LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Scan tool for LS460

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-21, 10:36 PM
LS460AWDFS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scan tool for LS460

Hello all!

Recommendations for a scan tool that can communicate with all of the modules in a 2014 LS460?

Old 08-30-21, 03:46 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 874 Likes on 646 Posts

Techstream is probably as good as it gets.
Old 08-30-21, 04:08 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfanger
Techstream is probably as good as it gets.
upvote for Techstream
Old 08-30-21, 06:47 AM
5ofakind
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Techstream yearly professional diagnostic subscription is also $1,300 / yr. Very expensive....How many car owners will opt for this....?

Most car owners are looking for a a little higher end scantool that communicates with most modules when that check engine light comes on

Last edited by 5ofakind; 08-30-21 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-30-21, 06:51 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5ofakind
Techstream yearly professional diagnostic subscription is also $1,300 / yr. Very expensive....How many car owners will opt for this....? Most car owners are looking for a a little higher end scantool that communicates with most modules when that check engine light comes on
You can get it on Ebay for under $20 but it does not last long. Either Ebay takes it down or it sells out.
Old 08-30-21, 07:41 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

You can get it on Ebay for under $20 but it does not last long. Either Ebay takes it down or it sells out.
​​​​​​
Not sure but try amazon.ae because we always have it on sale here in dubai they might ship internationally too
Old 08-30-21, 08:06 AM
LS460AWDFS
Driver School Candidate

A general scan tool is nice for checking engine codes and turning them off. But what about power steering, abs, airbag, etc.? Techstream is always going to be the leader but it is not a practical option because of the cost. There are hacked versions but I do not trust those because I have not been able to find any solid guides.

The reason I ask is because I rebuild vehicles and having these scan tools on hand to reset modules after an impact is very useful.
Old 08-30-21, 08:29 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LS460AWDFS
A general scan tool is nice for checking engine codes and turning them off. But what about power steering, abs, airbag, etc.? Techstream is always going to be the leader but it is not a practical option because of the cost. There are hacked versions but I do not trust those because I have not been able to find any solid guides.

The reason I ask is because I rebuild vehicles and having these scan tools on hand to reset modules after an impact is very useful.
Bro get the professional one that will be better for your purpose . One of my friend uses humzor brand and he can even program the lost keys with it it was around 300 usd it also clears abs and brake codes

​​​​​I dont know about your budget but there will be better options for your purpose
Old 08-30-21, 08:34 AM
LS460AWDFS
Driver School Candidate

That is what I am trying to research. A professional scan tool will still be cheaper than Toyota Techstream but there are so many options I was hoping someone on this forum could recommend one that they have used with Toyota/Lexus.
Old 08-30-21, 08:39 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LS460AWDFS
That is what I am trying to research. A professional scan tool will still be cheaper than Toyota Techstream but there are so many options I was hoping someone on this forum could recommend one that they have used with Toyota/Lexus.
Did you try posting this on the general or maintenance forum ?
Old 08-30-21, 08:42 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I got a generic Innova scan tool, it works for the most part. But there are some errors that can be read only by expensive aftermarket tools or Techstream.
Old 08-30-21, 09:02 AM
5ofakind
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$20 scan tools are very basic ....only read certain codes from a module or two....I know...I have one....i can clear the check engine light thou
Old 08-30-21, 09:31 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5ofakind
$20 scan tools are very basic ....only read certain codes from a module or two....I know...I have one....i can clear the check engine light thou
I meant, only Techstream license is going to cost that. If you search this forum, you will find some links even for less than that. But, you will still need an OBD adapter and a laptop with Windows on it, preferable Window XP or 7.

I think, a generic reader for around $100 should work with majority with errors. In addition, there is a number of Bluetooth based on readers that work with your phone. There are some for around $1k that can do advanced things including programming and erasing keys from the ECU.
Old 08-30-21, 09:53 AM
LS460AWDFS
Driver School Candidate

I meant, only Techstream license is going to cost that. If you search this forum, you will find some links even for less than that. But, you will still need an OBD adapter and a laptop with Windows on it, preferable Window XP or 7.

I think, a generic reader for around $100 should work with majority with errors. In addition, there is a number of Bluetooth based on readers that work with your phone. There are some for around $1k that can do advanced things including programming and erasing keys from the ECU.
Yes, I had my eye on the Autel and iCarsoft scanners as well as Topdon. There as so many different models though - wish it was more simple to identify which one I actually need and don't need.
Old 08-30-21, 11:40 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Won't be able to short term, but we have an Autel for my wife's racecar and could try to plug it into the LS at some point. Likely wouldn't happen until mid next week.

Edit - went and looked at the model Hers is a tablet style MaxIdas DS808; may be a littler higher end than your purpose but assume it reads the same as the cheaper ones do

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-30-21 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Scan tool for LS460