LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Clock spring

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-21, 12:27 PM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Clock spring

Is it necessary to reprogram the clock spring after replacing it. Is there a workaround?
Old 10-05-21, 12:45 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Parrokeete
Is it necessary to reprogram the clock spring after replacing it. Is there a workaround?
what’s there to program isn’t just wires that move
Old 10-05-21, 01:17 PM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jdanielca
my mechanic replaced mine because the horn wouldn’t blow and he replaced it with one I got off eBay and said when he installed it the warning lights all lit up so he put the old one back on. He said he researched it and that it requires reprogramming. After I got my car back I noticed the horn blows sometimes but not always.
Old 10-05-21, 06:41 PM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jdanielca
Yesh that’s what I thought as well. The Toyota dealer I took it to a few days earlier wanted $3600 to replace it snd the sir bag snd the sir bag was never deployed. Amazing what they want to charge for a simple repair.
Old 10-06-21, 02:01 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 451 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Parrokeete
my mechanic replaced mine because the horn wouldn’t blow and he replaced it with one I got off eBay and said when he installed it the warning lights all lit up so he put the old one back on. He said he researched it and that it requires reprogramming. After I got my car back I noticed the horn blows sometimes but not always.
If all other buttons work on your steering wheel, and it's just the horn that's intermittent, chances are good the clock spring isn't the issue. I had a horn that did not work at all, but after disconnecting then reconnecting plugs under the horn cover and to/from the clock spring, as well as moving wires and checking all connections, the horn worked as normal and continues to do so for more than a year now. The last page or two of this thread may provide some practical solutions. Horn not working - Page 4 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Old 10-06-21, 05:31 AM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lwphat66
If all other buttons work on your steering wheel, and it's just the horn that's intermittent, chances are good the clock spring isn't the issue. I had a horn that did not work at all, but after disconnecting then reconnecting plugs under the horn cover and to/from the clock spring, as well as moving wires and checking all connections, the horn worked as normal and continues to do so for more than a year now. The last page or two of this thread may provide some practical solutions. Horn not working - Page 4 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
This is some good information and I will check into removing and reconnecting it.