the dealership to be traded in with a 1000 dollars down payment. I found a 2014 Lexus LS 460 AWD 29,995 with 80,000 miles is this a good move
I'm going to say "No" based on your other post about not keeping up with the maintenance on your 2008. In comparison, My 2008 was Mint in and out and I keep up with all the necessary repairs. The question you have to ask yourself at your current age in life is do you really need this car and is it necessary to get into a $30K+ car note on a soon to be 8 year old car? It will not be maintenance free while you are paying the note. I've seen many times people pay for things and the stress of paying for something outweighs the enjoyment of having it, i.e folks being "house poor" buying a home in a sellers market and paying mortgage they can barely keep up with.

If your response is 'my money, my life" then ignore the above . There are much better deals on an Ls460 around $30k if you are willing to wait. Also newer cars at $30k that will get you better finance rates a bank is willing to offer vs a 8 yr old car nearing 100k miles.
Also based on where you live AWD is not necessary. AWD version cost more to maintain, less gas mileage due to extra weight and down 25 less horsepower (360hp vs 385hp). I'd look for a rwd one and make sure it had Mark Levinson sound system.

Last edited by JLAWS; 08-27-21 at 09:52 AM.
BlazeViper (09-23-21)
Old 08-27-21, 01:44 PM
bdw
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

........................................^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Off the main topic, but.........Pretty
JLAWS (09-11-21)
Old 09-09-21, 09:35 PM
Jonas3910
Driver School Candidate

Default Buying advice LS 460 2008

Hello members. I am new to the forum and am in the choice and qualification to acquire a fantastic car! I live in Svergie Malmö and here with us there are only a few on the used market, I think 5 s t. Probably because they are such reliable cars, I do not know but it is. The one I found has rolled 11,400 miles (7,000 miles) and a price of 220,000 Swedish kronor. A reasonable price according to Lexus, they say at a car dealer. It is never winter driven and is in a very nice condition but ...... The service book is listed until 2016 and 6000 km ago, it is a hope until 2020 which is the latest service and this is done within that period with the same owner. I talked to Lexus and they said that if it is that way (no 7500 km or 9000 km service) you have to do the great service immediately. It costs about ISK 14,000. However, they believe that there is no greater risk if you drive directly to the workshop after purchase, these cars are strong BUT must be taken care of! My question is whether one should dare to buy this? I am very interested but there is also a but ....? Should all buttons in the interior have backlighting so you can read the text in the dark? Water pump? Brake actuator? Grateful for answers, Regards Jonas
Old 09-10-21, 03:31 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

It is basically a new car minus the age. Did the Lexus dealer provide with a list of things they are going to do? If the car is really that good and you decide to purchase it. You would want to flush all the fluids: brake, coolant, transmission, differential, engine, and gas. You might new tires but I am not sure. Check the condition of interior for cracks, sticky areas etc. The gap in the service records is understandable and it seems to rely on mileage and not age of fluid.
Old 09-10-21, 03:39 AM
Jonas3910
Driver School Candidate

Hello and thanks for an answer! As you say, it is a big service that applies, in other words, a 90,000 km service is done around 114,000 km. It may be that they go on the years which then say that service should be performed on specified km or every 2 years.
volume_up
content_copy

Old 09-10-21, 03:42 AM
Jonas3910
Driver School Candidate

I only saw now that you mentioned gearbox and rinsing, should it be done on these models? Everyone talks about long life oil but I do not want to believe in such a thing myself ..... or am I wrong?
volume_up
content_copy

Old 09-10-21, 04:30 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Yes, it is done on these type of vehicles + the fluids are old and lost some of its properties. Some fluids are long life (coolant, for instance) but not life long.

Quick Reply: Should i buy