LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Unique Vibration Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-21, 05:56 AM
MisterDash
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Unique Vibration Issue

Hello CL! I just picked up a 2012 LWB with 135k miles. I’ve put about 1000 miles on her so far. A huge thanks to this community for helping me identify a cherry one owner vehicle that is in flawless condition with none of the typical LS problems. I couldn’t think this community enough for sharing knowledge!

The Issue:

As I drive anything above roughly 40 mph, I hear a pulsing hum and can feel the slight vibration in the steering wheel and my feet primarily. I can feel it in my seat too, but it’s a little bit more dampened there.

I know others have experienced a vibration, but mine appears to be different. Driving in a straight line on the highway the vibration is a steady pulse, roughly 1 second of vibration, one second no vibration, repeat. When I am making a sweeping left hand turn, the rhythm of the pulses speed up. If I make a sweeping right hand turn, the pulses and vibrations stop completely.

I had the tires balanced upon purchase and the alignment appears to be spot on. I read a ton of posts, and just couldn’t find an answer. Anyone had a similar problem or where to start my search for a resolution?
Old 08-27-21, 06:26 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 449 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterDash
Hello CL! I just picked up a 2012 LWB with 135k miles. I’ve put about 1000 miles on her so far. A huge thanks to this community for helping me identify a cherry one owner vehicle that is in flawless condition with none of the typical LS problems. I couldn’t think this community enough for sharing knowledge!

The Issue:

As I drive anything above roughly 40 mph, I hear a pulsing hum and can feel the slight vibration in the steering wheel and my feet primarily. I can feel it in my seat too, but it’s a little bit more dampened there.

I know others have experienced a vibration, but mine appears to be different. Driving in a straight line on the highway the vibration is a steady pulse, roughly 1 second of vibration, one second no vibration, repeat. When I am making a sweeping left hand turn, the rhythm of the pulses speed up. If I make a sweeping right hand turn, the pulses and vibrations stop completely.

I had the tires balanced upon purchase and the alignment appears to be spot on. I read a ton of posts, and just couldn’t find an answer. Anyone had a similar problem or where to start my search for a resolution?
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the recent acquisition! Although it could be suspension related, your description would have me checking the wheel hubs/bearings first. Maybe check the right side first. Not uncommon in vehicles with over 100k miles.
The following users liked this post:
MisterDash (08-27-21)
Old 08-27-21, 06:34 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 891 Likes on 658 Posts

Congrats on new car!

I would start with simple things: rotate tires, re-balance tires. If the issues persists, check the front wheel bearings.
MisterDash (08-27-21)
Old 08-27-21, 08:33 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Warped disk. My guess.
MisterDash (08-27-21)
Old 08-27-21, 09:13 AM
LuxuryCar1
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just throwing my experience in here. I also had a speed-dependent drone/hum and it ended up being a loose exhaust heat shield. I had the dealership check for me during an oil change, they confirmed there was a loose bolt, tightened it, and the sound went away.
MisterDash (08-27-21)
Old 08-27-21, 10:21 AM
MisterDash
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Warped disk. My guess.
Thank you, I have a brake pulse when I’m stopping so I’ll check this first. I’ve already balanced the tires and (I think) they rotated, but will double check. Thanks!
johnnyg66 (08-28-21)
Old 08-27-21, 10:22 AM
MisterDash
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LuxuryCar1
Just throwing my experience in here. I also had a speed-dependent drone/hum and it ended up being a loose exhaust heat shield. I had the dealership check for me during an oil change, they confirmed there was a loose bolt, tightened it, and the sound went away.
Thank you, I have a slight rattle when I first start and think this may be the culprit. It’s not the beautiful chatter we all love I’ll follow up here with process and resolutions in case anyone else has similar issues. Thanks!
Old 08-28-21, 08:52 AM
socampbell
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would still suspect a wheel bearing based on your description of the sound and since the sound changes when you turn a corner.
MisterDash (08-28-21)
Old 08-28-21, 09:42 AM
MisterDash
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by socampbell
I would still suspect a wheel bearing based on your description of the sound and since the sound changes when you turn a corner.
I’m leaning more towards this being the culprit. I’m going to swap rotors and pads already, so I might as well do the wheel bearings while I’m in there. I AM a little worried about fighting the removal based on other’s experiences! Thank you!
Old 08-28-21, 05:28 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

It is easy on AWD with right tools. It is more painful on RWD even with right tools.
MisterDash (08-28-21)
Old 08-28-21, 06:55 PM
MisterDash
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Anfanger
It is easy on AWD with right tools. It is more painful on RWD even with right tools.
Mine is RWD. Why is it so much more difficult?
Old 08-28-21, 08:00 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Front hubs, in AWD, have holes for axes. You can use a grappler tool (uses axle holes for mounting and pulliing) to pull out front hubs. Front hubs in RWD are different and cannot be used with grappler tool. You will have to chisel out the hubs which takes a while.
MisterDash (08-29-21)
Old 08-29-21, 05:02 AM
MisterDash
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Anfanger
Front hubs, in AWD, have holes for axes. You can use a grappler tool (uses axle holes for mounting and pulliing) to pull out front hubs. Front hubs in RWD are different and cannot be used with grappler tool. You will have to chisel out the hubs which takes a while.
Thank you for this info. Upon further investigation, I’m hoping this guy will do the job. For $80, it may be the ticket.

Old 08-29-21, 06:06 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I have seen a promo video of that jig but I decided against it because it puts too much stress on control arms.
Old 08-29-21, 06:17 AM
MisterDash
Driver School Candidate

Any tips you have or threads I’ve missed with solid advice on how to proceed?

Quick Reply: Unique Vibration Issue